Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP!! Live round stuck in chamber

joshxdm9

Ok so I have shot hundreds of reloaded .223 rounds and just started having problems with the case/ round getting stuck in the chamber. Pull the trigger firing pin drops but doesn't go off  so I try to rack out and have to battle ram the thing to get it to eject. 

Anyways for some dump reason I try to fire a few out of a new AR and it happens again!!! But this time I get the bcg back but now the live  round is jammed in the chamber!!!! Sooooo now what to do??? 

I thought about taking a cleaning rod and trying to tap it out from the muzzle but that just creeps me out! I was able to get the lower off and bcg out and left it along until I could think of a safe way to try and get it out or hope to get some suggestions here.. 

Thanks for any advice from anyone who may have had this issue at one time or another. 

I'm not sure the safest way to get the live round out...but i'm wondering what's up with your ammo/rifles?  REALLY dirty chamfers?  OAL too long and bullet is seating in lands?  Case not fully resized?  Would incorrect head spacing cause round to not go off?  

Sorry I can't offer any real help on this, hopefully someone here can!

7 minutes ago, uewpew said:

I'm not sure the safest way to get the live round out...but i'm wondering what's up with your ammo/rifles?  REALLY dirty chamfers?  OAL too long and bullet is seating in lands?  Case not fully resized?  Would incorrect head spacing cause round to not go off?  

Sorry I can't offer any real help on this, hopefully someone here can!

Well ... My routine for loading .223 is 

resize and deprime 

trim 

de-burr and clean primer pockets 

load 

case gauge (and they pass )

BUT I started crimping with a lee fcd on a single stage and wondering if that has something to do with it... BUT the rounds I shot today were pre crimp rounds that I have shit hundreds of out of a stag 3G 

chamber should have been clean it was brand new... 

Did the extractor tear the case's rim?  If the rim is not torn up too badly I would first try seating the extractor and then mortaring the complete rifle.  If the rims messed up or the mortaring does not work, rod down the muzzle...

Are those reloads or factory ammo?  If reloads, probably too long OAL or if seating/crimping at one station, could be bulged shoulder from seating/crimping die out of adjustment.  The extracted round should be telling. 

1 hour ago, dthomas1003 said:

You can use a rod from the muzzle end and tap it out. Been there, done that. Nothing to worry about. 

Did you have to really beat it out or just a light tap did the trick? No worries about bullet setting back to far and compressing powder ??

2 hours ago, joshxdm9 said:

Did you have to really beat it out or just a light tap did the trick? No worries about bullet setting back to far and compressing powder ??

It depends. A light tap might be all it needs or it might need a little more force. Bullet set back and compressing the powder is a non issue. You won't be attempting to shoot this round again. 

I'm not a fan of sticking a cleaning rod down the bore and pushing back because if you seat the bullet all the way into the case and then keep pushing, you are going to bulge the brass and make it tighter in the chamber. I'm guessing the bottom of the case is not properly sized and is where it is jammed into the chamber. The mentality seems to be once you've started pushing you might as well keep going and next thing you have a hammer involved.

Case gauges are wonderful things for setting up dies and preventing this sort of thing.

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I got some reloads from a local friend, and had trouble getting loaded rounds out of the

chamber (to show clear).

He told me he had inserted the bullet at a slight angle, and that was causing the problem

ejecting live rounds.

Jack, I don't buy that. I have put a bullet on a case damn near sideways and pulled the ram, and it still seated the bullet correctly.....many times over...

9 hours ago, dthomas1003 said:

It depends. A light tap might be all it needs or it might need a little more force. Bullet set back and compressing the powder is a non issue. You won't be attempting to shoot this round again. 

This. As for bulging the brass even more trying to drive it out, that is most likely a non issue as well. The friction between the case wall and the chamber is going to be less than the force it takes to deform a loaded round stuck in the chamber. It probably will only take one sharp whack before it comes out....

• 2 weeks later...

Update... Tried to very lightly tap out with cleaning rod I mean very lightly so that didn't set bullet back in case .. No luck:angry: Put in freezer for about 6 hours and tried to pull out with a modified screwdriver that I bent the very end of to grab a hold of the rim of the case No luck:angry: next thinking of putting bcg back in and see if I can drop it and fire round out. Guess since case lip is ripped out where extractor is if it doesn't go bang can just try again !!! This is really getting very frustrating.

4 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Why are you so worried about the bullet setting back into the case? 

Well I hate to compress the powder for 2 reasons.. One if it compresses to much won't it flare the case out even more ? And second just afraid of kaboom!! I

I had the same problem on one of my rifles. The Match ammo  gauge said I was good but every round I tried to chamber locked it up like a bank vault.

Put the same ammo in a JP Match gauge and it was no go. Resized cases I bought were not resized correctly. I knocked the stuck round out with a G.I. cleaning rod.

6 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Powder only kabooms when a primer goes off behind it....Second, while it may bulge the case a bit, I feel fairly certain that the round will come out long before that happens.

agreed. there is no chance of a kaboom just because the bullet may seat deeper into the case.

putting the bolt back in and trying to slam it into battery and fire it is the (slightly) more dangerous method. that's more likely to get you a really stuck case (given it's already ripped part of the rim off).

knocking it out with a squib rod is the way to go. as long as you're using a proper sized rod of brass or a polymer (like the arredondo ones) you can pound away as hard as you like. 

25 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

agreed. there is no chance of a kaboom just because the bullet may seat deeper into the case.

putting the bolt back in and trying to slam it into battery and fire it is the (slightly) more dangerous method. that's more likely to get you a really stuck case (given it's already ripped part of the rim off).

knocking it out with a squib rod is the way to go. as long as you're using a proper sized rod of brass or a polymer (like the arredondo ones) you can pound away as hard as you like. 

Ok ... I think I will try putting tension on the rear of the case with my modified screw driver while pulling out and try to tap from the muzzle a little harder . Man I hope this works it's driving me nuts!!!