Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other Loves?

NTH

Discovered shooting matches/Uspsa about 2 years ago....been all in ever since. Now my vacation travel takes me to major matches instead of nfl games, Vegas etc. Seems my hobby outside of matches now is reloading, cleaning guns, dry firing, reading this forum, buying more guns/parts/loading supplies...Wait I just realized all my other hobbies revolve around Uspsa...guess I'm in love. 

I get to shoot more than race. The driver never really was into shooting but in the last few years after shooting with me some he's bought a pistol, a sporting shotgun and just lately an AR. It's an addicting sport for sure!

15 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Hunting waterfowl.  But that can be put on the back burner depending on the weather in the winter.  If the range is having matches I'm there instead of in the blind but for sure that is my second choice.

Same here, I like to shoot and when you go hunting there isn't enough shooting for me.

3 hours ago, Husker95 said:

... I love shooting but I live to fish.  When that drag starts to scream its a mental/emotional high that is tough to match...........

I used to be that way, when I lived in Florida. Nothing like a giant snook, mahi/dorado/dolphin, or swordfish smoking on the end of the line... But now in Texas, it's all guns baby!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:25 PM, SCTaylor said:

I used to be that way, when I lived in Florida. Nothing like a giant snook, mahi/dorado/dolphin, or swordfish smoking on the end of the line... But now in Texas, it's all guns baby!

For me its light tackle up here in CO and NE; casting for trout, pike, walleye, etc.  And the ice - I love ice fishing.  Come up in January and shoot one of Cha_Lee's excellent Saturday matches and my son and ill show you what the ice is like - probably not much of that in TX

Ultra light gear and 4wt fly rods turn a guppy into a whale! Hard to beat that, especially with kids.

I have a sever aversion to ice, been south of the Red River for 10 years and only go north when required. We did have a bad ice storm, 3 years ago this winter, but I was in south Florida. :) 

Getting too disabled to do athletics any more, I expanded my legal office tendencies (I'm a legal assistant) to membership in a national legal assistants association, became a local board of directors member, and a national editorial board member of the association. I proofread our national publications prior to release, and write articles on legal things for one of them. Locally, I arrange for legal speakers (attorneys and the like) once a month for our local chapter members and guests. These occasions provide CLE (Continuing Legal Education) credit for attendees who have certifications (like myself) and need to support the certification with CLE credit ongoing.

I also petitioned the state of Oregon's bar association over the past year to change their CLE Rules at the state level to allow our guest speakers to collect CLE credit for teaching to non-lawyers. Almost no states in the U.S. allows this--and neither did Oregon until now. (But Idaho does, that I know of.)  Lawyers need to collect a certain amount of CLE credit each year, too, to support their status, just as certified assistants do. But with persistent and persuasive work, I can now bestow CLE credit to my guest speakers. 

So instead of lifting weights or running marathons, I chose to make a difference by journalizing educational material and "making a difference" at my keyboard at the legal/political level for the benefit of both lawyers and assistants alike in Oregon. What started as a simple pastime, turned into a major deal. And is sure has been fun.  B)

• 1 month later...

Attending my son's football & baseball games, hauling him around to practices.

He's 14 and started playing select baseball at 7.  It's tough to find time to shoot a match when your weekends are booked with tournaments.

But I'd rather watch him in a good tournament than sit 50-yard line at the Super Bowl.