Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best lighweight bcg

Mindreader1

25 minutes ago, 12Bravo said:

My son is shooting my RCA Ti Carrier with a JP enhanced bolt no problem. 

I stopped using it because I went with adjustable gas block and Iron City Diamond Black.

Whats your opinion of the iron city vs rca? Don't think iron city sells carrier only though 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Mindreader1 said:

Yeah i bought a grendel kit from jp so i have their enhanced bolt. Does the rca carrier only have the other components like firing pin and cam pin as well? Wonder how it ll cycle with jp everything and with a different carrier. Also trying to decide btw the taccom buffer, the kak adjustable and tbe jp scs. Anyone w experience w more than one of those?

Yes they have the other parts such as cam pins and firing pins. Also I use mine with a JP SCS system. Its works very well, I made sure to get and adjustable gas block so I can tune it properly. RCA also sells a bolt carrier with an adjustable gas key.

13 hours ago, Mindreader1 said:

Whats your opinion of the iron city vs rca? Don't think iron city sells carrier only though 

The Ti carrier even with the JP enhanced bolt is definitely lighter, and having the adjustable gas key is great for the carbine my son is shooting with an A2 FSB.

The Iron City BCG is almost a work of art though. The polish job they do is outstanding and the DLC treatment makes for about the slickest and easiest to clean gun part I have ever seen. 

Edited by 12Bravo

6 hours ago, 12Bravo said:

The iron city does look really sweet. I would definitely buy it if they allow me to buy carrier only though. Do you know how you contact them? Couldnt find their contact on the site. 

The Ti carrier even with the JP enhanced bolt is definitely lighter, and having the adjustable gas key is great for the carbine my son is shooting with an A2 FSB.

The Iron City BCG is almost a work of art 

• 1 month later...

Just ordered an Iron City bcg with the black diamond coating. I was using an AIM Surplus lightweight carrier which will go in another gun. I'm curious to see the differences between the two.

On 9/17/2016 at 1:33 PM, Durtywrench said:

use my code LM223 and get 10% off I believe .

Thanks.

I have an iron city and I love the thing! It's just a quality part, between the coating, machining and the great people there I am very satisfied. I would however like to try out one of the Ti carriers from rubber city, I have a friend who works there and he is raving about it so I'm going to give one a try sometime and they are local so it's always nice to support local business.

I got the TiN coated one from Iron City and really like it. Also I used the code posted above by DURTYWRENCH and saved a couple bucks. Thanks

The Iron City BCG along with an Atlas 5 brake from Odin Works as well as their adjustable gas block and the Taccom buffer system and my rifle shoots very soft and flat. 

Last March I decided to upgrade my toys to the new hype, LM BCG etc. Thanks to Mike Pinto for seducing ? me to get Iron City Copperhead. Wow! Never looked back, no hiccups, smooth shooting, nice coating, easy to clean (just wipe it and lightly oiled) until now no scratches. My set up is modification of what I already have:

BCM upper 18" stainless bbl replaced the gas block (heck of work, that BCM gas block was made to stay there forever) with Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block

Taccom buffer 

Seekins ATC

I guess a little cheaper set up than using JP.

Happy shooter.

• 4 months later...
On 2016-12-07 at 11:52 AM, dmshozer1 said:

How about the Faxon Light weight carrier?

Looks good. Specs are good. Weight is right there with the rest of them.

also interested in Faxon, its only the Lightweight BCG I can get, . thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of gas needed to cycle your rifle is a factor of you BCG weight PLUS your buffer weight (both move together as one piece as the rifle cycles), then also factoring in the strength of your buffer spring.  So it's really the least amount of gas you can get to consistently fully compress your buffer spring, without compressing it so fast you get 'bolt bounce'.

The lower combined BCG + buffer weight will give you less 'recoil' as you have less mass moving around.

• 4 months later...
On 10/8/2017 at 7:06 PM, FunkyTownAggie said:

Old thread but new option on the block. The 2a titanium bcg with adjustable gas key runs great in my 3 gun ar15 and weight 5.9 oz iirc. 

Yeah, it's as light as my 1982 Smith Enterprises aluminum carrier....3.9 ounces for the stripped carrier.

Edited by PursuitSS

I just upgraded from a Young Mfg lightweight to the JP LMOS (aluminum).  With the black spring it was a noticeable difference, and my rifle was pretty flat to start with.

I was quite tempted, as I was experiencing some carrier bounce before the switch, by this:

https://www.rainierarms.com/master-of-arms-ar-15-titanium-bolt-carrier-group-w-deadblow-kit/

But in the end I was scared by all the moving parts, I’m a fan of simplicity.  Has anyone used one of these?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, CStrabala said:

I have a 13.5" armalite for my son, it hasn't been shot it yet. Would I be better off just putting a lowmass BCG in it now, or just leave the full mass one it and tune it.

You'll win another one next year, try one low mass and one full mass and see whats better.