Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clay/Hunting Guns for 3G?

fp627

Given the general trend of 3 gun shotguns towards 26" barrels, could clay guns (particularly skeet and sporting clays guns) be adapted for 3 gun? From what I know, a lot of clay guns have extended tubes available and would still function with a lot of the mods made to 3 gun shotguns. I ask because I don't see a lot of guns crossing over aside from the M2 and Versamax.

Granted, clay guns tend to cost more, but if you had an extra or old gun that you were already very familiar with, would this put you at any kind of a disadvantage?

My 3g shotgun is an old skeet grade Remington 1100 that I added a mag tube extension and DGW loading gate.  It was my skeet gun before i went to an O/U in that game. 

But, back then there were no OEM action sport/3G oriented shotguns, plus I already had it and could shoot it half way decently.  I still use it but there are better choices now which may be why you don't see a lot of crossing over.    

An over/under would be terrible for 3G?

A trap gun would be bad.  As they shoot high.  Any type of Monte Carlo stock would be bad.

I have a dedicated shotgun for 3G and a different for clay sports (A400 multi target). I got the A400 after using my VM for quite a while to get by..  My skeet scores nearly doubled with the A400.

I suppose a hunting shotgun would cross over a lot better, but I don't hunt, so can't speak much for that aspect...