Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140mm mag issue with grams follower

Kepo

Hey guys I just got a tti 4g basepad and grams follower and spring for my Sti 140 mm tube. When I load the mag any more than 10 rounds the rounds start to nose dive in the mag and will not cycle in the gun at all. This tube ran fine with the Sti basepad,spring, and spacer. Has anyone else seen this problem? My rounds are 1.170" is this too short to not run a spacer in the mag?

Thanks

My old gun ran everything out of any mag.

New gun wants spacers unless its an old style SVI mag

Suggest your get a spacer and New 9mm guts to fit with spacer

I find TTI are a little bit more reliable in the long run

Using grams 11 coil spring that came with their follower. This stuff is all new out of the box minus the tube. I don't know why this spring and follower won't work. I even tried it with the stock Sti pad and also Dawson plus one pad. Looks like it will be going back and I will get the tti spring and follower. I will call grams tomorrow and see what they say first.

I wouldn't run stock STI mags without a spacer they aren't designed for it everyone I know thats tried it ran into constant problems even with longer rounds. However I did have that same issue with grams follower and spring in my MBX mags and I took the spring and stretched the angle of the spring so the follower was pointed up a little more and that fixed it for me.

15 hours ago, Kepo said:

Using grams 11 coil spring that came with their follower. This stuff is all new out of the box minus the tube. I don't know why this spring and follower won't work. I even tried it with the stock Sti pad and also Dawson plus one pad. Looks like it will be going back and I will get the tti spring and follower. I will call grams tomorrow and see what they say first.

Did you get a 9 follower?   I run stock STI big sticks and 140s with grams 9 follower and plastic spacer.  No problems with 9 major.   What OAL are you using?

Talked to Bevin (He was very professional) and it was the wrong follower, but the label said it could be used with 9/38/40/45 without a spacer. I filed it down to use with the spacer as he suggested and it did not fix the problem. Oh well. Gonna try a TTI spring and follower. Probably should have sent it back to speedshooters but by the time I would have paid for shipping and the time to send it back it didn't seem practical.

At my wits end here. I installed the tti guts and I now have exactly the same thing. The first round in the mag is tilted up as it should be and you can clearly see the second round is pointed down. Although sometimes it won't even cycle the first round when the mag is put into the gun from slide stop. I can cycle a few then I get a massive nose dive, I clear the malfunction, cycle a few more by hand and the it locks up again. I even went as far as making a new spacer plate out of aluminum to make up for the added length of the base plate. I wish I just would have bought another mbx, or Sti big stick with a dawson pad.

The double stack to single stack transition is too wide.  Need to squeeze it tighter.    Do some searching and you'll  find more detailed description already written. 

Or just contact Sti, they will send you a new tube as a warranty replacement. 

What you are describing sounds like a brass issue, not a magazine issue. What is your brass prep and reloading practices with the brass? You didn't mention what caliber ammo you are using. But if you are using .40 brass and not push through sizing it to get rid of the bulge then it will cause the exact issue you are facing. 

• 3 months later...

9 major, dry tumbling, using lee under die

There is a gap in the front of the 1st and 2nd round. Also the rim of the first round is in the extraction groove of the second. I have the feed lips at .350 in the rear and .360" in the front. I have tried to tighten the double to single stack transition. Is there any info on how to correct this? I have read others mention this problem, but no mention of the fix.  Is there a diagram somewhere that shows all of the mags dimensions?