Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI the Rolls Royce of 1911's?

AbitNutz

I'm doing research on a new pistol build. I'm just floored over SVI's. Are they really as great and innovative as they appear? The only thing I can fault them for is that all of that innovation has moved them further and further away from being able to use anything but proprietary parts...and of course, catastrophic pricing. 

The slide, because of the cool breech face, can't take a 1911 firing pin or extractor. Does this kind of thing bother anyone? Should it bother me? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing research on a new pistol build. I'm just floored over SVI's. Are they really as great and innovative as they appear? The only thing I can fault them for is that all of that innovation has moved them further and further away from being able to use anything but proprietary parts...and of course, catastrophic pricing. 

The slide, because of the cool breech face, can't take a 1911 firing pin or extractor. Does this kind of thing bother anyone? Should it bother me? 

They are very nice, no question. I would not worry about the proprietary parts at all.

The only thing that is a bummer is how psycho expensive they are.

But, most of the other absolute top of the line builders put out a similar quality product, but at a similar price point (M2i, Kodiak, etc).

I priced a slide with their online configuration tool and it bounced off $900.00, just for the slide, with minimal options. I'm not complaining...like you say, ultimately, they're all up in nosebleed territory. 

Edited by AbitNutz

1. The firing pin channel on an Infinity slide with Interchangeable Breechface is shorter than a standard 1911. The firing pin length is standard, however, the firing pin spring must be cut to a length where the end of the spring is flush with the tip of the firing pin when the spring is fully seated on the firing pin.

Ordering parts from sviguns.Com is just as easy.  

Edited by dansedgli

as dan says firing pin is normal 1911 as is the extractor. all the popular 1911 extractors (including aftec) work just fine in a SVI IBF slide (either on a 1911 or 2011 frame.

off the of my head the interchangeable parts are:

hammer
sear
disconector
extractor
ejector
firing pin
guide rods
reverse plugs
springs (recoil, main, mag release, plunger tube, firing pin - cut down, sear)
slide stop 
firing pin stop plate
mainspring cap
mainspring lower
mainspring/magwell pin
hammer pin, sear pin, ejector pin
thumb safety

if you run the polymer grip then these parts are also standard 2011

mag release catch
mainspring housing
magwell
trigger bow
grip bushings and grip screw
trigger guard screws

basically the only proprietary parts are the IBF itself and the screw (both available freely from SVI) and if you use a SVI steel grip then there are proprietary parts in that (mag catch, magwell, non functional grip safety etc). 

11 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

as dan says firing pin is normal 1911 as is the extractor. all the popular 1911 extractors (including aftec) work just fine in a SVI IBF slide (either on a 1911 or 2011 frame.

off the of my head the interchangeable parts are:

hammer
sear
disconector
extractor
ejector
firing pin
guide rods
reverse plugs
springs (recoil, main, mag release, plunger tube, firing pin - cut down, sear)
slide stop 
firing pin stop plate
mainspring cap
mainspring lower
mainspring/magwell pin
hammer pin, sear pin, ejector pin
thumb safety

if you run the polymer grip then these parts are also standard 2011

mag release catch
mainspring housing
magwell
trigger bow
grip bushings and grip screw
trigger guard screws

basically the only proprietary parts are the IBF itself and the screw (both available freely from SVI) and if you use a SVI steel grip then there are proprietary parts in that (mag catch, magwell, non functional grip safety etc). 

Hmm. A buddy tried a non SV slide stop and it was a no go

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain there's nothing proprietary in the SVI slide stops. slide stops can need some fitting in any brand 2011 frame, it could be the outer shape needed some work to fit into the pocket in the frame . it could have been the new one's pin was oversize vs the old one? getting lockback function (if desired) is an entirely different issue though. supporting this is I have seen an SV frame running a SSI thumb rest type slide stop. 

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain there's nothing proprietary in the SVI slide stops. slide stops can need some fitting in any brand 2011 frame, it could be the outer shape needed some work to fit into the pocket in the frame . it could have been the new one's pin was oversize vs the old one? getting lockback function (if desired) is an entirely different issue though. supporting this is I have seen an SV frame running a SSI thumb rest type slide stop. 

No I'm certain he talked to SV and he had to get one from them. 

Of course they could just be schisters and have folks convinced you need their parts.

21 hours ago, Sarge said:

No I'm certain he talked to SV and he had to get one from them. 

Of course they could just be schisters and have folks convinced you need their parts.

How was it a no go? It didn't fit? This seems more speculative than factual. I know that an SSI fits in mine. 

3 hours ago, Blammo said:

How was it a no go? It didn't fit? This seems more speculative than factual. I know that an SSI fits in mine. 

It did not fit. Too big. Not speculating anything. I was with him when he called to get one sent to him.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

It did not fit. Too big. Not speculating anything. I was with him when he called to get one sent to him.

Would it not go in the slide stop pin hole?  Or was it contacting the lower lugs?  If it was the latter then than can happen with an oversized part being used as a seal for a part that was used to fit the barrel.

i tried one of my sti slide stops in my svi last night (svi frame, ibf slide but schuemann barrel). it worked.

I'm guessing in sarge's case it was an oversize pin. a few SVI's that I played with the pins measured a little on the small side so if it was something like an EGW (who make oversize .201 pins) then I can see why it didn't work and needed to get the svi pin. but they are not unique in any other aspect I can see. 

Im not one to wait...the custom build lead times are crazy to me.  I sometimes think the extended wait times are to create a perceived value more then it actually takes 15 months to build a gun.  If it took most of us 15 months to do our jobs we wouldn't have one.  There is no reason it takes 15 months to build a gun.  They dont want to hire more people or more equipment because they want to keep the perceived value of the product high.  IMHO. 

With that said I just recently bought a used SV :) .  Its a beautiful gun and a pleasure to shoot.  I will say that their tolerances are so tight that it does make disassembly and reassembly more interesting than other pistols.  If you want a 2011 then custom is the only way I would ever go.  I have another custom 2011 I bought off gun broker a year ago...I am thinking about selling it and having SV build me another matching gun so I can have a practice/backup and match gun that feel identical.  

29 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Im not one to wait...the custom build lead times are crazy to me.  I sometimes think the extended wait times are to create a perceived value more then it actually takes 15 months to build a gun.  If it took most of us 15 months to do our jobs we wouldn't have one.  There is no reason it takes 15 months to build a gun.  They dont want to hire more people or more equipment because they want to keep the perceived value of the product high.  IMHO. 

What a bunch of bunk. If you think 15 months is long, then I guess Wilson Combat with wait times as long as 4 years on some of their models would really drive you nuts.

I have it in good authority it only takes a few days at most to build one. Getting sent out for finishing etc can add time etc. the lead times are all about back orders.

I'm sure when your gun comes up in the rotation it's actually built pretty quickly

I am sure it only take a few days to build your gun.   Like others said, it is a back order thing.   As long as people are willing to wait that long, custom builders will continue to take back orders.   I wish I had customers willing to wait 15 months for me to build their cabinets!   Especially if they would hand me nonrefundable half the money up front.   Woohooo!   Now that would be nice.   No motivation to ever get "caught up".   If you can charge the amount you want to charge & people will wait for 15 months or longer, now that is a good deal.   Since competition guns are not like houses or cars or anything people really "need", then this custom gun business will continue to be an order & wait until they get to your order type of customer service.   It is a willing participant scam if you ask me but hey, what the heck.   It is absolutely none of my business what people do in order to get their gun done their way.

Maybe the main gunsmith at SVI and other high end builders won't teach any of their employees their secrets and are instead forced to touch every gun themselves. If they had 1k guns on order and one guy was having to do the fit and finish it could explain some of the wait. Then you have to wait another 2 months to get it coated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk