New rules for 2017?

JusticeOfToren

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I asked some friends that went.  They said   HQ indicated that it could be sometime after Jan 01, 17 before the new rules would take affect. 

Something along the the lines of them wanting to make sure they've got everything they way they want it because their goal is to not have any hanged for several years.  

So,.... who knows?!

Edited by B_RAD
This new format is awful! Can't edit! There's my reason!

Joyce said the 1 point per second down is still going to happen in 2017, but the new Rule Book will probably not go into effect on 1/1/17. 

Last 2 rule books took effect on 3/1/15 and 10/1/13.

There are other rumors floating around like more places to do reloads.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:36 PM, ES13Raven said:

There are other rumors floating around like more places to do reloads.

Like where?  We have behind cover, in the open with no cover "available", in a hallway or in a room once threats therein have been engaged.

33 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Like where?  We have behind cover, in the open with no cover "available", in a hallway or in a room once threats therein have been engaged.

I wasn't told specifics, but I was told by someone important in IDPA. It was said right in front of Joyce and Robert, so I have no reason to believe it's not true.

Just last February we couldn't reload without having a foot planted on the ground. Things can change ?.

How about:
You may reload any time any where any way you like, BUT:  You only get two extra rounds plus one extra per reactive or moving target.  Example, 18 scored hits, a popper, an activator and a swinger.  You get 18+2+1+1+1 = 23 rounds in gun and on person.  Speed reload with care.

Saturday's shoot at the outlaw club had an accuracy booster.  All static paper targets were scored Limited.  All static paper targets with shooter static were scored Limited 2 body one head.  Extras for insurance on movers or to get knockdowns OK. 

I realize these are different from regulation IDPA and do not offer them as amendments.  But you can try stuff out on your own.

Do any legal idpa reload anywhere with no mention of it being behind cover. So if you run the gun totally empty or retain the mag with rounds in it, reload wherever you feel like.

Now THAT would be enough to keep me in it versus the desire to leave over the 1pd=1sec thingy.

I'd be very happy if we could reload anywhere with no non-engaged targets visible.  

The part of IDPA rule that seems a bit puzzling to me has always been: why is it still considered "open" in front of paper targets full of holes?  For example, if I have engaged 2 targets positioned between 2 cover positions, moving from one position to another should be safe and not in "open", right?  Maybe people are concerned about these engaged targets might resurrect and pose danger?  It may be a possible scenario in real world but I feel it's a bit over engineering for a sporting game. 

There is a difference between "engaged" and "neutralized."

What would you think about a provision that reloading in view of a neutralized target would be ok, but if it turned out that you had a FtN on a threat visible during your reload, you would also get a FTDR? 

On the gamer side of the argument, you are already permitted to reload in a room or hallway after engaging the targets therein, so it would not be a huge step to allow reloading across a doorway or window after engaging all the targets available through the opening.

Shooting a head shot at threat target because a no shoot is blocking most/all of the body is ok! (Yeah, that's real world!)  

Reloading before slide lock and not retaining the mag with ONE round is not ok!  Cause it makes more sense to move to another position, with 2 rnds in the gun, so you can engage 3 new targets!  And it's ok to leave half your upper body, the part of your body where all the vitals are located, exposed to the targets but if your toe is past cover that's a PE!

The rules don't make sense!  I can't believe a course tought by any of the founders of IDPA would resemble an IPDA COF!

I keep repeating this!

Typical tactical training stresses keeping ALL your lower extremities under cover from unengaged targets.  From a safety officer standpoint determining 100% of lower is relatively easy.  Determining 50% of the above is a tougher but we seem to regularly do it without controversy. 

One thought on leaving "good" mags behind containing ammo is that it would be a self correcting situation.  Shooters would penalize themselves by running out of ammo before finishing a COF.  Don't know if the concept has ever been tested.

Reload anywhere.
If you want to keep it different/tactical/whatever, give a 1 point per penalty per round left on on the ground/magazine.

Getting a 3 second penalty for dropping an empty magazine is simply retarded.

Edited by IronArcher

From a match administration chasing all the mags on the ground before someone else in the squad picks them up may be a problem.

I'm thinking possibly IronArcher means 3 sec per loaded mag dislodged all the way to the ground from a carry condition?  What that rule's genesis is a means to penalize those who use ammo carry devices which don't properly retain; i.e. likely "speed" loose and not tight enough for all day carry.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, B_RAD said:

It be cool if you could reload anyway you want behind cover.  That would still be different then USPSA but be tactical enough to be IDPA. 

Can anyone explain the real world application to RWR?

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, B_RAD said:

A true Tactical Reload (ala Col. Cooper) has the first act bringing a fresh magazine to the gun... then ejecting the partial into the same hand... then trying to remember which mag is which and shoving the full one into the gun firmly enough to seat it while trying to juggle the other magazine. That's a lot of fine motor manipulation under stress. And, if you manage to accomplish all that you still have to stow the removed magazine before you shoot. Juggling two mags at once (especially double stack mags) is an open invitation to Mr. Murphy to bring his whole family for a visit.

I've seen mags dropped...the wrong mag put back in... mags not positively seated and falling out after the first round fired.

The RWR uses simple movements. Pull mag... shove into weak side pants pocket and as the hand comes out it's in a perfect position to pluck a mag from the weak side holders. I've run timer tests and the RWR is actually slightly faster for the shot after reload... and Murphy proof.

The "Real World" application to retaining a partially filled magazine is that it's still there for you if "your ice cream turns to dog poop". Since most CCW carriers (which is where IDPA leans towards) seldom carry two spare mags... one is generally it.

From a match administration chasing all the mags on the ground before someone else in the squad picks them up may be a problem.

I'm thinking possibly IronArcher means 3 sec per loaded mag dislodged all the way to the ground from a carry condition?  What that rule's genesis is a means to penalize those who use ammo carry devices which don't properly retain; i.e. likely "speed" loose and not tight enough for all day carry.

Normally, you would be looking at 2 mags on the ground or less.

Not talking about dropping a mag from a holder.

i.e. You purposely drop an empty mag doing a reload with 1 in the chamber. Zero penalty.
Same thing but 1 rounds in the mag,1 point (not 1 PE). 2 rounds, 2 points etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 9/25/2016 at 9:14 AM, Jim Watson said:

Maybe crossing a port after engaging all threats?

• 3 weeks later...

My big problem trying to be a crossover IDPA shooter is that if I'm not way down in the order, I will always drop a loaded mag leaving a position where I've engaged 3-4 targets.  Would be cool to not get penalized for that. Not going to happen, but would be nice!

On 9/27/2016 at 10:31 AM, B_RAD said:

Shooting a head shot at threat target because a no shoot is blocking most/all of the body is ok! (Yeah, that's real world!)  

Reloading before slide lock and not retaining the mag with ONE round is not ok!  Cause it makes more sense to move to another position, with 2 rnds in the gun, so you can engage 3 new targets!  And it's ok to leave half your upper body, the part of your body where all the vitals are located, exposed to the targets but if your toe is past cover that's a PE!

The rules don't make sense!  I can't believe a course tought by any of the founders of IDPA would resemble an IPDA COF!

I keep repeating this!

Luke you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to, depend strictly on our own point of view.

Obi-Wan Kenobe

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Yeah I don't get the RWR at all, either. In a shootout, the last thing you need to worry about is saving your mags.

Fortunately, I shoot revolver so it doesn't apply to me.

Will classes be adjusted for the new 1-point down? It really makes little sense. Not that I mind, I average in the top 20% for least PDs, so it'll be an advantage to me.

The cover thing seems stupid to me as well. I can legally stand on 1 foot and stick more than half my body out, but that all-important big-toe had better not be exposed!

For revos, allow > 6, moon clips on any gun, and 9mm as its more amenable to
moon clips. Guns > 6 rounds are no bigger than their legal six-shot brethren. Take some of those needless restrictions off of revos and more people would shoot them, as they would be more competitive overall.