Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Older 1911, Wanting New Sights... Help Requested

akeefer

Hey all,

So, I have an older Colt 1911, not worth a ton due to being refinished years and years ago, but it's a great shooter and I'd like to get a bit more modern sights on it. The front sight is kinda loose so that'll need to be taken care of. They are MICRO brand bullseye style sights. Would prefer to get a bit lower profile but I'm open to what I can do without having to mod it much. 

I still like an adjustable rear, but if that's too much work then I can forgo it. Anyone have any thoughts and how I should do it??

I'll probably get it refinished anyway since the bluing is coming off in recent years. 

Thanks!

IMG_1244.JPG

What are you going to use it for?

I'd make it moderrn, since you're talking about getting it refinished anyway, get dovetails cut for a Bomar style rear and whatever front works for you. While you're at it get a BTGS and appropriate hammer and be done with it. 

None of what I listed are super pricey, and it'll feel like a completely different gun when you're done.

That's what I'd do. Your tastes may differ. Have fun with it.

So any recommendations where to get it sent in to be done? In my area (PDX) I don't honestly trust any of the "gun smiths", unless you can prove me otherwise. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but let me know what you think! Definitely want to make it more modern.

Thanks!

Aaron

The old pinned in front sights eventually loosen, it's just a matter of how long. Dovetail front sights are much better in this regard, but the dovetail cut does require refinishing.

If you're going to have the slide cut for a new rear sight, I'd recommend fitting currently available model of sight. Adjustable sights do occasionally break, you would be best to use something you can get parts for.

Fixed rear sights are more durable, but require a front sight change to adjust elevation. If you're only going to shoot 230 grain ball, you'll never need to move the sights once the gun is zeroed. If you want fixed sights zeroed for elevation, you'll need to provide your gunsmith with your complete pistol so it can be test fired. There are small differences in barrel fit that change the point of impact from gun to gun.

I do like the fixed rear from Harrison design. That assumes your rear dovetail hasn't already been opened up. It looks a little wider than stock in the picture.

None of this stuff is rocket science, you just need someone who is detail oriented.