Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has the best bullet collator?

AbitNutz

Who has the best bullet collator? Not complete bullet feeding system, just the collator. RCBS, Hornady, Mr Bullet Feeder, GSI and? I'm just looking for a decent collator. I understand that some have built their own but that's not within my skillset. Also, equally undoable are the commercial grade collators like the Howell...

Thanks, please share your opinions and experiences....

On 9/16/2016 at 7:58 AM, TennJeep1618 said:

I've only had experience with MBF, but once it's setup correctly, it has worked flawlessly.  The biggest hurdle I faced was finding the right angle for most consistent feeding.

What angle did you set yours at?

the mr bullet feeder is the best collator currently

hornady and rcbs have a fairly fatal flaw which is they only feed bullets that happen to land the correct way into a slot. that limits speed greatly. they are also LOUD and run all the time.

GSI is ok, but you need a different ring even for different bullet types of the same calibre. and again any bullets that fall into slots the wrong way get kicked back for another try.

mr bf will feed bullets that land in slots the right way, but any that land upside down will get flipped over and fed too. this basically doubles it's production rate at a given speed over the other types. 

it also has way more adjustment than the others. angle of the collator, different nose guide thickness as well as position and flip ramp adjustment too. that ensures you can dial it in for 100% reliability. 

Someone must have put a Mr Bullet Feeder on a GSI toolhead before. I don't want reinvent the wheel here so if someone else has done it, I'd like to hear about it. The physical connection I don't think will be much of a problem. Wiring them together so that the toolhead can tell the collator when to stop and start may be a bigger issue. I've got the name and number of the guy at MBF...I'll be calling him tomorrow.

19 hours ago, AbitNutz said:

Someone must have put a Mr Bullet Feeder on a GSI toolhead before. I don't want reinvent the wheel here so if someone else has done it, I'd like to hear about it. The physical connection I don't think will be much of a problem. Wiring them together so that the toolhead can tell the collator when to stop and start may be a bigger issue. I've got the name and number of the guy at MBF...I'll be calling him tomorrow.

650 or 1050? If you wind up doing this please do a write up/tutorial......when you order the GSI tool head I would do it over the phone as well cause you can "convert" GSI tool heads to other calipers 

Edited by Smeeg

I wanted the same thing too. all research I did suggested the ideal setup was a mbf collator with the GSI toolhead which would mean no station lost to 'bullet placing' on the toolhead.

however the cost of buying a mbf collator then the GSI toolhead and drop tube was way more than just a complete mbf. plus while the GSI method of placing a bullet is novel (and saves a station) it does need more tuning and parts for different bullet calibres and different bullet sizes/shapes. 

the mr bf dropper system is crazy easy to tune and to change calibre etc. 

the other thing that stopped me was I don't really need that 5th station. I don't use (nor want to use) a powder check system or lockout die. I have size/deprime in s1, powder in S2, bullet drop in S3, seat in S4 and crimp in S5. the only variation on that I had run in the past was putting a universal decapper in S1, sizer in S2 and move powder to S3. on another head I ran 2 sizers. regular lee in S1 and u-die in S2 without a decapper. 

those setups were nice and added some kind of redundancy or 'progressive' sizing but they didn't appreciably improve my end product. 

So in the end realising I could easily live without the 5th station mean the mbf was the choice for me. :)

it's very difficult to double charge a case on a 650. it's possible, but auto indexing makes it very unlikely. 

The best thing about bullet feeder and case feeder is your attention is totally free to simply watch the powder charge. all I'm going when loading is pulling the handle and looking at the powder in charged cases. occasionally I glance to check on cases being fed, primer and powder level etc but mostly just watching the charged case arrive at station 3. with the inline fabrication light kit it's very easy to see in any straight walled case. 

I had a powder check. used it for a bit when press was new then gave it to a friend. With most of the loads I run a double charge will result in a full to the brim case which is another clue (no way to seat a bullet on that) that something has gone wrong.

but yeah if you want to retain powder check AND separate seat and crimp (which I agree is ideal) then GSI head is your only option. 

I'm just finishing tuning up my 650/GSI and I have to tell you, it is an incredible machine. I often think that if the 650/GSI is this good, then how good would the 1050/GSI be? I shoot cast bullets a lot, especially in 45, for the obvious reasons of cost. It was just too messy for a bullet feeder to work flawlessly....but now with Hi-Tek coated bullets, I'm back in business. 

If I had lottery money, I would go with a 1050, GSI toolhead and an Autodrive Mk7, just to watch it work.

5 hours ago, Smeeg said:

I wound up going mr. Bullet feeder with borescope inline light kit and this bushing 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-xl-650-reloader-camera-bushing-/152224573534?nav=SEARCH

I'm going to buy this. I have one of those cheap eBay USB borescopes for my computer. I found it relatively useless as a decent borescope but as a powder checker, it may be just the thing. Thanks!

Edited by AbitNutz

7 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

it's very difficult to double charge a case on a 650. it's possible, but auto indexing makes it very unlikely. 

I think you're right about that...my incident happened on a 550B. I now have it dedicated to cowboy loads using Trail Boss. If you try and double charge Trail Boss, it will typically overflow the case, the loading bench, flow into your loading room and carry you into the street.