Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Classic Single Stack Reviews?

arnettcw1

1 hour ago, STIboy said:

So basically STI knowingly advertised a product as Single Stack legal when it wasn't.  How ethical of them.  And the reports of being unable to get any help from them seems consistent with that.

I bought some 10 round 2011 STI magazines to go with my DVC Limited gun.  Interestingly, the two 10 round magazines that came with the gun worked fine, but the four I purchased afterward didn't.  I needed to tune them myself (that you, Dawson Precision tuning kit) until I could get them functional.

FIXED!

I finally found a simple solution to the gun being overweight, and brought it from 41 ounces without a magazine to 39.8 ounces.  I replaced the standard 5.4" Dawson toolless steel guide rod with their 5" aluminum one.  I haven't shot it yet with that, but when just racking the slide at home it seemed to function fine.

Oh, and the gun itself shoots very well.  Very accurate, with a wonderfully light trigger, and the extra sight distance makes it easier to make accurate hits at far targets.

Edited by STIboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/29/2017 at 10:31 AM, amish_rabbi said:

I like mine so far, but it should be noted that if you prefer and arched mainspring housing you can not easily put one onto it. I asked the distributor for canada and they said I could just swap it out. When I went to swap it out I found that the mount for the magwell on the stock one is 1/8" farther forward than it is on a standard dawson one. Easy to see why they did this, grinding away to fit the box would hit the threaded hole on a standard one so they had to move it forward. I have a couple ideas for making it work, but none of them are easy and all require a significant investment of time or money and skills.

Currently yelling at the distributor for not knowing anything about their product (they also told me I could use any mainspring housing, which is obviously wrong as well)

Arched and flat MSH use different magwells.

2 hours ago, AJquinn said:

Arched and flat MSH use different magwells.

hmmm, I wonder if it is a standard flat housing with a little bit cut off then. If I ever see someone with a standard one I'll have to take it apart and check.

Still, SOL if you want an arched housing easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Single Stack Nationals - talked with STI reps there. The Classic is fully guaranteed to qualify for USPSA SS as well as IPSC Classic - both weight and dimensionally. 

There  were no less than 5 shooters this year shooting this gun - none had any problems. It's close but NROI will allow it at any Level 1 match

1 hour ago, Chuck TLE said:

Just back from Single Stack Nationals - talked with STI reps there. The Classic is fully guaranteed to qualify for USPSA SS as well as IPSC Classic - both weight and dimensionally. 

There  were no less than 5 shooters this year shooting this gun - none had any problems. It's close but NROI will allow it at any Level 1 match

My understanding is that the .45 makes weight; all I know is my 9mm doesn't.

When I get a chance I'll call them.

On 5/20/2017 at 2:11 PM, Chuck TLE said:

My STI classic crapped out on first stage. Used backup Trojan rest of match.

It started with a cracked factory Sear I found a few days before the match. I replaced with new EGW sear and disco. Gun cycled and reset fine. During first stage SAT gun would not reset. Shoot once. Click. Manually cycle, bang, then click and repeat. Im sure it's related to replacement parts and sear spring tension.

• 3 weeks later...

My 40 is at 42 OZ with a Ed Brown MSH and Techwell IPSC magwell and grips and a Wilson 9 round mag. the Tripp mag was 43.1 OZ

Gun recently had another out of battery detonation at Area 5 on the first stage. This is after I replaced the Firing pin. Guess I will call STI again and get it sent back to them. Hopefully they call me back this time.

Not sure if it is related to this second out of battery or not, but now it is have light strikes every 50ish rounds. Literally no change in anything ammo wise. Same Batch as the last 5k rounds through the gun. 

Trojan is where its at. If I continue to have issues with the gun I'm going to sell it and just get another 2 Trojans for the same price. 

My 40 is at 42 OZ with a Ed Brown MSH and Techwell IPSC magwell and grips and a Wilson 9 round mag. the Tripp mag was 43.1 OZ

Gun recently had another out of battery detonation at Area 5 on the first stage. This is after I replaced the Firing pin. Guess I will call STI again and get it sent back to them. Hopefully they call me back this time.

Not sure if it is related to this second out of battery or not, but now it is have light strikes every 50ish rounds. Literally no change in anything ammo wise. Same Batch as the last 5k rounds through the gun. 

Trojan is where its at. If I continue to have issues with the gun I'm going to sell it and just get another 2 Trojans for the same price. 

What is your OAL? I've heard of 40 Cal single stacks detonating out of battery when the primer hits the ejector. One of the reasons people started loading longer. For light strikes I'd check if your firing pin channel is clean, if the toolhead on your press is tight enough, and make sure you weren't using S&B or some other rock hard primer. Just things to look into, i would be calling STI too though.

I don't get what they were thinking discontinuing the 40 Trojan (a great gun) and now the only single stack option for a 40 from them is a gun that costs as much as an entry level custom.

28 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Brian,

if you can, try pulling the slide back just a tiny bit with hammer cocked. See if the hammer will fall when you try pulling the trigger in that position. 

If you decide to sell, let me know. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, arnettcw1 said:

Anyone have one of the new STI DVC Classic single stacks?  I see there are some for sale, but I haven't seen any reviews by anyone yet.  Thanks.

I don't personally shoot single stack, but a buddy of mine does and bought the classic maybe 3 mos ago.  Hes an A shooter who prob should be a master.  But man he swears by that thing now.  .  He really liked the longer sight radius as well.  I also shot it and it shoots really good.  I cant think of any reasons not to get it.

Edited by Jts2581

15 minutes ago, TheSandMan491 said:

What is your OAL? I've heard of 40 Cal single stacks detonating out of battery when the primer hits the ejector. One of the reasons people started loading longer. For light strikes I'd check if your firing pin channel is clean, if the toolhead on your press is tight enough, and make sure you weren't using S&B or some other rock hard primer. Just things to look into, i would be calling STI too though.

I don't get what they were thinking discontinuing the 40 Trojan (a great gun) and now the only single stack option for a 40 from them is a gun that costs as much as an entry level custom.

The primer hitting the ejector is if you are ejecting a live round, hence why people always say to not roll the gun on its side and slowly pull the slide back to make the round fall into your hand like many always do. 

Also, S&B are absolutely one of the softest primers on the market. 11.5# hammer spring in a CZ sets them off all day (like 30k rounds). I totally agree on the other parts though, the firing pin channel especially. There shouldn't even be oil in there, as it can slow down the firing pin. 

STI Disco'd the Trojan to force people into buying the DVC Classic (my opinion)

Firing pin channel clean and free of debris. With the firing pin that came with the gun you can manually push it down the shaft and it'll stick exposed. Thought that was fixed with the new pin but since it happened again I'm thinking thats why there must be something wrong with the channel.

OAL 1.205. 

Been loading Winchesters for the last 5k rounds. 

Does the spring stick out past the end of the firing pin spring? Is the firing pin bent? If you drop the hammer on a dummy round with no primer inserted like on an unloaded start, it will bend the pin almost every time. 

I wish had known you were having issues. I got dq'ed a second after I saw you at the safe table. 

2 minutes ago, mach1soldier said:

Does the spring stick out past the end of the firing pin spring? Is the firing pin bent? If you drop the hammer on a dummy round with no primer inserted like on an unloaded start, it will bend the pin almost every time. 

I wish had known you were having issues. I got dq'ed a second after I saw you at the safe table. 

Dang just missed each other. 

Pin isnt bent to my eye. Have never had a unprimed round in the gun. always dummys or live. What happened that caused you to get DQ'd

Pointed the gun at my ear on a reload. I didn't see it on video and no one on squad did but not much you can do. I wasn't happy considering how well I was shooting. 

You might sand and polish the pin and hole to see if the pin will stop sticking. If it sticks, it's going to fire out of battery which sucks 

Pointed the gun at my ear on a reload. I didn't see it on video and no one on squad did but not much you can do. I wasn't happy considering how well I was shooting. 

You might sand and polish the pin and hole to see if the pin will stop sticking. If it sticks, it's going to fire out of battery which sucks 

The firing pin might also be too long. Try grinding .35" off and see if it's still sticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk