Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened to the xdm?

Honeybooboo

I shot an XDm for years. Started shooting a Dbl-Stack 1911 in Limited and moved to a high thumbs-forward grip.

Now my thumb rides the oversized slide stop on the XDm and will not lock back on last round, so I switched to an M&P9 for Production. 

Still carry an XDs though and love it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Both my wife & I shoot XDm's. We love them. She shoots a tricked out XDm 9mm in Open class  and I shoot a Production Class Xdm in .40. They are easy to mod and clean and have never given us any issues.  Personally I'd rather spend the money on ammo getting better with these, then jumping to the new Fad gun every 3-4 months and having to start over.  still seeing quite a few of them at local events.

• 2 weeks later...

While I shot the XDm, it was a nice gun. But, yes, I agree, at least in my neck of the woods, they are few and far between. I just don't see them as being that focused on the gun games. I guess they do have Rob L. but Springfield seems much more interested in the carry market vs the comp market. Otherwise I think we would see more aftermarket accessories.

My non-scientific data says I see slightly more XDMs now then when I started three years ago.  I love my 5.25 9mm so much I went major with a 5.25 .40 last year.  Despite all the bad press about how a .40 is tougher to shoot I can shoot it as comfortably and well as my 9.  Like others have said, there will always be a segment chasing the latest fad.  Add to that, the market is much more fragmented now.  My spin on Glock is there are are so many more aftermarket parts because the gun needs so much more work to be right!

41 minutes ago, xdmfan said:

My spin on Glock is there are are so many more aftermarket parts because the gun needs so much more work to be right!

You had me right up until you said that!

I really like my 9mm 5.25 as well but shot a 34 for two years prior. The 34 NEEDED nothing but I still did quite a bit to it just to tweak it a little. Same with the 5.25 though. I put powder river parts in it etc.

But my carry, truck, house guns are stock Glocks for a reason. They just work!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 5.25 in 9mm for a few years and I loved it. It felt great in the hand, pointed well, was very accurate, and the Springer Precision trigger could not be beat. However, I found it kind of tough to reload quickly on a consistent basis. What ultimately made me switch to the P320 was it had all the same attributes as the 5.25, but I found it much easier to reload. That being said, I do miss my 5.25 from time to time. It was such a good pistol and shot so smoothly.