Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140 to 170 mag extension 2011

thepunishur

I"m not aware of one. The largest extension I know of is the Taran 7g and that's still 2 or 3 rounds at best. My guess is that even if they do exist you are going to encounter all kinds of problems and for the price you would be better off investing in a 170mm. I run the MBX 170mm mags with Taran spring, follower and 7g base pad and get 30+1 starting or 29 reloadable. I haven't had a single mag issue since I switched to this setup. You have to very slightly file the mag rails to fit the Taran base pads on the MBX tubes.  

9 minutes ago, alucardus said:

I"m not aware of one. The largest extension I know of is the Taran 7g and that's still 2 or 3 rounds at best. My guess is that even if they do exist you are going to encounter all kinds of problems and for the price you would be better off investing in a 170mm. I run the MBX 170mm mags with Taran spring, follower and 7g base pad and get 30+1 starting or 29 reloadable. I haven't had a single mag issue since I switched to this setup. You have to very slightly file the mag rails to fit the Taran base pads on the MBX tubes.  

Does that fit in the mag guage?

3 hours ago, Mhall said:

Does that fit in the mag guage?

That setup definitely doesn't fit the gauge. SV 170 tubes with 4g pads won't even fit... I found out the hard way and now I have a gauge. TTI 7g pads are only for 140s in open.

I tried to use the Para/Dawson pads on my 140 SV tubes, & the follower kept getting stuck under the indent on the sides. So I tried it on a 126 STI tube. With Grams guts & a Arredondo spacer, I get 25 reloadable. Been 100% reliable. The indents go all the way to the base pad rails so nowhere to get stuck. 

Hello: There are various versions of the SVI 140mm old style tubes. Some have the side indent that does not go all the way to the bottom and some that do. The STI 140mm mags will get the follower hung up on the ribs on the sides unless you change the transition and polish them as well. Thanks, Eric

15 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

That setup definitely doesn't fit the gauge. SV 170 tubes with 4g pads won't even fit... I found out the hard way and now I have a gauge. TTI 7g pads are only for 140s in open.

didn't think so...