Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Minor @ Larger Matches

mreed911

On 9/20/2016 at 10:22 AM, ROY NEAL said:

As many of have already said-it all comes down to stage design. The SS Classic/Nationals=bring out your major gun. This is the one match where they really do go out of their way to make sure that there is no advantage to shooting minor. At many other level II or III matches, I have found that shooting minor has some advantages IF you have the skills and ability to recognize those places where the 10+1 comes in handy. With the popularity of Production, many matches are really set up for 10+1, so you may have to take both guns/ammo with you till you walk the stages and determine what works best with your skill set.

In IPSC, there really isn't a choice. They can shoot 9 rounds from any 1 position so losing time due to extra reloads is difficult to overcome.

"many matches are really set up for 10+1"

Roy has nailed it. Many stage designers give lip service to 8 round neutral but if you look closely at the stages, they are really designed for 10 rounds. The 2016 Indiana sectional match was great example of that. One extra shot and you were shooting to slide lock or had to short load between positions. I have shot a stage like that, but stage after stage it becomes clear that shooting minor might be an advantage. The best way you can see if the stage is minor friendly is if you have positions that have 8 rounds with steel. That means if you take a make-up shot, you are at slide lock from that point on.

Jay

On 1/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, Delta66 said:

Does anyone think that this year's Nationals will be different since Foley is involved?

I guess you will have to ask Mike that.

If you mean will it test all your skills and cause you to use that funny thing on the front of your gun, that will not change.:P 24 rounds or 32 rounds, that really does not matter.

Will it still rain? I guess you will have to check with a higher power on that. :)

Jay

I guess you will have to ask Mike that.

If you mean will it test all your skills and cause you to use that funny thing on the front of your gun, that will not change.[emoji14] 24 rounds or 32 rounds, that really does not matter.

Will it still rain? I guess you will have to check with a higher power on that. [emoji4]

Jay

Will the stages still have absolutely no movement? Will the 6 shot revolver guys still get screwed because the Single stack society doesn't want to build stages with a use for more than 7 rounds? Probably.

2 hours ago, PatJones said:

Will the stages still have absolutely no movement? Will the 6 shot revolver guys still get screwed because the Single stack society doesn't want to build stages with a use for more than 7 rounds? Probably.

I would think a significant number of stages will require movement as was asked by Mike. The revolver stages should be as 6 round neutral as possible, but it seems no matter what they try to do the fix that, the 8 round horse is out of the barn unfortunately. Last years stages were all 6 round neutral as possible but it seemed no cared.

Of course, this is just my speculation. :mellow:

Jay

I would think a significant number of stages will require movement as was asked by Mike. The revolver stages should be as 6 round neutral as possible, but it seems no matter what they try to do the fix that, the 8 round horse is out of the barn unfortunately. Last years stages were all 6 round neutral as possible but it seemed no cared.

Of course, this is just my speculation. :mellow:

Jay

I shot both matches last year. What stage, other than the dark house was 6-shot neutral.

You built a match that prevents 10 shooters from using their extra rounds for anything except misses. This also prevents a 6 shooter from doing anything with their extra 4 rounds after the standing reload. How is this as 6 round neutral as possible?

In single stack, the one division where major and minor compete on a level playing field, I fail to see how it serves the USPSA membership to construct a match that alienates minor caliber shooters. Ladies, juniors, seniors, anyone who handles a minor caliber pistol better is put at an additional disadvantage at this match. This was fine before it was our national championship, I do not consider it appropriate now. For the record, I made 180 at chrono.

• 1 month later...

Okay, all this Minor talk got me to thinking whether there might be an advantage to shooting Minor.  So I am building a 1911 9mm for SS Minor, and a Hicap in 9mm for Open Major and Minor.

After I finish I'll be able to shoot SS 45 Major, SS 9mm Minor, Limited 40 Major or Minor, Open 40 Major and Open 9mm Major and Minor.   I'm particularly interested to find out if a 1911 9mm has any advantage over a 40 loaded way down for Steel Challenge.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, zzt said:

I'm particularly interested to find out if a 1911 9mm has any advantage over a 40 loaded way down for Steel Challenge.

i've been shooting steel every week for half the year for the last 3-4 years, mostly shooting 40 minor through a cz, or 9mm through a 1911. They shoot pretty much the same to me, but the 9mm rounds get downrange a little quicker if you are listening for the hit before you commit to leaving the box in outer limits.

Oddly, the best scores I have had in steel came shooting my 45 1911, shooting major, so I suspect that at the A-M level, powerfactor doesn't much matter.