Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elbow pain from draw practice?

target4fun

I had pretty bad elbow pain as you guys are describing after focusing hard on driving down my draw.  

I used a theraband bar thing
wrapped my elbow daily with a rubber strap (voodoo flossing)
used a hard ball to massage the elbow and surrounding muscles
did the exercises from the shooters elbow link
applied heat nightly with a heating pad

Thanks to advice from Jake Di Vita and a few others on the forum it took about two months but I am completely pain free and my draw is fast as ever.  Keep doing the therapy, even after it feels better.  Unless you have a serious injury of some sort the therapy works.  I kept dry firing the whole time. 

Edited by CrashDodson

• 7 months later...

I'm having the same thing but I think mine is being caused by rolling my hands in to grip the gun kind of like Voggel, and suggestions on grip technique to rdeuce pressure on elbows?

12 minutes ago, tdp88 said:

I'm having the same thing but I think mine is being caused by rolling my hands in to grip the gun kind of like Voggel, and suggestions on grip technique to rdeuce pressure on elbows?

Don't compromise your shoulder position by letting your elbow flare out. Remember that the body is a system of systems. Everything works together. When you put your shoulder into a crappy position (in this case that crappy position is internal rotation in flexion), it also compromises the stability of the joints upstream and downstream.

Search for Kelly Starrett videos on youtube about shoulder position and ways we can perform self maintenance when joints start acting pissed off.