Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Short Colt and WSF powder

BallisticianX

I just got a 627 and intend to 38 Shoot Short Colt brass out of it for ICORE. I have a plethora of WSF powder on hand as I stocked up for use with 9mm in my now retired 929(learned to hate that gun). I norrmaly just set out to R&D loads myself and enjoy doing so. Unfortunately I dont have the time to spend collecting data and results these days. Si I am going the time saver route and asking you folks if you have already experimented with WSF in the short colt and to share your data and load as well as dislikes or likes. I appreciate anything you can share. 

4.2 gr over a cast and hitek coated 135 gr RN made  123 pf out of my 627-5 PC. Accuracy was not too good. I will do some more experimenting with different weight bullets. Unfortunately it wont be for another month. The Barrel was mounted on a considerable cant(over rotated) of which I was gonna let slide as Im shooting open revo and the canted sight was a non issue. But after my second round of test loads the action got stiff and I found the cylinder is dragging across the barrel face. Most likely because the barrel was overtightened closing off the cylinder gap. THen again it could be too much end shake too. It's not out of the question for what I've seen roll out of the S&W Perfromance (or as I call it the "Poorformance) Center. It on its way back to Springfield MA for a proper fix, or hopes of a proper fix....never know with them these days!