Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel for new shooter build

treechipper

Can you guys help me out. I've shot some 3 gun and I'm hooked. I've been super busy but as soon as it slows down plan on doing a lot more shooting. I am building a pretty cool ar, but I am stuck on the barrel. I almost pulled the trigger on a bartlein barrel but I am not hand loading for the AR right now, and spending that much money just doesn't make sense right now as I plan on burning up the barrels practicing as soon as I free up. Really just looking for a fairly light accurate barrel for around $200. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to relocate this thread to the Rifle Technical forum, you'll probably get more traffic. 

As far as your barrel criteria goes, Faxon should have something for you. But your options open up if your willing to spend closer to $300. Bartlein makes great barrels but all that awesomeness would be a waste for a bunch of paper inside of 100 yards with occasional shots past that.

• 1 month later...

My present AR was built with a Black Hole Weaponry 5R barrel & this gun is amazing!   Not sure if it helped or not but the guy that assembled my rifle used a truing block to true the face of the receiver.   For a 16" gun, this thing is amazing plus it isn't real picky on the ammo & still hits to nearly the same POA.   Not sure how much the barrel cost but it was worth it!

• 1 month later...

I have had very good luck with Del-Tons for the 140 range.  I have had 3 and all shot at 1"or under.  The reason I mention the Del-Ton's is because you mentioned burning up the barrel with practice.  Cheap to replace !  Tony the Tiger mentioned the best part, you will be shooting more shots up close than at distance.  I have a Saturn on my game gun and it kills me to shoot hoser stages with that barrel, but it does not kill me when the long range plates fall and the flasher swing.

On 9/7/2016 at 7:28 PM, treechipper said:

Can you guys help me out. I've shot some 3 gun and I'm hooked. I've been super busy but as soon as it slows down plan on doing a lot more shooting. I am building a pretty cool ar, but I am stuck on the barrel. I almost pulled the trigger on a bartlein barrel but I am not hand loading for the AR right now, and spending that much money just doesn't make sense right now as I plan on burning up the barrels practicing as soon as I free up. Really just looking for a fairly light accurate barrel for around $200. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Faxon is under $200.00 You don't need an amazing barrel that holds .5 moa for 3 gun.  My go to's are an 18" BHW and Stretch 16 but both are over the $200 mark