Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP!! Live round stuck in chamber

joshxdm9

As a Range Officer at a very large local range we were taught to make sure the muzzle was in a safe direction, all other ammo is out of the gun, put a cleaning rod down the barrel and tap the bullet out.  Since there is nothing to restrict the case it should just fall out. 

Had a 40 reload from a buddy that had a small Glock bulge in the case that I didn't notice. It get stuck in a 'Smith SW40VE just about a tenth inch from going into battery. Also jammed the slide. No go in, no come out any normal way. Only way I got it out was a cleaning rod down the barrel and a hard jab against my workbench when I got it home. Dumped the round in a reject cup of water and gave the rest back. Wear safety glasses and grit your teeth. No other way I can think of. Good Luck.

Naval Aviator - Viet Nam

NRA LIFE & ENDOWMENT

On Friday, September 09, 2016 at 7:26 PM, joshxdm9 said:

Ok so I have shot hundreds of reloaded .223 rounds and just started having problems with the case/ round getting stuck in the chamber. Pull the trigger firing pin drops but doesn't go off  so I try to rack out and have to battle ram the thing to get it to eject. 

Anyways for some dump reason I try to fire a few out of a new AR and it happens again!!! But this time I get the bcg back but now the live  round is jammed in the chamber!!!! Sooooo now what to do??? 

I thought about taking a cleaning rod and trying to tap it out from the muzzle but that just creeps me out! I was able to get the lower off and bcg out and left it along until I could think of a safe way to try and get it out or hope to get some suggestions here.. 

Thanks for any advice from anyone who may have had this issue at one time or another. 

I have done the cleaning rod before. As long as the bcg is out and you only tap, I dont see a problem.

I don't care how hard you smack it from the bullet/case mouth end, it will not detonate.

And, before you start compressing anything to the point of "expanding" the case in the chamber, you will have driven the bullet into the case and have powder dribbling up around it.

Brass rod down muzzle, hammer until it comes out. If it doesnt come out, get a bigger hammer...

• 2 months later...

I read here a few times about using a brass dowel.  I have used a wooden dowel as a squib remover..... and recently as a live round extractor after experiencing the same problem as OP.  Wood no good? 

btw, my "problem" was case resizing did not get a Glock Bulge entirely straight.  Round (after extraction) did NOT fit into my Shockb 100.

Edited by amada8

I had a similar problem a year ago.  Back then I tried shooting a .308 load neck sized and only fired in a Rmington 5R in a Savage FCP.   The case was stuck and I tried everything to get it out, including a brass rod.  I bent 2 solid brass rods!  I ended up putting Kroil in the barrel for an hour and the case took very little pressure to remove after that.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2016 at 7:13 AM, GrumpyOne said:

It would only create the suction once a round had been fired and the brass was expanded to the chamber walls, pushing the oil out...

On 9/9/2016 at 7:05 PM, mwray said:

If it's a brand new gun there is a good chance of oil in the chamber that would create a suction

I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my brain around this....suction?

With an unobstructed barrel how would there be a suction.....?

Could someone enlighten me, please.....

• 2 months later...

I have had this little problem a few times. I use a 3/16" brass rod I got from Amazon. Cut the rod to length and use a hammer to tap the round out. 

I have used this method with the Armys M-4s, M-16s, Various AR15s and a few others. You have not discovered a new and unique problem here, like Grumpyone said, get medieval with it.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:53 AM, bfilbey said:

I have had this little problem a few times. I use a 3/16" brass rod I got from Amazon. Cut the rod to length and use a hammer to tap the round out. 

I have used this method with the Armys M-4s, M-16s, Various AR15s and a few others. You have not discovered a new and unique problem here, like Grumpyone said, get medieval with it.

+1.  My only addition is that Ace Hardware sells 3-foot long 3/16-inch (good for .22 cal) and 1/4-inch (good for 9mm and greater) brass rods for under $10.  Dribbling some Kroil down the bore and letting it sit overnight also seems to help.

The OP is now almost 6 months old.  Did you ever get the round out?

Edited by XD Niner

6 hours ago, XD Niner said:

The OP is now almost 6 months old.  Did you ever get the round out?

I don't know how often the OP gets on here, but yes, the round is out of his barrel and he's back in business.

Be very cautious whacking too hard on a rod down the muzzle.  There was a report in the past of a fatality when a shooter tried to remove a cartridge using a rod and the cartridge fired.  The theory is that the bullet slipped into the case and the sudden compression of the air in the case heated things up and lit off the powder.

This is not all that far-fetched as Daisy at one time marketed a 22 that used caseless ammunition that was fired by a sudden compression of air.

You may want to soak the chamber in a penetrating oil as well, giving it time to work it's way around the case before pulling or pushing on the cartridge.  If you can slightly heat the chamber area it may also expand the steel slightly - but, obviously, don;t heat it too much or you can light off the powder.

Again, be cautious and do not let anyone stand in front of or behind the bore.

Guy