Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?

GrumpyOne

What rimfire do you shoot for Steel Challenge and why?  

317 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now a 22/45 target model with iron sights.  I really like the idea of the 22/45 because it mimics the ergonomics of a 1911.  I had my 22/45 before I started shooting competitively and now I want another one.  Same gun just the light model with a comp and dot.  Only thing I wish it had different was an interchangeable barrel like the victory.  That really is an awesome touch and makes it so much easier and cheaper to switch it up if you want to.

I'm not a big rimfire shooter so wanted a semi-auto gun that didn't take a lot of tinkering and wouldn't  break the bank.  With that in mind I have an old stock Camper that works well, and recently got a Buckmark lite for less than 400 bones.  Added an Allchin mount ($45) and an old Cmore  and it is good to go.   Only other mandatory accessory is the Ultimate Cliploader...that thing works great. 

One of the coolest rimfire guns I saw at the last Steel Nats was an old High Standard.  I RO'd and it was the only High Standard I saw.  A club I used to belong to had them in their armory as club guns and they were awesome to shoot.   

22/45 mainly because i fell into an awesome deal on it when i first started. Now that i've shot it for 3 years i don't see why i would want anything else though. I made my grips and thumb rest then put in vq trigger parts and thats about it. Also runs bulk ammo nearly 100% 

Hated to answer with only one gun choice. When I'm in 2011/1911 mode I use my Kimber conversion. Currently I'm in Glock mode and use AA conversion on a G22. When dabbling  in Open , I use my custom M41 with Cmore. And last but not least, I have a foundness for the round gun and use my Dichara tuned 10 shot 617.

All that being said, my best times have been with Kimber conversion,and that's why I chose "other" in voting process of this post.

Hated one choice also. Currently my open pistol is a FrankenRuger. VQ alloy MK III lower receiver mated to a TacSol Pac-Lite upper, Bear Cave 90 degree mount, C-More w/16 MOA dot, Allchin comp, and Hogue G-10 grips. Only Ruger part is the bolt because I don't like the VQ bolt's pinball type racker, Majestic Arms racker, TK titanium firing pin, 7 mags w/ TK extended basepads (11 rounds) and Arredondo thumbrest.

Edited by photoracer
added info

I checked other also.  I first tried shooting it with my Hammerli.  Worthless.  I tried Rugers.  Problems.  I went to a full on Volquartsen Scorpion.  Didn't cut the mustard for me.  I then bought a Buckmark Camper and turned it into a full race gun.  Trigger job, Tacsol barrel, custom comp, Al grips, red dot rail and sight.  This was the cat's meow for quite a while.  It was faster and more reliable than the Rugers.  After a couple years it started misfeeding.  I can't figure out why.  Because of that I needed a new pistol.

I bought a Marvel Precision Unit 1 with the .400" to .499" accuracy guarantee and their comp.  It makes a tremendous bullseye gun when mated to my custom STI frame, but is cycles too slowly for outlaw steel.  It would be fine for official steel challenge courses.  

I then had Chet Whistle from CW Accessories build a complete upper using his new barrel and the Exo3 slide.  He built it using all his parts, except for the GSG bolt.  The slide with Spring plug and bushing come in at 6oz.  Finish is phenominal. A Burris FF3 is mounted directly to the slide.  Using the progressive spring, cycle speed with CCI 40gr Minimags is very, very minutely slower than the Buckmark.  I shoot much better with it, because it is on a 1911 frame, and that's what I use for most of my shooting.  This is the rig I'll be using for the East Coast Steel Challenge match. 

I hesitated to answer because it's not actually built yet, but I'm far enough along that I know what I'm doing.  It will be a Marvel Unit 1 conversion on top of a fitted 80% 1911 frame.  I'll have one barrel topped with iron sights, and another barrel with an attached comp and C-More.  This way I can swap either out without losing zero.  

Once the Marvel upper is running to satisfaction, I'll also fit a Single Stack Minor upper on the same frame.  This way my iron-sighted rimfire workouts will essentially serve as USPSA Single Stack practices on the same trigger, etc.  Theoretically I could also use the SS Minor configuration for Limited Steel competitions, as well as Single Stack Steel competitions.

(Since Zack brought up his, my rifle is a 10/22 built with Kidd parts.)

PS to Sir Grumpy:  if you can still modify your poll, you might want to add the Nelson conversion to the same line as Kadet and Marvel-- it's a nice variation of the Marvel design and gaining some solid reviews, including from some guy named Leatham.  I shot one, and it was excellent.

i have just started Steel Challenge matches this year and i am really having fun with it.  I use a Ruger Mark III Target w/ iron sights and a Majestic Arms Speed Strip Master Grade kit installed by Dino. I use the MK because it feels like a natural extension ergo wise, more so than 22/45.  Also use a S&W 15/22 in rifle totally stock for now , i may look to customize a bit in the near future. Also at some point i'd like to get a S&W 617 in the mix. 

link to vid of speed strip kit install if anyone cares to view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PF7hTY01Q8&feature=youtu.be

volquartsen scorpion with a cmore rts2 red dot.  Use it because of reliability.   We have 3 shooters in the family that share it and I can go to a level 2 steel match and shoot 8 stages x 3 = 24 stages total without fail.  I have thousands of rounds through it and don't even clean it.

I'm using a stock Victory right now, with a Burris FFIII 8 MOA. The grips suck (for my hands) and I have to remember to take a 'death grip' with my shooting hand thumb in 'just the right position'. If I don't do that the rounds start to wander. Grip tape on the front strap helped some, but it's not perfect. Would be very interested in oversize grips when someone starts to make them. I like the trigger rhythm better than my MKII. It's more similar to my CORE that I shoot in CO. And the Victory eats everything with no malfs. Boringly reliable. Groups under an inch at 25 yards with standard velocity loads.

I'm using a stock Victory right now, with a Burris FFIII 8 MOA. The grips suck (for my hands) and I have to remember to take a 'death grip' with my shooting hand thumb in 'just the right position'. If I don't do that the rounds start to wander. Grip tape on the front strap helped some, but it's not perfect. Would be very interested in oversize grips when someone starts to make them. I like the trigger rhythm better than my MKII. It's more similar to my CORE that I shoot in CO. And the Victory eats everything with no malfs. Boringly reliable. Groups under an inch at 25 yards with standard velocity loads.

Volquartsen makes oversized grips

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So i realized that I never talked about my RFPO gun.  I'm using a Victory.  It just had its first outing at the East Coast Steel.  And since I suck it could have been a better day.  However, the Victory was 100% flawless.  I was running Federal AutoMatch ammo and not one misfire, FTF, FTE or double feed.

Upgrades:

Tandemkross Victory trigger - this was awesome.  Out of the box reduced trigger pull by a full pound, Tandemkross basepads, Tandemkross Halo charger, removed the mag disconnect bar.  I swapped the front sight for a Dawson narrow sight designed for a Ruger (https://dawsonprecision.com/ruger-22-45-fiber-optic-front-sights/).  But not really using it as I was shooting open.  Used a cheap red dot and realized I need to upgrade as it was getting lost in the sun against the white targets.

I plan on upgrading to a threaded barrel and adding a Tandemkross Game Changer comp in the future.

17 hours ago, photoracer said:

Best to go for a C-More with at least an 8 MOA dot and maybe larger. If you like the small sights, short of a Trijicon RMR, I suggest the Burris FastFire3, the 8 MOA version.

That is the plan.  Trying to find a used one as I don't have the funds currently to purchase one new.  Debating on upright or 90 degree mount... not sure what I'm going to like more.

I use the laydown mount. I made my own first mount back in early 2009 when I had a local gunsmith start building me an STI with the CCC 90 degree mount. I wanted to shoot that setup before I got my open gun to see if I even liked it, and I did. Tried going back to straight up a couple of times since but can't shoot a pistol that way anymore. With a mini red dot its not needed since the window is pretty low anyway.

• 3 weeks later...