Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 gr recipe for steel challenge

johnbu

I looked, but didn't find this exactly...(and my google-fu us weak :( ) 

I'm coaching a scholastic action shooting team, which is a simplified version of steel challenge for middle and high school kids. They only need to hit the steel, no knock over and be over 750 fps.  We've been shooting rimfire only, previously and are now getting a squad of six shooters running 9mm. I'd like to give the kids the lightest recoiling flattest shooting loads possible. .

Does anyone have a recommendation for a light projectile with a reasonably available and inexpensive powder ?  thanks!

Unfortunately my steel 9mm load is a 115 gr over bullseye and that powder is not that available. (Bullseye, though over 100 years old, is still the most versatile powder for light to full power loading in most non magnum calibers) Take into account the basis of Light loads are usually light bullets with fast powders. WST, Clays, 700x, Solo 1000, would all work. You could also load up some 90-95 grain lead bullets with the powders mentioned above to be low recoil. Its been a common practice for years for guys to load up those 380 weight bullets in 9mm for steel. It would be cheaper to do as well. Acme bullet Hi-tek coated 95 grain RN are like $200 for 3k. If you prefer Jacketed Precision delta 95 grain bullets are like $260 for 3k. If you call these bullet/powder people you may get a better discount if you tell them what your doing for the kids! good luck

Edited by BallisticianX

1 minute ago, BallisticianX said:

Light loads are usually light bullets with fast powders. WST, Clays, 700x, Solo 1000,  all work. Or  90-95 grain lead bullets

:bow:     Just have to make sure they work the action - fully eject the fired round and seat another cartridge.

Wife and I run 3.7gr N320 behind 115gr Acme coated bullets.  Very soft in our 9mm 1911s with appropriate springing.  N320 is "expensive", but the difference on a per cartridge basis is pretty minimal.  You're likely talking polymer guns so it may also depend on the springing options available if such changes are practical.  Good luck.  Your efforts in coaching these young men is greatly appreciated among the shooting community.

I loaded some XTreme 115's with 4.2 of titegroup.  Actually made PF at around 128, but soft shooting from my M&P Pro CORE.  I tried some lighter loads, but the didn't cycle the CORE with RMR, but did cycle regular M&P PRO.  I believe the lighter load was 3.8 or 3.9 of TG.

On 09/21/2016 at 8:51 PM, RickT said:

Wife and I run 3.7gr N320 behind 115gr Acme coated bullets.  Very soft in our 9mm 1911s with appropriate springing.  N320 is "expensive", but the difference on a per cartridge basis is pretty minimal.  You're likely talking polymer guns so it may also depend on the springing options available if such changes are practical.  Good luck.  Your efforts in coaching these young men is greatly appreciated among the shooting community.

^ and young women! We have about 30% ladies on the team.  Good shooters too!.

Sounds like about any "fast" powder and light bullet.  thanks.

I am also looking to load up some 9mm rounds for steel challenge match this weekend. I currently load 147 gr xtreme with 3.1 gr TG for minor loads. My plan was to load 124 gr plated bullets I have with the same powder drop. Anybody else do something similar?

From all the kind advice here and other research, the lightest projectile at the lowest legal speed (Over 750 fps) will give the lightest recoil.  then it's a question of reliable cycling and adjusting speed for accuracy with that load.

I'm going to try some 380 projectiles along with 115gr and use a fast powder...probably red dot and will start by getting the speed down around 825fps.  my concern is if the kids can get lighter springs to cycle light rounds.  They have glock 34, m&p pro, sig 320, xdm 5.25 and my kid runs a tanfo lim pro.  getting them all light and reliable.... "challenging".

I reckon a 115gn RN of some type with about 2.8-3.0gn of clays (maybe even as low as 2.5gn would work). or 3.0-3.2gn of universal would be a pretty soft but still accurate load (and I'll be trying something similar for my production 9mm steel challenge load. my open load will use a slower powder to give at least some gas to the comp. :)

once you get much lighter than 115gn you start getting very short bullets with very short bearing surfaces and I tend to think their stability and accuracy tapers off a bit. though 90gn pills going 1200 fps are silly soft to shoot. :)