Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened to the xdm?

Honeybooboo

A few years ago it seemed like the xdm was fairly popular. Now it seems like nobody shoots one. The ergos are pretty good, the trigger is good and can be excellent. 

Is it because if you aren't shooting a Glock the ppq, 320, etc have taken over as the alternative?

Mirrors the experience in my family with self defense pistols.  My wife appropriated my 3.8" XDM 9MM.  She was so excited by the groups she was shooting with it.  Then, one day, after I'd moved on to CZs, she shot my P09 .40 S&W.  Even with my hot 135 grain Nosler hollow point reloads she was shooting better groups than with the XDM and she was so disappointed.  I had to buy her a CZ 75 Compact 9MM to keep from losing my P09.

I tried to give my XDMs to my oldest son but by then he'd shot my new P01 and now that's what he's looking for.

Five or six years ago when they came out, particularly the 5.25 models, it was the "hot new thing".  I still see them often enough, although I am not sure they ever really became the "hot" item here. My junior son ran his until he stopped shooting, so about 4 years. Then the M&P Pro's came out, and last year the Sig P320 and Walther PPQ M2 5". Plus CZ has been gaining share and "everyone" wants that instant GM card that comes with a CZ right?  A lot of the people that I know that have shot polymer whatever for a while, have all moved to the 2011's. Heck, Production here is now maybe 1/4 of the field, where it used to be half or better.

Personally, I never quite warmed up to the XDm.  I did shoot an XD9 for a while (carried it too), and currently have a Mod.2 Service for carry.  The XDm grip is just not quite the right comfortable size for what I like. 

1 hour ago, Bidah said:

Five or six years ago when they came out, particularly the 5.25 models, it was the "hot new thing".  I still see them often enough, although I am not sure they ever really became the "hot" item here. My junior son ran his until he stopped shooting, so about 4 years. Then the M&P Pro's came out, and last year the Sig P320 and Walther PPQ M2 5". Plus CZ has been gaining share and "everyone" wants that instant GM card that comes with a CZ right?  A lot of the people that I know that have shot polymer whatever for a while, have all moved to the 2011's. Heck, Production here is now maybe 1/4 of the field, where it used to be half or better.

Personally, I never quite warmed up to the XDm.  I did shoot an XD9 for a while (carried it too), and currently have a Mod.2 Service for carry.  The XDm grip is just not quite the right comfortable size for what I like. 

Good post but the M&P pro was way before the XDM. I had a pro in 08.

I shoot a 5.25" XDm in Production now.  Powder River trigger and other upgrades.  About 20k down the pipe.  Love the gun and just feels right in my hand.  Son shoots a G34 and have a G35 as a shared backup gun.  Not crazy about the Glocks but don't have nearly the experience with the Glocks.

I LOVE mine too. Started with a XD9 service. When the 5.25 came out I switched to that for USPSA and now use my XD9 for carry. I put a FF3 on it for carry optics. I am waiting for the 5.25 to be offered with the slide cut for optics in bi tone.

Well age, memory, divorce, etc wears on the mind. :D  I was thinking specifically of the 5.25 models and the Pro 9L.  The dates are also sort of tied to when my kids moved into shooting with their own guns.  Either way, I would think Scott saying that the aftermarket parts has not really slowed down being a really good indicator.  To some extent from what I have seen it will vary by region too.

Edited by Bidah
spelling

In Production i've got two Accu Shadows I use. Phenomenal guns. Easily my favorites. But not cheap. To test out CO division i purchased a couple XDm 5.25 9mm with PRP competition triggers. Put on a Springer Precision mount and a Burris FastFire 3 on each. I've competed with XDm 5.25's in the past, so i'm not new to them. I thought if i ever got serious about CO i'd get some shadows.  But i'm so impressed with the performance and accuracy of these XDm's in CO i now have no plans of replacing them. My appreciation of these great guns has really been elevated.

I jumped back into the game and started with XDm.   It has the closest to 1911 feel to me.   I just upgraded to a 2011 model for my competition rig, sold my XDm 5.25 and purchased a 4.5 for the house/truck.   Looking at XDs for a carry rig.   I think they are great guns.   

XDMs are still in the mix for polymer pistols in competition.  With a proper grip the recoil impulse for these platforms are similar, leaving the grip geometry and trigger feel as the main difference.  I own XDMs, Glocks, and an M&P CORE and prefer the XDM because it is easier to transition between that gun and 19/2011s.  Shooters preferences (and their hands) are different, and if you shoot multiple platforms it becomes more important to have a gun that points naturally in the hand.  With that said, anyone can shoot any handgun equally well with the proper amount of training so in the end it is a matter of preference.

I've shot the XDM 5.25 for the last year in production and it preforms extremely well.  With a Powder River Trigger and  extended mag release plus a .100 wide Dawson fiber optic front sight the Springfield will consistently shoot 5 shot 3/4 inch groups at 15 yards.  It has about 4500 plus rounds through it now without a malfunction of any kind.  It may not be as popular as some of the other brands but it points like an extension of my finger and I'd buy another if and when I wear this one out.

Edited by Batmo

XDM 5.25 still has a strong following out here. The Production guys that jump to the newest gun are on the SIG 320 right now and they will jump again when something else comes out. For me it was getting an Accu Shadow for production that did in my 5.25. Now I use it for 3Gun only when I get a chance and the 4.5 for IDPA.

I had an XDM and got rid of it before I really gave it a chance.  I kind of regret it now.  Shooting a Glock I can see where the XDM has improved/ideal features ....  or at least for me.

Edited by nwhpfan