Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a LARGE 1911 Ambi Safety

frgood

I have a Rock Island double stack .40 1911. The pistol seems based on the Para design.

Issue.
I am left handed. The ambidextrous safety (right side) digs in to the base of my thumb in a horribly painful way when fired. I rest my thumb on the safety and that is not going to change.

Question.
I tried rounding the edges of the safety to no avail. Have there been others with a similar complaint and how was it remedied?
what is the least costly method to safety selection? There are so many ambi safeties in the market and I would like something aling the lines of the extended thumb safety I purchased for my CZ TS .40. it was wide and arched making it both a safety and thumb rest.
Can someone recommend a large 1911 ambi thumb safety. I believe the Para frame design fits a generic 1911 safety.

Thoughts? Ideas?
frgood is online nowReport Post   Edit/Delete Message

I use an EGW ambi.  It is large as well.  I am right handed and it was rubbing on right index finger by the 1st knuckle.  I used a dremal until it no longer bothered me.  I removed a bit of material, but there is still enough on the right side if I need to flip it weak handed.

Edited by andrewtac
Miss read

Lone Star (a forum vendor) makes some really good wide and extra wide safeties.  I have a couple and they work/feel great.  I got the extra wide and whittled it down a little to fit my need.

The egw safeties are great, too. Especially if you are left handed as the supporting pin.

Edited by Bamboo
smart phone not so smart

1 hour ago, andrewtac said:

Well I can't edit, I was trying to figure out how your safety rubbed on your strong hand.  Anyways the egw is large and an improved design.

As a lefty, the gun is holstered on the left hip. as the thumb safety is exposed on the left side. If the action is not strongly positive, casual brushing of the arm against the pistol will  sweep the safety off and on. Contrary to right handed carry, where the safety extends inwards towards the body. It is less prone to external knocking.

Frankly, if the safety was only on the right side of my 1911, I might not find too as much of an issue.

I think you will be much happier with the EGW ambi safety.  It is a unique design and very robust.  Both paddles are large.  Engagement is very positive.  You can cut down the right side to Tactical width quite easily if desired.

Phoenix Trinity.

I've got SV wide, Lone Star and PT.   The PT is  the largest, and the shape of the paddles should work well for a lefty.

EXPENSIVE-----but worth it.  

I'm going to try a set of the Double Taps on the next build-----they look a lot like PT's at a bit less money.