Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ESP Gun For IDPA

Bart Solo

I am sort of a snowbird.  Come winter I head to Florida.  Where I live in Florida USPSA is virtually unknown.  They seem to shoot a lot of IDPA.  Last year I shot my Glock 35 in a couple of local matches.  The 40 S&W round put me at a disadvantage shooting IDPA.  This year I thought I would switch guns.  I love 1911s and IDPA has a special division just for 1911s in 45, but I thought I would try a single stack 9mm in the ESP category.  I have been looking at the Springfield RO and the new Colt Competition.  They are really close in price.  IDPA has a 10 round limit so a double stack really isn't needed.  Does anybody have any thoughts on a solid out of the box single stack 1911 for IDPA.   Has that boat sailed?  Is everybody shooting something else?  What about mags.  I have read finding reliable magazines is a real impediment for anybody trying to shoot a 1911 in 9mm.  I would prefer 9mm because of cost. While I am in Florida I will buy my ammunition instead of load it myself.  

Oh, I am thinking the gun would be used to shoot steel challenge as well. 

Thoughts are solicited. 

Edited by Bart Solo

1st thought is shoot 40 minor. 

A 9mm RO would be sweet. I used Tripp mags when I had a 9mm single stack. 

Even better would be a 9mm Eagle type doublestack. It sure is a lot easier than trying to cram that skinny single stack mag into that skinny hole. 

sti eagle 2011 all day long.  if you reload, get it in 40 and download for idpa, steel, 3 gun etc and major for uspsa limited.  or just shoot everything in 9mm including uspsa (limited minor).  sure you don't need the double stack capacity but it's there if you want it (ie 3 gun) and mag changes are easier than single stack.

I chose the RO in 45 for my single stack due to the excellent customer service from Springfield. They have the best customer service in the industry, hands-down. A customer of mine let a .40 S&W get down the barrel in front of another .45 cartridge. Customer was OK, gun was not. Springfield rebuilt the top end of a TRP for $125 if my memory is correct.

That said, I don't own one in 9mm. If it were to give trouble I've no doubt that would make it right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 1:02 PM, davsco said:

sti eagle 2011 all day long.  if you reload, get it in 40 and download for idpa, steel, 3 gun etc and major for uspsa limited.  or just shoot everything in 9mm including uspsa (limited minor).  sure you don't need the double stack capacity but it's there if you want it (ie 3 gun) and mag changes are easier than single stack.

^^^ This, I wish I had bought and Eagle instead of an Edge for that very reason.

While I love my Dan Wesson PM9 for SS minor - I would go for an STI Eagle if I were planning to shoot IDPA ESP. For the simple fact that reloads will be easier. You'll have a bigger hole to aim for - and the mags will seat easier. Outside of that, there's really no difference. ( I have a set of Perman grips on my PM9, so the gun feels like a 2011 in my hand.)

Had a 9mm Trojan. Tried several brands of mags, best luck was with Tripp Cobra's but the feed lips would spread after a while. 

Gave up on 9mm 1911's due to problems with reliability when trying to load them to 10 rounds. Others have had better success, as a 9 + 1 gun it was an excellent choice I thought. 

6 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: A 9mm 2011 with a shortened legal bull barrel is a great ESP pistol. I made one to shoot IDPA and some fun shoots with. It is a very soft shooter and very quick on target. Reloads very quick with a box legal magwell. Thanks, Eric

A 40 loaded down (I have an STI Eagle) is a pretty fun option too.

I think right now my minor loads are around 140 power factor, could go lower but the recoil impulse is good as is and there are no aggravations with off calibration poppers like you run into shooting closer to 125. 

• 1 month later...