Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foot Fault Procedurals

WJM

Using Video Evidence for Foot Fault Procedurals  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should the current USPSA rules be changed to allow video evidence to be used for Foot Fault Procedural Calls?

• Yes
    • No

On 10/18/2016 at 9:17 PM, Sarge said:

As I said , it certainly can be worked out. But why does it need worked out? Because opinions differ.

Chances are it can be worked out one way at one major, and a different way at another major

I'm ok with that -- call made differently at different matches, or at different stages -- as long as it's made consistently for every competitor at the match/stage in question.....

Both feet out on a 20 foot target is different than both feet out on a fifty yard target (assuming 2-3 feet closer to the target in each case.)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, andrewtac said:

It is not lowest common denominator at all, it is making it black and white.  While I agree with your thoughts (some situations warrant less or more penalties) I am only suggesting the change to remove the various interpretations and make it black and white.  A group consensus can be made, but there is always one who disagrees.  It is much easier to quote rules verbatim to offenders than try to explain what they really meant, in my opinion.

OK -- but I'm not sure that justifying a rule change with "it would sure be easier on the ROs" is a winning argument.  If a competitor disagrees with a call, reach out to the RM.  The RM has the time to explain it....  :-)

10 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

I'm ok with that -- call made differently at different matches, or at different stages -- 

In that case this conversation will still be going on 10 years from now.

12 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Both feet out on a 20 foot target is different than both feet out on a fifty yard target (assuming 2-3 feet closer to the target in each case.)

no it isn't. both feet out is a per-shot procedural no matter what, even if it's not any advantage at all. even if you ran further away from the targets and it took longer.

6 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

no it isn't. both feet out is a per-shot procedural no matter what, even if it's not any advantage at all. even if you ran further away from the targets and it took longer.

If you start outside, the per-shot procedural does not kick in yet...

1 hour ago, gng4life said:

If you start outside, the per-shot procedural does not kick in yet...

Perhaps the *mandatory* penalty doesn't kick in, but If there is a stage where the start position is several feet in front of the shooting area, and targets are at 50 yards or 20 yards, and the shooter stays several feet in front of the shooting area to engage them, I'm probably going to lean towards a per-shot procedural, and possibly a kick in the nuts as well.

10.2.1 A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence. However, if the competitor has gained a significant advantage on any target(s) while faulting, the competitor may instead be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired at the subject target(s) while faulting. No penalty is assessed if a competitor does not fire any shots while faulting, providing doing so does not violate (2.2.1.5 or 3.2.6) Shots fired after completely (both feet out and touching the ground) leaving a shooting area will be penalized one penalty per shot until the competitor establishes a presence in a new shooting area with at least one foot on the ground inside the shooting area.

I understand that the section in blue does not kick in if you are starting outside, but the sections in red still apply.

10 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Of course you're right -- there was a rule change; but also wrong -- if you're stating that there's no difference in advantage.... :)

12 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Of course you're right -- there was a rule change; but also wrong -- if you're stating that there's no difference in advantage.... :)

they are both significant, and since we work on a binary system of either no significant advantage, or some signicant advantage, there is no difference in advantage..... at least from a math standpoint. and english teacher might argue the shades of grey.