Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question of powder funnel biting brass

Hello Everyone, I have run into a new issue with my new to me 550. When I expand and powder fill the case at station 2, the powder funnel sticks in the case and I need to force it out.

This is not a huge deal but at times bumps the case in station 1.

Initially i thought i was over expanding the case and adjusted it to have less bell but that did not help. I do not use any case lube and thinking maybe that is the issue?

Interested in other peoples thoughts.

K

Fairly normal for brass to stick to the Dillon funnel. If you do a search here you can see how many of us have dealt with it. I have just learned to power through it on the upstroke and barely notice it anymore.

polishing the funnel will help as will using some lube.

the easiest way to lube is get a really big ziplock bag and a can of the hornady one shot (the aerosol can). 

chuck around 150-200 cases into the bag. give 3 quick bursts with one shot. close up and shake around for 30 seconds or so. let it sit while you fill up the powder etc then just dump into the case feeder. no need to clean them afterwards. 

The powder funnel on my press stuck in my 9mm cases for the first year I owned it driving me crazy...I followed all Dillion's suggestions and then tried all the other suggestions on brass cleaning and polishing the powder funnel, FINALLY...I installed a Dillion resize/deprime die and adjusted it down to the top of the shell plate. This adjustment was the key to my press running as smooth as silk. It was an unbelievable change. Moral to the story... a few thousands can make a huge difference. 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, JD509 said:

The powder funnel on my press stuck in my 9mm cases for the first year I owned it driving me crazy...I followed all Dillion's suggestions and then tried all the other suggestions on brass cleaning and polishing the powder funnel, FINALLY...I installed a Dillion resize/deprime die and adjusted it down to the top of the shell plate. This adjustment was the key to my press running as smooth as silk. It was an unbelievable change. Moral to the story... a few thousands can make a huge difference. 

This. It is key to use the dillon die as the die sizes to the correct diameter for the powder funnel, and setting it as low as it can go is spelled out in the press instructions. I also use the one shot with a pile of cases in a gallon bag and then just dump them into a box to dry some before they get tossed into the feeder. Press runs like butter unless I'm using the LEE FCD and coated lead.

1 hour ago, mikeinctown said:

This. It is key to use the dillon die as the die sizes to the correct diameter for the powder funnel, and setting it as low as it can go is spelled out in the press instructions. I also use the one shot with a pile of cases in a gallon bag and then just dump them into a box to dry some before they get tossed into the feeder. Press runs like butter unless I'm using the LEE FCD and coated lead.

Which is why we can experience bulletsetback using a Dillon sizer. It just doesn't size enough nor does it size low enough in many instances. This is why guys turn the bottoms of them to size lower.

Well, darn it, Sarge, now I'm gonna have to go do some bullet setback measurements. I just got my 1050 a couple of weeks ago, and rather than bother with putting in my RCBS deprime/resize die, I just used the Dillon die instead. Now I'm paranoid about setback with the Dillon resize die.

From memory, it should take at least 35-45 pounds of force before setback occurs with 9mm... Does that sound about right?

So I cranked down my sizing die as far as it can go and tryed some case lube. The lube really helped resolve the issue so I will proceed with that approach going forward.

Thanks for all the help.

Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kro77 said:

So I cranked down my sizing die as far as it can go and tryed some case lube. The lube really helped resolve the issue so I will proceed with that approach going forward.

Thanks for all the help.

Adam

The lube will not only help the press feel like it runs better but I think you will notice that there is less variation in bullet length. Before I started using case lube I'd get a variation of as much as .010-.015 but after the case lube it's at like .005. (that is with coated lead) The press operates smoother so you get a consistant function each cycle.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:09 PM, Sarge said:

I have no clue. I just push the round against the bench. :)

FC BRASS was where I first noticed it. It seems to run a little thinner case wall than some others.

Just checked a few different cases for setback. You were right, Sarge, the FC headstamp brass has a problem with setback when resized with a Dillon resize die (in 9mm). All the other headstamps I checked were fine, but the FC cases were right around 25 pounds or so. I'm fairly sure that 35 pounds is considered minimum.

Guess I'll take all the FC cases out of my rotation and load them seperately with a different resizing die... Or just swap in my RCBS resize/decap die into the 1050, but then I lose the sweet Dillon decapping pin. What a PITA.

Edit: These were 115gr RMR FMJ bullets, BTW.

Edited by Phlier

1 hour ago, Phlier said:

Just checked a few different cases for setback. You were right, Sarge, the FC headstamp brass has a problem with setback when resized with a Dillon resize die (in 9mm). All the other headstamps I checked were fine, but the FC cases were right around 25 pounds or so. I'm fairly sure that 35 pounds is considered minimum.

Guess I'll take all the FC cases out of my rotation and load them seperately with a different resizing die... Or just swap in my RCBS resize/decap die into the 1050, but then I lose the sweet Dillon decapping pin. What a PITA.

Edit: These were 115gr RMR FMJ bullets, BTW.

Glad you found it out before any problems could occur.

On 9/17/2016 at 10:28 AM, kro77 said:

I used the franken lube recipe I found. I need to go to the range tonight and confirm all is good.

Just be careful with the lube. Excessive amounts can cause it to get into the case body, where it can interact with powder. Most lubes will render powder inert. If you feel the need to use lube for case mouth belling, you may want to give Hornady One Shot Case Lube a try, as it is both powder and primer friendly.

4 hours ago, Phlier said:

Just be careful with the lube. Excessive amounts can cause it to get into the case body, where it can interact with powder. Most lubes will render powder inert. If you feel the need to use lube for case mouth belling, you may want to give Hornady One Shot Case Lube a try, as it is both powder and primer friendly.

If used properly lanolin based lube(Dillon or home made) are harmless to powder.

any lube , even one shot) is supposed to dry before loading

3 minutes ago, kro77 said:

Yup i used a lanolin recipe and let it dry for two days.  Will go with my first batch of 100 rounds to check at the range.

Two days! JESUS!!! The alcohol evaporates almost instantly. I let things dry for a minute or two not a day or two. :)