Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle tuning

Willz

I have a new rifle build and I'm using a JP LMOS bcg, JP SCS with multiple springs, an Armalite muzzle brake and an SLR adjustable gas block.

Where do I start the tuning/ balancing process?

What's the order of operation for getting all this working together to reduce felt recoil and stay on target?

I haven't drilled the ports on the muzzle brake yet.

All I've done so far is install the lightest spring in the pack on the SCS and dial down the gas with the SLR gas block to the minimum required to lock the bolt back on my handloads.

Edited by Willz

• 1 year later...

I run the JP Low mass Steel bolt carrier, and I run the JP SCS, there is more to it than just running the softest spring. I would suggest not going below the 80% spring. I would go lighter spring with a heavier carrier, and heavier with a lighter carrier up and down from the lightened steel carrier. Follow? You also have to factor in that the gun needs to run 100%. So when there is dirt and fouling in the action it still needs to run. 

My process. I run the 85% spring, with the JP LoMass Steel carrier, if I ran the gun dirtier or went to a place with lots of dust I would throw in the 90% and regas. Currently with the 85%, I start with my lowest pressure load. Take 5 mags and load one round in each. Starting from the gun short stroking from not enough pressure (the gas screw turned all the way in), turn it half to a full turn out... Tune the gas to lock back on every one of them and only JUST... , then open the gas 1/4-1/2 more than it takes to JUST lock the bolt back on the last round. With that setup you should be able to run a slightly dirty gun and still have it run as it should unless it gets below the the threshold your lube starts to gel. Keep in mind if you set this up at 30 degrees and shoot at 60 degrees there will be issues, Make sure the temp and lube you set it up on is the same you will use later. 

Then I would shoot the gun a couple rounds, watch the dot / scope and see what it does. If you are right handed you will likely see the dot raise and move to the right. You will start then with the instructions on the brake. Note, you are making holes in the first gas port chamber the bullet will deal with coming out of the gun, Just cause your other xyz comp / brake has a 1/2 inch hole in the top, doesn't mean your setup with this break will be the same. Go slowly, But you will likely find that the right gas port hole is smaller than the top hole. Keep shooting till it shoots flat. The idea being the dot doesn't raise out of the A zone. I think 5/8 A zone recoil was where my surefire was. Armalite, much less. Don't be surprised if you end up with a 3/16 hole if that is what works for you... In an ideal world and I was sponsored with ammo and those armalite pills to drill out, I would drill the top hole out till my muzzle dropped or the efficacy of the brake was reduces(muzzle rises again). Then back it off to the last hole sized that worked the best.

Edited by PaladinPrecision