Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Not going to Slidelock

ngodwetrust21

I am having an issue with the gun not going to slidelock. Not so much of an issue when I am shooting USPSA, but IDPA it presents an problem. I have replaced the extended slide release with a standard and that helped, but the issue is still not fixed. The problem is because of the way I grip the gun and the grip pressure I am applying to the slide release. Anyone have this issue before and how do you fix it? I considered trying to find some mag springs that had more power to help it go to slidelock easier, but I am not sure if that is the fix for it. I am sure some of you have run into this issue before. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Andy

I had this problem.

My solution was twofold, may not work for you. Minor tweak to grip, left thumb knuckle/heal of hand contacts frame just in front of slide release, right thumb is forced out by it, slide release sits nicely in the gap created. Two, lots of live fire practice not squeezing with pad of right thumb.

Hmmmm... Interesting answers from the Enos hive-mind, but it appears I was on the right track to begin with. Bob Vogel in episode 23 of the shooters mindset says he fixed the problem by using 33 round mag springs and cutting a few coils off. I had to really dig to find that. Good thing I didn't change my grip or buy a new gun. I could take or leave IDPA though. Just extra trigger time. Time to pay Wolff gunsprings website a visit....

17 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

Here is another option for those that suffer from CLTS (chronic low thumb syndrome) cut the tab off, leave just enough on top to activate it. 

Is it ok to do that for USPSA production and IDPA SSP? I would think that would violate some equipment rule. I am just going to go with the 33 round mag springs for now. If it is good enough for Vogel, it is good enough for me.

Don't know about IDPA, but probably OK for USPSA under 21.6 for Production Division.  Not that anyone's going to notice/or care at a Level 1 match anyway. If it was a Level 2, or higher, I would get a clarification from the NROI, otherwise you could get bumped into Open.

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components.......examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

ISMI makes good 10% extra power springs that helps for me. No in SSP/Production you cannot modify or use an aftermarket slide release. I use the standard one as well and with my grip it'll still not lock back every once and a while. 

On 9/7/2016 at 6:16 PM, 9x45 said:

Don't know about IDPA, but probably OK for USPSA under 21.6 for Production Division.  Not that anyone's going to notice/or care at a Level 1 match anyway. If it was a Level 2, or higher, I would get a clarification from the NROI, otherwise you could get bumped into Open.

Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components.......examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Glock 34 comes standard with an extended slide release.  Therefore, a standard slide release (Glock 17) will fit the Glcok 34.  Since the slide release is an original Glcok part, I do not see any problem in the slide release being replaced 34 with the 17.

When I was shooting a Glcok previously, I had this discussion with others, and no one found a problem with it although I did not speak with a NROI  official.

mjohn, not talking about swapping a G34 extended slide stop with a G17 standard slide stop, or vice versa, that is allowed. What I illustrated was cutting the tab off of a G34 slide stop, which is modifying a OEM part, that's different. By the way, 1911s have slide releases, Glocks have slide stops.

• 2 weeks later...

i had this same problem.  i was replacing the part every few thousand rounds.  what i think was happening was i was putting pressure on the slide release, wearing out the spring.  i would put a new one in, problem went away for a month or 2.  so i cut the SOB like 9x45 said and haven't had the problem since.  i don't use the slide release to drop the slide, i sling shot it.  i shoot my 17 in limited.  i am a fan of changing the equipment to fit you, not the other way around...to a point obviously.  sometimes you DO need to get a different gun or change your grip.

On 9/7/2016 at 3:27 PM, ngodwetrust21 said:

Is it ok to do that for USPSA production and IDPA SSP? I would think that would violate some equipment rule. I am just going to go with the 33 round mag springs for now. If it is good enough for Vogel, it is good enough for me.

That would certainly be against the USPSA Peoduction rules in my opinion as it would ever so slightly change the outward appearance of the gun. I doubt it would get noticed, but if it did....

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 2:27 PM, ngodwetrust21 said:

According to DNROI, cutting that would not be USPSA Production legal. I recently had a conversation about reducing slide stops and thumb safeties. You cannot externally modify the externals like that.

USPSA,....More rules, more rules....I gave up when "multiple "rules" could be found for an infraction.... NOW, I'm all for safety, which UPSA is good at. You would have a hard time explaining  how slightly trimming the slide lock lever would be an advantage for a shooter...... I can remember when the "rule book" was no more than a pamphlet.. My last RO certification was bask in 1991, I feel that USPSA has too many "rules" that aren't safety related!!!

4 hours ago, mike NM said:

USPSA,....More rules, more rules....I gave up when "multiple "rules" could be found for an infraction.... NOW, I'm all for safety, which UPSA is good at. You would have a hard time explaining  how slightly trimming the slide lock lever would be an advantage for a shooter...... I can remember when the "rule book" was no more than a pamphlet.. My last RO certification was bask in 1991, I feel that USPSA has too many "rules" that aren't safety related!!!

It's not an advantage as much as it is altering the outward appearance of the gun. The line has to be drawn somewhere and this seems reasonable