Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me get to my Glock mag release FASTER!

CHLChris

I shoot Carry Optics with a Glock 17 (DeltaPoint 7.5 on milled slide).  I put an extended mag release on it, but that only sticks out to the left.

I have average to small hands and cannot use a backstrap.  I find that the only way to activate the mag release for sure is to:

1) Recognize it is time to reload

2) Pull with my support index finger to torque the gun to the left about 10 degrees (into my right thumb)

3) Right thumb activates mag release

4) Support hand is retrieving mag

I'm getting tired of the extra time it takes to torque the gun over to reach the mag release.  In CO I have no option of adding a button.  Do I need to change my natural grip to move my thumb ever so slightly forward for a quicker button press?  Or is there another technique?

Need to practice adjusting your grip with your strong hand only to get your thumb to the mag release, then adjust it back as you are loading the new mag and getting sights aligned on target. Support hand should just be retrieving new mag. 

I never thought about flipping it around without my support hand bbq doing it.  That could save me 2 or 3 tenths on a reload.  Thanks.  I'll work on that and get back to this thread.

That reminds me of my extra speed I've gained on my draw by skipping one little motion. I used bring my hand up, above the grip, then back down to establish my thumb web first. Now, I just draw upward, establishing my middle finger under the guard first.  I saved 0.3 on my draw by just going up instead of up-down-up.

• 2 months later...

I'm still committed to using my thumb since all of my handguns share that location.  Though I want to be as fast and as competitive as possible, I want my competition experiences to support my carry skills wherever possible.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 4 months later...