Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 and GSI all tuned w/cast & Hi-Tek coating

AbitNutz

I have always had fits loading cast bullets with my GSI bullet feeder. Maybe some of you had better luck but it was a no go for me. Finally I hit upon the combo that my loader gear likes and my gun doesn't hate.

I use a Magma H&G #68 .45 SWC BB No-groove. I sent it to Hollow Point Mold Service and had a big HP put in it. I did that for several reasons,1:I Iike hollow points and 2: I wanted the bullet a bit tail heavy to try and make sure it dropped from the collator base first. So far so good. It never misses a beat going through the GSI collator.

My Master Caster just spits these things out, no problem. The HP doesn't cause any issue in the machine at all. The bullets in linotype weigh in at 181gr. (I have a tone of linotype)

I sized it using a Lee bullet sizing die to .451...wow is it hard to do! I finally had to use my Corbin press until it got lube in there. I think I'm going to use an old Pacific Super Mag that has 3 rams. I'm going to mount it upside down and get 2 more Lee sizing dies. 

Next, how does it go through the GSI seater? I use a Double Alpha through powder expander instead of Dillons. It doesn't overly bell the case mouth. You folks who use it on your MBF know how it works and why it's much better...at east it was for me. The GSI runs the bullet right in the case perfectly straight. No cocked bullets in the case mouth. The GSI SWC seating stem was a perfect fit. 

I use A Dillon carbide sizer, a Lee carbide taper crimp die, a Double Apha expander and the GSI seater. I'm going to mount a borecam in the powder check space. 

So great, it loads perfectly...how does my gun like them? Again, I seemed to luck out. I load these to 45 Super velocities. I haven't chronographed them yet but the load produces 1350 fps with 185gr jacketed bullets. I seat the bullet just about the case mouth. It's a good, accurate load. I have seen better groups out of this pistol but it's a good starting point. 

It was a good day :)

Sweet glad it all worked out for you. I don't currently cast but if I ever did I would probably go with the master caster cause from my research that's the most automated caster that doesn't cost the same as a house. What's your take on it?

It's a quality piece of equipment but it's really not any faster than a 6 cavity gang mold...maybe not as fast. What it is...is easier and more consistent. It;s done with one hand and you don't carry any weight. Once you have it all up to temp you just run the handle back and forth. You can do it while watching the freakin' TV. Mold changes are easy. I didn't buy mine with a PID, it doesn't really need it but I like PIDs. So I bought it later and now have to wire it in...

Casting was starting to lose its attraction for me till the Master Caster....and Hi-Tek bullet coating.