Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ankle Holster..?

IGOTGLOCKED

Ok, went to a funeral of a great guy last weekend. It was our brother in law so as soon as we heard we went flying out the door. During the drive it occurred to me I had no idea how I was going to carry at the viewing or funeral which was in South Georgia - about 190 degrees so I can't cover with my jacket... Fortunately I had my work out bag and found an old ankle brace in it. I pulled it up over my foot completely on my let and stuck my G43 into it. It sufficed but was very painful against my leg bone!

Upon arriving home I vowed to be better prepared. My question is --- is there a better way to carry at a "dress up" occasion than an ankle holster? "Belly Bands seem to becoming quite popular. What do you guys and gals do and what manufacturers do you recommend?

Much appreciated!

IGG

My go to for every occasion regardless of dress code is my shield 9mm in a theis holsters iwb tuckable. It's one if the crossbreed type tuckable holsters. In my opinion they can't be beat. Sweat pants? No problem. Shorts and a t-shirt in the Missouri heat? No problem. Slacks and a tucked in dress shirt? No problem. All day comfort and conceals well in any type of clothing

33 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

My go to for every occasion regardless of dress code is my shield 9mm in a theis holsters iwb tuckable. It's one if the crossbreed type tuckable holsters. In my opinion they can't be beat. Sweat pants? No problem. Shorts and a t-shirt in the Missouri heat? No problem. Slacks and a tucked in dress shirt? No problem. All day comfort and conceals well in any type of clothing

First of all thank you for the suggestion. Please bear with me as I confirm my understanding. Are you are wearing an IWB holster then tucking in your shirt over it?

Hello: Pocket holster work great for hot summer time for small pistols like a Ruger LCP etc. Appendix carry holsters work well also if your shirt is outside of your pants. IWB holsters also work well if designed so you can tuck in your shirt or cover over with the shirt. Take a look at Milt Sparks, Com-Tac, Blade Tech etc. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

First of all thank you for the suggestion. Please bear with me as I confirm my understanding. Are you are wearing an IWB holster then tucking in your shirt over it?

Yes. The holster is designed for it and it works quite well.

On 9/16/2016 at 7:56 PM, js1130146 said:

That is a concern, but I've never had an issue. I would imagine most people have too many other things on their mind to notice.

I understand many people won't notice, however it's happened to me several times. This is why I'm looking for alternative ways to carry at dress up occasions.

9 hours ago, Romad7 said:

I have a Galco Ankle Glove for 5 shot 357 and it works great. The weight is noticeable but I got used to it. Got one for a G26 now that should carry a little better. Think I'll get rid of the revolver holster after I try the Glock one. 

Not familiar with that one, I will check that out, thx. Looking for something as small, concealing, and acceptably comfortable as possible. Don't remember the type but tried one on that wouldn't even fit under my jeans... I would be carrying my G43 on my ankle and will do so as my BUG if one is tight enough fitting even under jeans...

Cheers!

On 9/16/2016 at 11:00 PM, CharlieD said:

Ankle carry can be super comfortable when done properly.  For a right hand shooter the gun will go on the left leg between 3:30-4:00 position.  If you try to position it at 3:00 it can be uncomfortable. 

Yup, found that out trying to use an ankle brace in a pinch - ouch!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get an APACHE.  Been using them for 20 years ;-)  Used to be a Mom and Pop but I think DeSantis may have bought them.  I got turned on to them by an old timer back the day and they are 12 hour shift proven...running, over walls...stays put. Recommended :D

That said...don't put a BIG GUN..in an ankle rig.  This is the spot for a little Airweight or LCP...something really small and light. ;) 

G43? Sure - G42? better - G27...in the words of Monte Python "right out". LOL!!!

Edited by Chutist

Another happy Galco Ankle Glove user here.  I wear it to church or anywhere else I want to.  You have to make sure that your pants are wide enough at the bottom to accommodate it though.  I carry a G26 in mine.

My wife likes it as well ands its always with us when we travel.  Super easy to get at when driving or in traffic and it's easy to take on and off in a gas station etc when you stop.

11 hours ago, Chutist said:

Get an APACHE.  Been using them for 20 years ;-)  Used to be a Mom and Pop but I think DeSantis may have bought them.  I got turned on to them by an old timer back the day and they are 12 hour shift proven...running, over walls...stays put. Recommended :D

That said...don't put a BIG GUN..in an ankle rig.  This is the spot for a little Airweight or LCP...something really small and light. ;) 

G43? Sure - G42? better - G27...in the words of Monte Python "right out". LOL!!!

I will check this out, thank you!

On 9/19/2016 at 9:34 PM, js1130146 said:

I have a Galco Die Hard ankle rig that I like pretty well. Its never been as comfortable to me as IWB, but it might fit the bill

Seems to be several votes for Galco - thx!

7 hours ago, 12glocks said:

Another happy Galco Ankle Glove user here.  I wear it to church or anywhere else I want to.  You have to make sure that your pants are wide enough at the bottom to accommodate it though.  I carry a G26 in mine.

My wife likes it as well and its always with us when we travel.  Super easy to get at when driving or in traffic and it's easy to take on and off in a gas station etc when you stop.

Seems pant legs are trimmer than they use to be which makes ankle carry more difficult, thx!