Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Classic Single Stack Reviews?

arnettcw1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a DVC Limited and a few Trojans, so that's where my frame of reference is. I handled a DVC Classic in my LGS the other day. The frame to slide fit was incredible and very smooth. Miles ahead of my guns the trigger was nice but had a lot of take up. Should be easy to adjust that with the trigger bow. The balance of the 5.5" was different, it would take some getting used to. The front strap checkering felt nice. The magwell is small, which is required for IPSC Classic division I think. Overall I was impressed. My DVC limited feels like an edge with lipstick. The classic felt like a genuinely nice gun.

I am primarily a singlestack shooter, and I handled and shot a friends DVC SS model. I was very impressed with the fit and finish and the trigger and the accuracy of the gun. I really dig the 5.4" barrel. He decided to switch to limited, so the gun is currently for sale at Hawktech in idaho (at least it was last week). If it were .45, I might have bought it, but if I buy one 40 SS gun I'll have to buy another as a backup.

15 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

Does the 9mm make weight in SS? Have to be careful with most 5" 1911's in 9mm. Thinking the 5.4" would be even more difficult.

I presume the folks at STI are aware of uspsa rules. Looks like with the slide cuts it will probably be fine. In my experience it's really only traditional slide profiles that get close enough to require saving a little weight elsewhere (like with an aluminum MSH). My tri-topped STI 9mm has no problem making weight even with flgr and steel MSH.

• 5 months later...

I just took my new STI DVC classic to the range last night and it is a very nice gun. Fit and finish is what you would expect for a gun of this price. The fit on it is SUPER tight. It definately is a tack driver and compared to my other 1911s is alot more accurate. I was shooting a Kimber Gold Match in SS before and this gun is way more gun. From a feel point of view it feels just like the other 1911's. The longer slide is slightly noticable but I do not feel it slows the gun down any. In real life it does not looked as pimped out as the pictures. I will post more as I shoot it but will end with I have absolutely no regrets dunping as much money into the gun as I did I feel it was worth it. Now just to find a holster.

Friend of mine just picked one up in .40. Super nice balance and finish. I am switching back to SS this summer with a Trojan .40. If I stay in SS I would very strongly consider a Classic and make my Trojan a backup.

That said, my friend did have to tweak the extractor a tiny bit on his.

5 hours ago, Irish said:

I just took my new STI DVC classic to the range last night and it is a very nice gun. Fit and finish is what you would expect for a gun of this price. The fit on it is SUPER tight. It definately is a tack driver and compared to my other 1911s is alot more accurate. I was shooting a Kimber Gold Match in SS before and this gun is way more gun. From a feel point of view it feels just like the other 1911's. The longer slide is slightly noticable but I do not feel it slows the gun down any. In real life it does not looked as pimped out as the pictures. I will post more as I shoot it but will end with I have absolutely no regrets dunping as much money into the gun as I did I feel it was worth it. Now just to find a holster.

What is "a lot more accurate?"   Like 4" groupings to 2" grouping at 15yards? 

Comparing to my Kimber goldmatch in 9mm I would say groups are half the size at 10 yards. the gun settles back on target quicker, the sight is always just there. Nothing scientific about shooting so far but the gun just feels way nicer and faster for me.

I just picked up a used one. Slide speed was a little slow so I went to a 10lb recoil spring and switched from 200 grain to 180. Sight is nice and steady and fast now.

All holes touching at 20 yards was good enough for me freehand. 

I am curious if it will fit in the box with a Dawson ice magwell instead of the ipsc magwell

• 2 weeks later...

I like mine so far, but it should be noted that if you prefer and arched mainspring housing you can not easily put one onto it. I asked the distributor for canada and they said I could just swap it out. When I went to swap it out I found that the mount for the magwell on the stock one is 1/8" farther forward than it is on a standard dawson one. Easy to see why they did this, grinding away to fit the box would hit the threaded hole on a standard one so they had to move it forward. I have a couple ideas for making it work, but none of them are easy and all require a significant investment of time or money and skills.

Currently yelling at the distributor for not knowing anything about their product (they also told me I could use any mainspring housing, which is obviously wrong as well)

On March 29, 2017 at 8:31 AM, amish_rabbi said:

Currently yelling at the distributor for not knowing anything about their product (they also told me I could use any mainspring housing, which is obviously wrong as well)

Freedom ventures? Not surprised as they were far from helpful to me!

Had Mine for about two weeks before I sent it off to Tripp to get the feed ramp worked on. 40SW wasn't feeding out of Wilson or Tripp mags. I assume that problem will be fixed. Its suppsoed to return today and I'll go shoot it. 

Took the trigger out and put in SV parts, Different Extractor. Not a fan of the saftey, I prefer the extra wide. Also will rip the magwell off and put on the Techwell magwell. 

Other than that, its pretty accurate and no complaints. Figuring out which holster to use was a challenge. 

The thing that stood out to me on one I shot was the undercut on the frame...it really let me get up high on the gun. Felt amazing in the hand. I didn't notice the extra lengt. The one I shot had some of the fcg parts swapped out and the trigger felt very good. Made me want to get my Wilson off to a smith and have them start cutting & checkering on the frame. 

On 9/8/2016 at 10:29 AM, arnettcw1 said:

Anyone have one of the new STI DVC Classic single stacks?  I see there are some for sale, but I haven't seen any reviews by anyone yet.  Thanks.

I just ordered one, and was told that it should be in next week.  I'll report back when I have some range time with it.

On 3/31/2017 at 10:41 AM, Oldminger said:

Freedom ventures? Not surprised as they were far from helpful to me!

yep!

Mine is in 9mm and I am having feeding issues with some of my tripp mags, got a higher EGW mag catch which should fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody weighed a DVC Classic?  Weight is not listed on the STI website and I can't find the postal scale (who mails anything anymore!).

In spite of the longer barrel it feels light to me, so I am wondering about replacing the toolless-GR with solid SS, if I can find someone to make it.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:35 AM, AlphaMutt said:

Has anybody weighed a DVC Classic?  Weight is not listed on the STI website and I can't find the postal scale (who mails anything anymore!).

In spite of the longer barrel it feels light to me, so I am wondering about replacing the toolless-GR with solid SS, if I can find someone to make it.

Just picked up my DVC Classic.  According to my postal scale, the gun itself weighs 41 ounces, and the included magazine is 2.9 ounces.  The lightest magazine I have is from Wilson, at 2.5 ounces, so I can't get it below 43 ounces. Basically, as delivered, it's not Single Stack legal.

ETA: I need to verify the accuracy of the scale first.  I'll get my hands on another to confirm the original weight was accurate.

Edited by STIboy

2 hours ago, STIboy said:

Just picked up my DVC Classic.  According to my postal scale, the gun itself weighs 41 ounces, and the included magazine is 2.9 ounces.  The lightest magazine I have is from Wilson, at 2.5 ounces, so I can't get it below 43 ounces. Basically, as delivered, it's not Single Stack legal.

I'll be calling STI tomorrow.

What caliber ?

1 hour ago, kimberacp said:

is the DVC Classic, SS legal, with the 5.4 barrel???

thanks

I don't have an USPSA box to put it in, but by eyeballing it with a ruler it seems to come in under the 8 15/16 length limit.  However, the real problem is it's overweight.  I tried my gun on two different digital postal scales; the first time the gun plus magazine weighed 43.9 ounces, and on the second, 43.6 ounces.  Unless I'm missing something, it's not Single Stack legal as delivered.

I wonder if replacing the stock guide rod and plug with a G.I. short guide rod with trim off enough weight to get under the limit.  Don't know, but I'm going to have a conversation with STI about this this week.