Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?

GrumpyOne

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:34 AM, Makdaddy said:

i have just started Steel Challenge matches this year and i am really having fun with it.  I use a Ruger Mark III Target w/ iron sights and a Majestic Arms Speed Strip Master Grade kit installed by Dino. I use the MK because it feels like a natural extension ergo wise, more so than 22/45.  Also use a S&W 15/22 in rifle totally stock for now , i may look to customize a bit in the near future. Also at some point i'd like to get a S&W 617 in the mix. 

link to vid of speed strip kit install if anyone cares to view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PF7hTY01Q8&feature=youtu.be

Your 15-22 must be the model with the non-threaded barrel to be able to use it in NJ. Mike S and I owned and used full race 15-22s up till last year. To go to the NJ NSSF match in 2015 we had to build 10/22s as our 15-22s were not legal in NJ. We finished first (Mike) and second (me). I won't be going this year as the PNTC SC match the same weekend is fully sanctioned. But I will be sending one of my 10/22s with Don F. as his race AR-22 is also not legal in NJ.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, photoracer said:

Your 15-22 must be the model with the non-threaded barrel to be able to use it in NJ. Mike S and I owned and used full race 15-22s up till last year. To go to the NJ NSSF match in 2015 we had to build 10/22s as our 15-22s were not legal in NJ. We finished first (Mike) and second (me). I won't be going this year as the PNTC SC match the same weekend is fully sanctioned. But I will be sending one of my 10/22s with Don F. as his race AR-22 is also not legal in NJ.

Yes, it is the ugly sister of the bunch without the break, although i looked into having it threaded and pinned and after some testing i decided a break was kind of pointless on the 15/22. As it obviously doesn't help with recoil and it also didn't really help with report in terms of timer picking it up, which was my main reason for consideration. So it would just end up adding useless weight i felt it didn't need. Eventually i'm looking to add a carbon fiber hand-guard(  http://www.taccom3g.com/ultralight-handguard.html ) and possibly a CF stock as well , but spoke to guys over at Taccom  they said it's not currently available.  Just as well, as i didn't feel like hacking off the tube.  My local club just started hosting sanctioned SC matches this year , and now i hear that we may bring in NSSF as well. I never shot an NSSF match before and look forward to it. I just might go full on cowboy for those with big hat and a lever action.  Nice going in the NJ NSSF match btw.

• 5 months later...
On 9/21/2016 at 8:32 PM, jkrispies said:

I hesitated to answer because it's not actually built yet, but I'm far enough along that I know what I'm doing.  It will be a Marvel Unit 1 conversion on top of a fitted 80% 1911 frame.  I'll have one barrel topped with iron sights, and another barrel with an attached comp and C-More.  This way I can swap either out without losing zero.  

Once the Marvel upper is running to satisfaction, I'll also fit a Single Stack Minor upper on the same frame.  This way my iron-sighted rimfire workouts will essentially serve as USPSA Single Stack practices on the same trigger, etc.  Theoretically I could also use the SS Minor configuration for Limited Steel competitions, as well as Single Stack Steel competitions.

(Since Zack brought up his, my rifle is a 10/22 built with Kidd parts.)

PS to Sir Grumpy:  if you can still modify your poll, you might want to add the Nelson conversion to the same line as Kadet and Marvel-- it's a nice variation of the Marvel design and gaining some solid reviews, including from some guy named Leatham.  I shot one, and it was excellent.

Not quite done yet (still need to do finish work mainly) but I was able to shoot it last weekend.  Sweeeeeeeet!!!

IMG_3071.JPG

I voted for the S&W 617 but recently go the  bug to try the  automatic.  I picked up my son's Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target and shot a match and liked it.  I had two jams during the match but didn't get discouraged.  In January I bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45.  I put in a Volquartsen Trigger Kit.  I've since added a TK trigger, TK Halo racker, and a Tac-Sol comp.  I just switched to the TK Game Changer Comp.  It boasts a Allchin Mount and a C-More with a 12 minute dot.   Last week I shot with no jams.  That felt good. 

For ammo I'm using CCI Mini Mags but may change to SVs.

Mark IV 22-45 white background.jpg

My 22/45 has Volquartsen trigger & bolt. Rifle is a 10/22 with Kidd goodies. UL barrel, bolt, 2 lb single stage trigger. 8 MOA Burris FF 3 on both. They both run and shoot perfectly. 

The Kidd rifle trigger is probably the best purchase I have ever made. I'm sure there are others out there that are as good, but I can't imagine anything being better. I just wish Kidd made 22/45 parts. 

6VOVgCR.jpgI checked other because mine is not listed as a choice....Wife and I both shoot a Frankenruger's

Volquartsion lower and all internals, VQ compition bolt with Tac sol extractor,  4.5 inch tac sol upper, Madd Mac's comp, C more optic 12 moa, Hogue grips Bill Striplin Thumb rest, and majestic mags

Here photo worth a thousand words :)

Edited by xpierrat

Unfortunately, I cannot find a steel challenge anywhere in metro Detroit. But I did take my S&W Victory to USPSA practice and put up a bunch of steel. Just messing around and I thought it was really nice. It is all stock and I could not be happier with it. Maybe one day I'll mess around with it and get a new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapped S&W Victory for a Ruger MKIV. Volquartsen match trigger, pic rail, Burris 8 MOA FFIII. Currently, Ruger MKIII-style target grips, but waiting for something better.

Reason for swapping... better trigger, eats any load I feed it, ... .1/2 inch 25 yard accuracy....and strips for a thorough cleaning in seconds, without the wrench. Love it!

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:32 PM, zzt said:

I checked other also.  I first tried shooting it with my Hammerli.  Worthless.  I tried Rugers.  Problems.  I went to a full on Volquartsen Scorpion.  Didn't cut the mustard for me.  I then bought a Buckmark Camper and turned it into a full race gun.  Trigger job, Tacsol barrel, custom comp, Al grips, red dot rail and sight.  This was the cat's meow for quite a while.  It was faster and more reliable than the Rugers.  After a couple years it started misfeeding.  I can't figure out why.  Because of that I needed a new pistol.

I bought a Marvel Precision Unit 1 with the .400" to .499" accuracy guarantee and their comp.  It makes a tremendous bullseye gun when mated to my custom STI frame, but is cycles too slowly for outlaw steel.  It would be fine for official steel challenge courses.  

I then had Chet Whistle from CW Accessories build a complete upper using his new barrel and the Exo3 slide.  He built it using all his parts, except for the GSG bolt.  The slide with Spring plug and bushing come in at 6oz.  Finish is phenominal. A Burris FF3 is mounted directly to the slide.  Using the progressive spring, cycle speed with CCI 40gr Minimags is very, very minutely slower than the Buckmark.  I shoot much better with it, because it is on a 1911 frame, and that's what I use for most of my shooting.  This is the rig I'll be using for the East Coast Steel Challenge match. 

Most pistols shot a lot will require a rebuild every few years. And by that I mean all the wearing parts like springs, sears, etc. My first .22 racegun pistol was my late wife's bullseye Browning Buckmark (I repurposed it before she passed). Once I got it finished and broken in for awhile I had a stretch over about an 18 month period where it had no failures and no malfunctions includes duds and stovepipes. A period during which I shot 49 rimfire matches. Sometime after that it started having light strikes and other issues. After trying various fixes I eventually replaced the mainspring and the problems ceased. But I did not do a complete rebuild so it was never as totally reliable as it was during that 18 month stretch but  close (that is a hint). Now I know better. Since then I built a custom FrankenRuger Mk III from parts that is my main open rimfire pistol. Totally reliable when shooting CCI, but I know that eventually once it gets somewhere above 25K rounds I need to take better overall care of it. The Buckmark will eventually return as my Limited rimfire pistol.

SC-RC-Open.jpg

Edited by photoracer

I have a Mark III without the replaceable grips panels.  One complaint of mine is the very narrow grips.  On the newer models with replaceable grips, are thicker grips available?  Which thick ones do you guys like?

Here is my current NSSF / Steel Challenge gun.

S&W Victory

12 moa C-More Slide Ride

Striplin Custom Gunworks Cmore Mount

Striplin Custom Gunworks Thumb Rest

Allchin Comp

Volquartsen Fluted Barrel

Tandemkross Victory Trigger and Halo Charging Handle

Bullseye Gun Grips

vic.JPG

On 5/1/2017 at 7:17 AM, chilly636 said:

What front sight is that?

That is a Dawson Precision sight for a Ruger 22/45.  Fits right in.  I went with the .490 tall and .100 wide as the width is what my other competition guns have.

That is a Dawson Precision sight for a Ruger 22/45.  Fits right in.  I went with the .490 tall and .100 wide as the width is what my other competition guns have.

Awesome thanks! That's good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk