Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unusual K frame hammer

wheelie66

Looks like an improvised lock/block. In your third pic, with the piece flush with both sides of the hammer it would work in the frame, if slid out, the cut out portion seems like it would ride over the frame and prevent the hammer from moving. The divots on the bottom of the block, the spring you have on the side and the divot in the hammer where the cutout is, maybe would have been a ball detent to make it click.

(just a guess, I did do a couple of google searches, didn't return anything related)

On September 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM, IowaNewbie said:

Looks like an improvised lock/block. In your third pic, with the piece flush with both sides of the hammer it would work in the frame, if slid out, the cut out portion seems like it would ride over the frame and prevent the hammer from moving. The divots on the bottom of the block, the spring you have on the side and the divot in the hammer where the cutout is, maybe would have been a ball detent to make it click.

(just a guess, I did do a couple of google searches, didn't return anything related)

I think you are right, it was missing the detention pin, so I made one. It functions now, just seems like a lot of effort. Anyway, for $10.00 I just had to have it. I have a project gun I am starting and this hammer will be used.

On September 23, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Cherokeewind said:

Fairly obvious what the parts are intended to do.......

Are you certain it is from S&W?  The machine work looks like S&W quality but could it be from  an old Taurus or Rossi?

I am pretty sure it is S&W.  I think it is custom work from whoever HS was.