Edge40

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, coatessey said:

What do you do with the water afterwards? The main reason I wanted to go to wet tumbling was the lead dust. However do I really want to flush the water with lead content which will eventually find its way to my well?

If your septic system is that close to your well, I'd be worried about other things before lead. (just a joke, not serious)

53 minutes ago, coatessey said:

It is beyond the state's required minimum distance and of course the leach field heads out the opposite way. I'm assuming it would filter out before it hit the well but I was mainly curious what other folks did.

I didn't like dealing with the waste water and all of the extra steps so I ended up using my wet tumbler with dry "stuff"..I tumble for an hour with treated walnut and another hour with untreated corn cob and it comes out nicer and just as clean as wet tumbling..I use torn up blue paper shop towels to capture the dust and it works great.

I like my model B but I recently switched from city water to well water and I can't get the brass to shine like I did with the city water. The brass almost looks burnt once I get it dry. I am using a food dehydrators to dry the brass. Before the dehydrator I was using the oven to dry the brass. Since then, I just wait until I have a lot of of brass (10 gallons or so) and rent a cement mixer and clean it all in a day. I actually like the cement mixer better because I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the harbor freight dual drum.  I can keep ahead of brass needs by washing early.  I cleaned out the dry media after my first batch.

1.5 hr run with dawn and lemishine, 1/2 pound pins, 10 oz cup of brass in each tumbler.  I pour the pins thru a strainer that fits over a 5 gal bucket., rinse 2x, shake out cases on to a towel, shoeshine treatment with towel.  I have a homemade dryer that runs air thru them for a day, store.  Rushing them into service resulted in wet primers.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure this is in other threads but are you guys adding any type of wax to keep the brass nice and clean looking after tumbling? I know I've read a bunch of people using the wash and wax stuff but can't remember if it was a trial or if it worked really good. I just did like 4,000 cases today in various calibers and used Blue Coral Wash and Wax with the stainless pins and they came out great but it seems as though the 9mm cases I did earlier in the day aren't looking quite as bright as the 380 cases I finished a few hours back. Not sure if they are starting to oxidize already or if I just need to tumble with a different product.

the Frankford Arsenal is the best deal out there for a commercial product.

Using what you have available is very nice too - like the cement mixer.

I run 400 at a time of 9mm in just a 1 gallon milk jug attached to a pasta maker from a thrift store ($5) - put that in a pail on wheels and it works great.

Regardless, after tumbling - I place my 9mm sifting pan inside of a painters filter normally used for 5 gallon buckets of paint.

Also I have a round magnet from a speaker that I put into the sink strainer just in case any pins slip out. 

Harbor Freight has these magnetic trays for parts - they seem to give them away every other week too - the magnet comes right off.

Do that before you dump the water down the drain and you will be fine.

I was looking at the FART, but ended up using a cement mixer, 5lb of pins, citric acid (5lb vs little over priced bottle of lemi-shine). Pins and citric acid both from amazon. Running brass in 5gallon batches currently. I may still buy the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler at some point just for small runs of PRS brass. 

EyOVVGvl.jpg

Solar Drying system 

wQ2skn7l.jpg

Way over filled separator, don't do this... 

Hz5h2ZRl.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2017 at 0:12 PM, CDRGlock said:

FART (Franklin Arms Reloading Tools) from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

????

I thought it was Frankford Arsenal Reloading Tools.  I've never heard of Franklin Arms Reloading Tools, unless that is what it used to be called before my time.  I might be wrong.  

Here is the link to it on Amazon for those that are interested:  Frankford Arsenal Platinum Rotary Tumbler 

Looks like it is going for $160.64 plus there is some sort of coupon for $15.61 off that.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, R1_Demon said:

????

I thought it was Frankford Arsenal Reloading Tools.  I've never heard of Franklin Arms Reloading Tools, unless that is what it used to be called before my time.  I might be wrong.  

Here is the link to it on Amazon for those that are interested:  Frankford Arsenal Platinum Rotary Tumbler 

Looks like it is going for $160.64 plus there is some sort of coupon for $15.61 off that.

You are correct. Easy to get the name confused. Works wonders though and holds a ton of brass considering how small it looks.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, Got2beshooting said:

I like my model B but I recently switched from city water to well water and I can't get the brass to shine like I did with the city water. The brass almost looks burnt once I get it dry. I am using a food dehydrators to dry the brass. Before the dehydrator I was using the oven to dry the brass. Since then, I just wait until I have a lot of of brass (10 gallons or so) and rent a cement mixer and clean it all in a day. I actually like the cement mixer better because I can get a lot done in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are using citric acid (like Lemi-Shine), try reducing the amount you are using.  

• 2 years later...

I am looking for a way to clean hundreds of brass at a time.  Last time, I put them in a medium weight canvas bag, zip tied them closed, and threw them in the wash with some jeans, then the dryer.  They looked plenty clean, and dry, but the inside of the Manila colored bag was now black.  The insides were not very clean, but passable, primer pockets were acceptable, and the outside looked good.  I wonder how it would have gone with small, saucer shaped discs in the bag with the brass?

I’m considering the Franklin Arsenal 7 liter model, but I have a hard time finding that much money for, what I’m told, is a Chinese product, based on how many such products were not well made.

Im sure it works, but for how long, is the question.

I’ll decide, one way or the other, by today’s end.