Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest

Rye

On 8/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Shmella said:

Pretty much anything except a gogun *thumb rest [generic]*. The guy who trademarked the name is an abomination to shooting sports and an akai or anyone else’s is a much better design anyway. 

Thanks didn’t know that but I do now.

3 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Are you supposed to torque down on it?  

No.  You do apply some pressure, but if you apply too much the muzzle dives when it returns.  You also tend to shoot low.  Plus you get a sore thumb.

I just took mine off this week and shot the best match I’ve had since I originally installed it. I also shot the best classifier I’ve had since installing it. 

I took off from work a little early on Tuesday and went to the range for some actual live fire practice. My goal was to work on grip to see if I could find the correct grip for the gun that I’m shooting. I was judging based on where the sights came back to after firing a shot. I noticed that the dot would move up and to the right and then settle back to my point of aim. The dot movement was very erratic or should I say “squiggly “ in its movement up and right. I then moved to double taps, seeing the sights once and squeezing the trigger twice. Groups were still horrible and were consistently center of A zone and 2nd shot would be to the right. I decided to remove all pressure from the thumb rest and track the sights. With the thumb not even touching the rest the sight track was straight up and down and not erratic. My hypothesis is that since I was only firing one shot at first, I was forcing the gun to return to original poa. I still need some work on my grip but the sight seems to track back to poa with little to no effort now. Apparently I was torquing the gun with my left hand. I’m leaving it off.

I'm a fan of the Nitro Fin, I have it on both my open and limited guns. For me I like my thumb along the slide, it feels better and I get a better grip. When I had one mounted to the dots mount it felt like I was reaching to far for it and the heel of my hand was not making as much contact on the grip. If you are want something smaller this would be a good one to look into.

Edited by NamesNotMike

On 8/7/2019 at 1:33 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: My son just 3D printed this left hand thumb rest. He made it out of ABS instead of PLA. Thanks, Eric

i also design my thumb rests and other oparts

i get them 3d printed in stainless steel, as i dont trust the 3d plastics on a gun. its not that expensive

plastic is very good for prototyping tho. did the same for my DDP bracket. 

On 8/6/2019 at 3:21 PM, bigboy69 said:

are the scope setting screws accessible without removing the Akia thumbrest with a Cmore Slideride scope using a 90 degree DAA scope mount ?

To me, hands down is the Akai thumbrest. Great texture and the angle makes the difference. I'll be trading out my 2nd go gun rest shortly for another Akai.

AA.jpg