Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI the Rolls Royce of 1911's?

AbitNutz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to new builds, his personally answering of inquiries, providing tech support and repairs must take up a good portion of his day.  He has always been really great when I had a question or needed advice.

By the way, standard extractors, slide stops, firing pins, firing pin springs etc definitely fit.  As with many 1911's some may needing fitting to run 100%...

On 9/18/2016 at 5:08 PM, AbitNutz said:

Are they really as great and innovative as they appear?

Very nice guns, but I think the honest answer is no. Lots of bling and pride of ownership, and that is great, but there are a lot of other nice guns to compare to.

As always, high end value depends on your own measurement criteria & personal values. 

On 9/18/2016 at 6:08 PM, AbitNutz said:

I'm doing research on a new pistol build. I'm just floored over SVI's. Are they really as great and innovative as they appear? The only thing I can fault them for is that all of that innovation has moved them further and further away from being able to use anything but proprietary parts...and of course, catastrophic pricing. 

The slide, because of the cool breech face, can't take a 1911 firing pin or extractor. Does this kind of thing bother anyone? Should it bother me? 

I went with SVI for my USPSA Single Stack and don't regret a singular thing.  The customer service before, during, and after the build process has been exemplary and the pistol has been magnificent.  It's also really, really pretty. :)

Look, you don't need to fork over SVI money to get a decent 1911, but if you do want the top of the line, look no further.  At least when it came to high end Single Stack prices, the SVI was actually a pretty reasonable value.  I spent less on a completely custom SVI 1911 than I would have spent paying for High-End Brand X's off-the-rack top of the line stuff.

1 hour ago, ericjhuber said:

I went with SVI for my USPSA Single Stack and don't regret a singular thing.  The customer service before, during, and after the build process has been exemplary and the pistol has been magnificent.  It's also really, really pretty. :)

Look, you don't need to fork over SVI money to get a decent 1911, but if you do want the top of the line, look no further.  At least when it came to high end Single Stack prices, the SVI was actually a pretty reasonable value.  I spent less on a completely custom SVI 1911 than I would have spent paying for High-End Brand X's off-the-rack top of the line stuff.

Do you mind throwing up a picture or two? And can I ask what it ended up costing?

21 hours ago, js1130146 said:

Do you mind throwing up a picture or two? And can I ask what it ended up costing?

Sure. :)

I actually just sent it into SVI for its 5,000 round check up a couple weeks ago.  That's a nice service that SVI offers where they do a full disassembly and inspection and fix anything that might need to be fixed.  Apparently, if something is going to go wrong it's likely going happen within the first 5,000 rounds so they like seeing them back to make sure everything is good to go.  Optional, of course, but there was no reason not to do it.

Just got a phone call today from Tiffany (Yes, she called me on Saturday. I told her she needed to be watching football (Go Gators! ? ) like the rest of us rather than being fantastic with customer service.) who wanted to let me know that the pistol was done and that everything was fine.  Because it's SVI, they also swapped out some parts for some of their new upgraded parts...at no extra charge.  Because that's how awesome they are.

I heard machine type noises in the background of the call so I think she was at the factory and I'm guessing she wasn't the only one working today.

EJH1911.jpg

Edited by ericjhuber

Sure. :)

I actually just sent it into SVI for its 5,000 round check up a couple weeks ago.  That's a nice service that SVI offers where they do a full disassembly and inspection and fix anything that might need to be fixed.  Apparently, if something is going to go wrong it's likely going happen within the first 5,000 rounds so they like seeing them back to make sure everything is good to go.  Optional, of course, but there was no reason not to do it.

Just got a phone call today from Tiffany (Yes, she called me on Saturday. I told her she needed to be watching football (Go Gators! ? ) like the rest of us rather than being fantastic with customer service.) who wanted to let me know that the pistol was done and that everything was fine.  Because it's SVI, they also swapped out some parts for some of their new upgraded parts...at no extra charge.  Because that's how awesome they are.

I heard machine type noises in the background of the call so I think she was at the factory and I'm guessing she wasn't the only one working today.

EJH1911.jpg

How much do they charge for the check up. 

8 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

How much do they charge for the check up. 

$125 which is a screaming deal especially in light of the fact they put several new parts on it for no extra charge.  SVI seems to really hate the idea of getting their paws on one of their pistols and having it not leave the factor with the best parts that they have available for them.  They upgraded several parts during the build process for no extra charge when they came up with a better way to do something even after I had put in my order and before the gun was done.

The customer pays shipping, of course, and that's reasonable.  I went with one day shipping because I don't want my pistol away from either me or the factory any longer than necessary. 

$125 which is a screaming deal especially in light of the fact they put several new parts on it for no extra charge.  SVI seems to really hate the idea of getting their paws on one of their pistols and having it not leave the factor with the best parts that they have available for them.  They upgraded several parts during the build process for no extra charge when they came up with a better way to do something even after I had put in my order and before the gun was done.

The customer pays shipping, of course, and that's reasonable.  I went with one day shipping because I don't want my pistol away from either me or the factory any longer than necessary. 

Nice. I am about 4 months into my 5.4 sight tracker. Can't wait. 

I've not held any 1911 or 2011 that was as nice as my SV with regards to either fitment or finish.  And I've not found a smith with customer service as good as SV.  Unless some things changed you can spec out a 40 cal limited gun for less than $4K.  Don't get the thing Ionbonded and avoid some of the options that aren't necessary for a competition gun and there you go.

22 minutes ago, technetium-99m said:

I've not held any 1911 or 2011 that was as nice as my SV with regards to either fitment or finish.  And I've not found a smith with customer service as good as SV.  Unless some things changed you can spec out a 40 cal limited gun for less than $4K.  Don't get the thing Ionbonded and avoid some of the options that aren't necessary for a competition gun and there you go.

lol that's what I was thinking until I got on their gun builder and it went to 6500 lol. Also they agreed to do some custom grip engraving for me. Can't wait to see it and not on a drawing. 

• 3 months later...

I bought my first SVI from a distributor online without ever shooting or even handling one in person.  I just went with the opinions of other shooters.  So after I left the gun shop when I picked up the gun, I was already planning to get my next!  Now i have some. They are indeed that good. 

Mike

4 hours ago, Lycan said:

I had my SV 1911 in .40 delivery today and I have to admit it is one of the best 1911 I ever handle. Made my another order now and waiting game is beginning.

So what was your wait time build time. I am 7 months into my limited build. 

As Trace pointed out, you want Brandon to touch every build. Infinity's dedication to perfection when it leaves the factory is impressive to say the least. They take putting their name on the product to the next level. That way when the customer opens the box for the first time, they are blown away by what was sent to them. Fit and finish 2nd to none. Not only do they have to build parts for their own pistols but they have to build parts for the gun industry as well. How many shooters do you see out there using Infinity parts in their non Infinity firearm? How many of the top assemblers use Infinity barrels,  grips, triggers, sights and other assorted parts? The answer is as many as they can. The investment that Infinity has put into equipment, machines and infrastructure over the past 6 years is a staggering number since their move from Grand Prairie to Gordon. They have doubled the number of employees and still they work 6 days a week. It's not secret but Sandy Strayer lives at the factory for days at a time. I have sat with Brandon for an entire afternoon while he fit and finished 4 pistols where he goes over everything then fires the gun to make sure it works and to look to see if there are any marks out of order. It is impressive to see the attention to detail that goes into the finish of the pistol. Yes, there are manufacturers that will slap some parts together for you for a cheaper price and if you are happy with that, then that is ok. What I don't understand is the hate that some folks have out there for the brand its customers. Whether it's custom watches (don't even get me started on prices for custom watches as I saw one the other day for $250,000), cars, boats, bikes, or planes....custom quality takes time and $$.

I think that many here in the States don't think about the demands put on Infinity by the foreign market. Since many countries restrict how many firearms a person can own, many foreign competitors buy the best $$ can buy when they make their choice. By choosing Infinity they also get the custom options straight from the factory and don't have to rely on the small number of gunsmiths compared to what we have available here in the states. Foreign orders put time constraints on the manufacturing process as permits #'s have to be met or the whole order can be scrapped till a new permit is applied for. Then you add all of us who call up, chat, buy and catch up with their employee's and it's a wonder that they get anything done. I cannot say enough nice things about the management of Infinity or the quality of their employees. In articles I have branded the facility as the Factory of Dreams.....call them today to get started on your dream pistol.   

sv 5.4 9MM 2.jpg

1 hour ago, ROY NEAL said:

As Trace pointed out, you want Brandon to touch every build. Infinity's dedication to perfection when it leaves the factory is impressive to say the least. They take putting their name on the product to the next level. That way when the customer opens the box for the first time, they are blown away by what was sent to them. Fit and finish 2nd to none. Not only do they have to build parts for their own pistols but they have to build parts for the gun industry as well. How many shooters do you see out there using Infinity parts in their non Infinity firearm? How many of the top assemblers use Infinity barrels,  grips, triggers, sights and other assorted parts? The answer is as many as they can. The investment that Infinity has put into equipment, machines and infrastructure over the past 6 years is a staggering number since their move from Grand Prairie to Gordon. They have doubled the number of employees and still they work 6 days a week. It's not secret but Sandy Strayer lives at the factory for days at a time. I have sat with Brandon for an entire afternoon while he fit and finished 4 pistols where he goes over everything then fires the gun to make sure it works and to look to see if there are any marks out of order. It is impressive to see the attention to detail that goes into the finish of the pistol. Yes, there are manufacturers that will slap some parts together for you for a cheaper price and if you are happy with that, then that is ok. What I don't understand is the hate that some folks have out there for the brand its customers. Whether it's custom watches (don't even get me started on prices for custom watches as I saw one the other day for $250,000), cars, boats, bikes, or planes....custom quality takes time and $$.

I think that many here in the States don't think about the demands put on Infinity by the foreign market. Since many countries restrict how many firearms a person can own, many foreign competitors buy the best $$ can buy when they make their choice. By choosing Infinity they also get the custom options straight from the factory and don't have to rely on the small number of gunsmiths compared to what we have available here in the states. Foreign orders put time constraints on the manufacturing process as permits #'s have to be met or the whole order can be scrapped till a new permit is applied for. Then you add all of us who call up, chat, buy and catch up with their employee's and it's a wonder that they get anything done. I cannot say enough nice things about the management of Infinity or the quality of their employees. In articles I have branded the facility as the Factory of Dreams.....call them today to get started on your dream pistol.   

Personally, I'll take a Les Baer and a check for $4000.00 :) . 

Although that might not be fair. If you do not care about bling, do the infinity's out shoot or out last the LB's or Brazo's or CZ's ?

2 hours ago, ROY NEAL said:

sv 5.4 9MM 2.jpg

That's so awesome!

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:41 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

Personally, I'll take a Les Baer and a check for $4000.00 :) . 

Although that might not be fair. If you do not care about bling, do the infinity's out shoot or out last the LB's or Brazo's or CZ's ?

If that's what makes you happy then do it.  Baer makes some very nice guns.  But to say the two are essentially the same except for some bling and a big price difference is way off the mark.  If you look at the individual parts, how they're made, the workmanship that goes into these guns, the ability to customize, etc., it's very easy to understand why they cost what they do.  The SV may not be more accurate, by I can pretty much guarantee it will shoot better, last longer, and have a better resale value.  Plus, if you ever took an econ class there was something called utils of satisfaction, which is very relevant here.