Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI the Rolls Royce of 1911's?

AbitNutz

On 1/19/2017 at 3:41 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Personally, I'll take a Les Baer and a check for $4000.00 :) . 

Although that might not be fair. If you do not care about bling, do the infinity's out shoot or out last the LB's or Brazo's or CZ's ?

Baer makes nice guns, but not nearly like my 4.5 inch barrel 10mm:

SVI 1.JPG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

y I can pretty much guarantee it will shoot better, last longer, and have a better resale value.  Plus, if you ever took an econ class there was something called utils of satisfaction, which is very relevant here.

I have never seen anything that would suggest that an sv would outlast or out perform other very well built 1911's, if that information exists it would be interesting to review.

$'s wise, your biggest butt kicking on resale comes from buying high end and then hoping to sell without dropping $1000 or so.

But , I think you hit the nail on the head with "if that makes you happy then do it ". To each their own.

Well, just to give you one example on durability, there's a recent post on this forum by a guy who bought a brand new 2011 type gun from another manufacturer and the barrel is beating up the slide on the sides of the breach face because the surfaces weren't beveled and the locking lugs are dragging on the slide because of inadequate link down clearance.  Not a good thing and not at all uncommon for that brand.  The first problem probably won't effect durability, but it's a pretty safe bet the latter will.  You can do a search and find plenty of other examples.  So although the initial cost of that gun was probably half of what an SV cost, the owner is going to have some additional cost and aggravation down the road as a result of the poor build quality.  On top of the manufacturing issues, the gun isn't custom per the owners specs, has inferior parts, and has nowhere near the fit, finish and attention to detail that an SV has.  Shooting better can be due to a lot of things.  My factory built SV has a nice, crisp 1.75 lb trigger that's totally still 100% reliable after about 20k rounds.  Try calling some other manufacturer and ask them to give you a 1.75 lb trigger.  Chances are after spending a couple minutes telling you no, they'll just hang up on you.  As for used gun prices, check some of the prices for SV guns on this site and see what they sell for vs. new, and how fast they sell.  I'd say they hold their value a lot better than most others.

Edited by ltdmstr

29 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Well, just to give you one example on durability, there's a recent post on this forum by a guy who bought a brand new 2011 type gun from another manufacturer and the barrel is beating up the slide on the sides of the breach face because the surfaces weren't beveled and the locking lugs are dragging on the slide because of inadequate link down clearance.  Not a good thing and not at all uncommon for that brand.  The first problem probably won't effect durability, but it's a pretty safe bet the latter will.  You can do a search and find plenty of other examples.  So although the initial cost of that gun was probably half of what an SV cost, the owner is going to have some additional cost and aggravation down the road as a result of the poor build quality.  On top of the manufacturing issues, the gun isn't custom per the owners specs, has inferior parts, and has nowhere near the fit, finish and attention to detail that an SV has.  Shooting better can be due to a lot of things.  My factory built SV has a nice, crisp 1.75 lb trigger that's totally still 100% reliable after about 20k rounds.  Try calling some other manufacturer and ask them to give you a 1.75 lb trigger.  Chances are after spending a couple minutes telling you no, they'll just hang up on you.  As for used gun prices, check some of the prices for SV guns on this site and see what they sell for vs. new, and how fast they sell.  I'd say they hold their value a lot better than most others.

If you talk with sv they will tell you that they are not perfect and that some customers have trouble until they get their guns lined out. I suspect that they are good about getting the warranty issues right and that they have fewer issues than most though. No doubt that they are one of the companies that build a good gun and stand behind it. 

You can purchase a drop in trigger kit from Brazo's that will allow a painless and cost effective route to 1.5 - 2 lb triggers, if that is your preference.

I have noted the used pricing and have been tempted on a couple used guns.

20 minutes ago, candiru said:

Sweet.

Why the 4.5" length?

I wanted a commander length carry gun and Brandon recommended going with a 4.5" instead of the traditional commander 4.25"  I can't remember all the tech reasons he told me, but primarily involved the stroke and timing if I recall.  

SVI is more like a Bentley than a RR. All the luxury of a RR but with the performance of a Bentley.

People that own a SVI generally have been there and done that. After having run everything else, you end up at SVI. 

On 1/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, v1911 said:

SVI is more like a Bentley than a RR. All the luxury of a RR but with the performance of a Bentley.

People that own a SVI generally have been there and done that. After having run everything else, you end up at SVI. 

In the last 5-10 years has anyone shot an SVI to the win in single stack or limited nationals?  Nils has run a McLearn Custom to single stack and limited class national championships; Rob is of course Mr. Springfield and dominated forever; Strader shot a Smith and Wesson (as I recall).  Chris Tilley has been awesome with an SVI open pistol...who else?

7 hours ago, Bruce said:

In the last 5-10 years has anyone shot an SVI to the win in single stack or limited nationals?  Nils has run a McLearn Custom to single stack and limited class national championships; Rob is of course Mr. Springfield and dominated forever; Strader shot a Smith and Wesson (as I recall).  Chris Tilley has been awesome with an SVI open pistol...who else?         

Not sure what your point is.  Those are all sponsored shooters who are going to shoot whatever they're paid to shoot.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what your point is.  Those are all sponsored shooters who are going to shoot whatever they're paid to shoot.

They are all ultra-competitive, next-level, awesome shooters.  They shoot what they believe gives them the best chance of winning.  At least that is my theory:)

Just received Front Sight magazine and turns out Infinity guns were used by men's Open champion and ladies Limited champion.  Ladies Open and men's Limited were custom builds on STI frames (not factory STI).

Nils Jonasson won the Limited Nationals (again) shooting a McLearn Custom;

2nd place Vogel shot a Glock 35;

3rd place Sevigny shot FN-FNS, as I recall.

Nils Jonasson won single stack nationals shooting a McLearn Custom.

Chris Tilley won the Open Nationals (again) shooting SVI.