Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers

Boy

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, I was all set to stop and get powder and primers after work yesterday, but it was not needed. Hopefully we'll see prices continue to slide. Some powders local are $130/8lbs. Primers are still $30/k- $35/k though. I still have SP CCI primers from a sale last year where they were $22/k.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running into Fed small pistol match primers at Cabelas the last few weeks.  Not a lot but enough to stroll through the isle when I'm there just to see.   Something like 4/5 trips in the last 2 weeks I have left with Fed SP match primer bricks.  

I need to buy 10,000 winchester small pistol primers for practice.  I've got enough Federal to use for matches for a while, but I hate to start using them for practice.   I haven't been in the market for a while, but haven't seen squat in the last week.  How long has this been going on?  Any suggestions?   I'm watching GunBot, MidSouth, and Powder Valley.  

Thanks

For practice I have been using the S&B primers exclusively.  At $20-24 per 1000 they are hard to beat, and work very well. 

Their additional benefit - buy them at your local Cabella's, no shipping, no haz mat. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:31 PM, TDA said:

I'd be fixing the gun if it only ran reliably on one specific brand of primers.

It's not about the gun, it is about the mainspring.

The Shadow I have will run reliably on anything with the 13lb, but it has the 11 in it now which will run Winchester and Federal. The person I bought it from let me know it will run Federal only if I wanted to go down to the 8 pound spring for decreased DA pull.

7 hours ago, ARy said:

If most people took the time to learn how to reload from an old school revolver guy, primers wouldn't be such an issue. Load them deep - if you don't see a dimple, not deep enough. I load 9 mixed brass at .008-.010" 

Photo_2016-11-29_10-00-40_PM_zps7eizfizu

Unless that pocket was reamed, I can't see how to force a primer that deep. I've loaded with a hand priming tool and can't get it that deep. Federal primers are sensitive and I'd be looking for some blown tubes on my Dillon 650 if I tried to force it. BTW,If you are an old school revolver guy, can you explain to most of us people your technique? I have the time. 

Unless that pocket was reamed, I can't see how to force a primer that deep. I've loaded with a hand priming tool and can't get it that deep. Federal primers are sensitive and I'd be looking for some blown tubes on my Dillon 650 if I tried to force it. BTW,If you are an old school revolver guy, can you explain to most of us people your technique? I have the time. 

I haven't measured, but looking at his pics my RCBS bench mounted can push them very near if not that far with ease, it presses very evenly and just flattens them no dimple.

However, even with a lightened striker spring it's not necessary so far as I can tell. Never had an issue with any I knew were below flush, did have issues when I just ran rounds off and didn't do any inspection at all... my LnL's primer seating is not the most consistent. WSPs are pretty much all I use.

I would think spps would be available by now. Surely you all have enough?? I've been looking for Federals for months now and no luck. I could use Winchester, but I differentiate minor/major loads by using Federal for minor and Winchester for major. That way if I find any loose unknown loads, if the primer is silver it's minor, primer is gold I know it's major

I would think spps would be available by now. Surely you all have enough?[emoji57] I've been looking for Federals for months now and no luck. I could use Winchester, but I differentiate minor/major loads by using Federal for minor and Winchester for major. That way if I find any loose unknown loads, if the primer is silver it's minor, primer is gold I know it's major

Use CCI they're silver and leave the federals for revolver shooters

• 4 weeks later...