Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using recorded video to get split times from a match.

MrPostman

I was sitting on my couch last night watching some gopro video from the last match and I was wondering what my splits were as well as transitions. I had an idea that if I just set up my CED7000 timer to the highest sensitivity and put the microphone to the speaker that I might be able to capture the data. 

Well I'm happy to say it worked :D

It was also repeatable which proved to me that it was accurate. The only thing I needed to do is move the timer away on my reloads so it didn't pick up the sounds from that. 

I know most of us have used a timer in practice sessions to check our performance but most of us are not able to do it in an actual match. I hope this helps some other folks that use video to improve on their shooting skills :D

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

If there's another app I'd be interested in hearing about it. It's a decent app but I'm not married to it. 

yeah the fact that it is IOS only really sucks. who wants to analyze videos on their phone/tablet?

30 minutes ago, peterthefish said:

The UI, although unintuitive, makes doing this on a phone pretty easy. For me the worst part is the workflow to get the videos onto my phone.

yeah that is sort of what I mean... the apps starts with the basic assumption that you take videos with your phone, which I don't so I would have to port the video over to my phone/tablet which is sort of a pain IMO...   

Shot coach is the biggest pain to use. It will take you 30 minutes to accurately record splits, reloads, entries and exits and then the data is hard to read. 

Are you correctly setting the peak, waveform, and minimum split and then marking all shots (usually splits by default)? It shouldn't take more than 2-3 mins/stage once you master the UI.

3 minutes ago, peterthefish said:

Are you correctly setting the peak, waveform, and minimum split and then marking all shots (usually splits by default)? It shouldn't take more than 2-3 mins/stage once you master the UI.

unless you shoot indoors....  then you basically have to tag every shot manually. 

4 hours ago, peterthefish said:

Is there a link to an instruction manual?   I'd probably use it more if I wasn't figuring it out as I'm going along.  

firstly I only really shoot outdoor ranges so if you shoot indoors this may not apply to you.

with shotcoach I import the vid into shot coach (duh).

firstly trim to length so you start at "are you ready...." and finish at "...range is clear".

have a look at the waveforms and the types of peaks you are getting for shorts and adjust the filter up or down as needed and set either to the high peak or the downslope.

make sure you have some echo rejection on so it won't count splits under say .10.

then have it auto mark all shots with defult marker as 'split'.

go through and check, a few splits may need to be manually fixed up (if set up right it's never more than 1 or 2 for me).

now add in the draw (simply convert market from split to 'stage start').

now go in and convert splits to tranitions as needed again using the convert marker button.

do the same for movement, backup shots, or whatever other metrics are important for you to measure and understand.

now simply output the video and you're done. :)

btw in the vid you can look at the full list of splits etc. not just the little summary it adds at the end of the outputted video.

I find it takes about 2-3min to mark up a medium size stage. long field courses maybe 4min and 2 min for a little 8-10 rounder. 

2 hours ago, ShortBus said:

Yea apparently I don't know how to use it. I'd pay another $5 if they told you how to use it effectively. As of now I never use it or coaches eye. 

Never heard of coaches eye...just looked it up.  How would you use it for shooting?  The side by side video's sound like a cool tool for comparing your run to someone else.

8 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Never heard of coaches eye...just looked it up.  How would you use it for shooting?  The side by side video's sound like a cool tool for comparing your run to someone else.

That's what I use it for. I will put a plaster down indoors or something on the ground outdoors and film from that spot, then get somebody to film me from that spot. Makes comparing stuff easy and you can see where you are beating people or getting beat. 

10 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

firstly I only really shoot outdoor ranges so if you shoot indoors this may not apply to you.

with shotcoach I import the vid into shot coach (duh).

firstly trim to length so you start at "are you ready...." and finish at "...range is clear".

have a look at the waveforms and the types of peaks you are getting for shorts and adjust the filter up or down as needed and set either to the high peak or the downslope.

make sure you have some echo rejection on so it won't count splits under say .10.

then have it auto mark all shots with defult marker as 'split'.

go through and check, a few splits may need to be manually fixed up (if set up right it's never more than 1 or 2 for me).

now add in the draw (simply convert market from split to 'stage start').

now go in and convert splits to tranitions as needed again using the convert marker button.

do the same for movement, backup shots, or whatever other metrics are important for you to measure and understand.

now simply output the video and you're done. :)

btw in the vid you can look at the full list of splits etc. not just the little summary it adds at the end of the outputted video.

I find it takes about 2-3min to mark up a medium size stage. long field courses maybe 4min and 2 min for a little 8-10 rounder. 

How do you get it to mark all your shots? Only way I can figure is to slowly scroll through it and manually place shots.. 

21 hours ago, ShortBus said:

How do you get it to mark all your shots? Only way I can figure is to slowly scroll through it and manually place shots.. 

Chose or import a video. Hit the mark shots option. Now you're in the editing type screen. There are two bullet hole type icons. The left one manually places shots. The right opens up a menu. Hit the right one. In the new screen there's a button along the bottom at the far right that says mark shots. Hit that. Now the button that says 'convert to markers' will turn from grayed out to solid. Hit that one. Now all shots will be marked and all the time intervals recorded as splits. Now you simply go through to edit in transitions/reloads/etc. 

I've tried that timer trick a few times and its worked. I was mainly just curious to see if it'd work, wasn't really analyzing anything. When i look at match video (rarely anymore bc i forget to record anything these days) I never worried about splits. I looked at footwork into and out of positions, how quickly I was ready to fire when i got setup, etc. Then I'd find a vid from an M or GM at the same match and watch them side by side to see where I lost time at. Its amazing how the little things can add up to 3-5 seconds. Splits were, and rarely are, an issue. Its all the other stuff like absorbing a draw in the first few steps, smooth reloads, no extra shots on steel (sometimes causing more reloads), missed positions/poor footwork causing me to stutter step through a port or shooting spot, not being aggressive out of a shooting position, not being ready to shoot as soon as I came into a shooting position.