Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on Benelli barrel throating.

somebrains

Shot a local match this weekend.

Had some failures to feed.

No sharp spots in extractor, new carrier spring reduced issues, using motor oil seemed to work best.

Springs are all new, changed bit by bit, factory weights.

Still, had to give the bolt handle a whack a lot.

Will having my barrel throated help?

Any specific gunsmith?

Federal #6 lead 1290fps, 7.5 didn't want to run at all.

Rio buck ran fine but there were under 10 mandatory buck targets.

Federal low recoil slugs were fine.

Tried 7.5 AA's, had a bobble.  Someone left early so I grabbed a box off them.

Remington STS were ok, but I only tried 16 of them.

I shot the stages Saturday, RO yesterday.

Saw a lot of guns in a 150shot total event.

Pump guns really can have fewer problems.

Edited by somebrains

Lead shot, 1 1/8, every spring is new except for extractor spring, I did have to replace the spacer I lost when changing the carrier spring.  Recoil spring/stock retaining nut was original flush fit one without flats.  So this gun isn't one that got a lot of cleaning or taking down.

Not sure what chilled, hardened, shaken, or stirred shot is, shot but I'll pay attention next trip to the store when I buy a case.

I will put a bend back in the nose of the TTI lifter.  As new I could really feel it while loading.  Shell rims were really clicking on the nose, and I straightened it out.

Gun is a 12,xxx M1.  I was chasing a lot more issues months ago, a lot were ironed out thanks to posts here.  It's spent 20 years slitting out high brass buck and slugs.  Only recently decided wanted to play games with it instead of being my safe anchor.  I've never shot anything lighter than defensive buck until this year out of a shotgun.

Edited by somebrains

I was kidding about the shot, it has nothing to do with your problem.

You have induced your problem by straightening the nose of the lifter. It needs a little bit of bend down at the front to keep it from overly lifting the shell into the upper locking lug recess and jamming, about 8-10 degrees

11 hours ago, kurtm said:

I was kidding about the shot, it has nothing to do with your problem.

You have induced your problem by straightening the nose of the lifter. It needs a little bit of bend down at the front to keep it from overly lifting the shell into the upper locking lug recess and jamming, about 8-10 degrees

Awesome, I'll bring a table vise to adjust it and work on it Saturday.  

Everyone should be burnt from events, I'll grab a bay and some apparatus to keep me occupied.

One stage had a spinning Texas Star no shoot with a Polish plate rack behind it I really enjoyed.

Is barrel throating worth having done?

Edited by somebrains

There isn't  any throating  per se'. The only area that needs a slight rounding is the sharp edge where the extractor cut out in the barrel is. This is best done with 320 wet and dry sand paper and a finger tip. Just cone it in towards the chamber slightly till it isn't sharp.

There are a few things I do in the ramp area in the way of "throating" that keeps the nose of the shell from getting over that way, but I have noticed that none of the other Benelli builders do anything in this area and just rely on a slight bevel on the extractor cut so I would say NO barrel throating isn't worth it.....because no one does it.

Edited by kurtm

• 3 weeks later...

Somebrains, I would look into what kurtm said as my m2 runs pretty much anything all day long with out any question.  Hate to see you lose any faith in it, that being said if its a major match I would still be running good AA's.  For local matches and general practice I run the cheap stuff and never have any issues. 

14 hours ago, target4fun said:

Somebrains, I would look into what kurtm said as my m2 runs pretty much anything all day long with out any question.  Hate to see you lose any faith in it, that being said if its a major match I would still be running good AA's.  For local matches and general practice I run the cheap stuff and never have any issues. 

I did confer with him.

The practice right after my local match I noticed more guys shooting Walmart Remington bulk, or Fiocchi.

We all had problems, but when you are in the moment with a gun you have been learning or performing 20 year deferred maintainance it can be like rebuilding your first Quadrajet while out on your first date.

I took Riggers advice and spent a few extra $ on AA's and STS.  

My gun ran fine on either, AA's were a little short so I had to adjust my caddies.

I've stopped messing with my gun after tossing in the original inertia spring and a Wolff reduced recoil spring for the practice day.  Feels normal now.

There was something wrong with the way my gun was timed, if you will.  Hadnt felt right cycling birdshot.  Maybe I'm fine with just a reduced power recoil spring, not messing with it.  Everything feels right again.

I'm not giving up on this gun.  Quite the opposite, I'm working thru my issues.

Going to shoot through some cheapie options until I find what works best now that AA's and STS 7 1/2 or #8 are known good 1145fps+

Worst thing that happens is that I spend time on the action range shooting a stack of test bulk birdshot through my M1.

Edited by somebrains