Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer and Sear Wear

Smitty79

On another forum, I saw a comment that the hammer and sear of a Shadow have worn enough by 20k rounds that the trigger is degrading and that doubles and triples may start happening.   I probably do 1 hammer drop dry fire pull for every live round I shoot and I'm a little over 20k rounds.   Should I include a new hammer and sear in my upcoming annual maintenance?

Compare your hammer to a new one and look for visible wear. The hammer on one of my Shadows started falling to the half-cock notch when inserting a new magazine around 20k rounds. The hooks were visibly worn on inspection. Sear seemed fine. That pistol had seen a shit-ton of dry fire.

I replaced the hammer and sear on my other Shadow as a preventative measure at 50k rounds. It could have gone longer, but that seemed a good point.

20k seems super low to need to replace a hammer and sear. The only way I can see needing to replace them that soon is if something was wrong with the setup. Having an over travel screw too tight can cause the sear to drag on the hammer hooks and wear both out. 

I've got close to 45,000 rounds + almost daily dry fire on my practice gun and it's still going strong. 

I wonder if perhaps a batch of the competition hammers were not hardened properly or something.  My SP-01 with competition hammer wore out in under 20k.

Edited by StevenR
Whereas the Shadow is probably over 40k, by now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 6:26 PM, bthoefer said:

Having an over travel screw too tight can cause the sear to drag on the hammer hooks and wear both out. 

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

The way to check this it to hold the trigger rearward and thumb the hammer back and forth, it needs to fully clear the sear.

On 10/2/2016 at 8:44 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

The way to check this it to hold the trigger rearward and thumb the hammer back and forth, it needs to fully clear the sear.

If the hammer clears the sear going forward, wouldnt that lead to hammer follow or worse?

Edited by B_RAD

Ah!.....

i tried what you what you described and mine does not clear going forward.  The hammer catches the sear(trigger held).

I figured it was supposed to. Now I may adjust the overtravel screw. Actually, I'll probably remove it. Don't want it backing out at the wrong moment.  

1 hour ago, adamge said:

B-rad, I personally wouldn't remove it, you'll end up with a lot of overtravel.  Just put some a tiny speck of red locktite on the screw.

Well, I removed it and I can't feel a difference and the hammer still doesn't clear the sear with the trigger pulled.