Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my new training looks like its helping

barebones1

Just into my second year of practical shooting. first year all IDPA 2x a month from father day last year. 57 / problematic diabetes.  Shot my first USPSA match in march and I am off to the races, completely addicted and love it.  First match 34% glock 34. Just shot my tenth match *8/3.   I built up my accuracy with a 1911 blow back bb gun, a home made plate rack I copied from this forum.  changed guns ( tanfoglio limited 40) and correct belts and accessories.  lurked here and applied training tips best I could to the bb gun setup I had to practices with. shot 6000 bbs yes 6000. accuracy went thru the roof 98 A`s 4 C`s 1 D But still shooting 50%  matches.  shot in the top 5 most accurate in 4 idpa match's in a row. So now we get to the "speed it up physical training part.   STEP one. start 300 steps on the stair master ( warm up) 20 min on the elliptical. NOTE I realized my eyes were slow to transition from target to target. Put 2 red dot on the wall across the room. While on the elliptical I mentally transition from dot to dot and fire when focused.  This has helped my target transition a lot.  Step 2 dry fire. I have 3  1 inch pvc pipes laying on the ground. 7 yds. 12 yds. and 15 yds. from the closest target. I have placed 3 used targets from matches in about the yard. I purchased a pair of weighted gloves  3 lb weight is on the back of hand. fingers thumb and palm are exposed. I use these for my dry fire.  I started at 4 second par time, draw on beep. engage all three targets 2 rounds each  ( good sight pictures) and holster before par beep goes off. this quickly went to 3 seconds , now I am at 2 seconds. your swinging 6 pounds plus your gun. I try to stick with this for 30 min. ( sweat pouring in  the Florida sun). mixing up different variations from each of the start positions. back to targets , step to right , step to left. retreat to next position.   etc.  last 5 min I take the gloves off, feels like the pistol is flying with the 6 pounds gone. so real result...shot last Saturday again 95A 3C 1D 1 M.  but at a %65 16th. I still had speed left, completely in control. My gun automatically followed my eyes to the next target.   so eye exercise combined with cardio, weighted gloves and dry fire, seems to work for me. :)

went to the range today. Testing if my weighted gloves while dry firing and cardio / eye exercises, show results. shot last Saturday in ala. shot A  64% trying to "speed it up" 93 A`s. Felt good, in complete control. ( tells me I had some speed left). surrounded by b and c shooters in the finial scoring. All in all felt real good. Oddly I think the "eye" thing helped the most. My eyes transitioned to the next target. From dry fire practice the front sight was just "there".  so with that said, live fire today. 

drill #1 draw from holster, one shot on target  "A" at 10 yds.   1.43 to 1.31. 60 rounds 57 a`s.  ( I was at 1.91 last month)

drill #2 2 targets touching at 10 yards  / 6 feet apart  / 2 targets touching @  15 yards. draw  at beep  right to left. Next time left to right.  2 per, 8 rounds total. 3.67 to 3.95    // 192 rounds. 172 A`s . 13 c` 6 D`s 1M 1B  all the b,c,d and m came on the 15 yard target. ( I practiced this in my yard with the weighted gloves) at first it was a struggle to get off 8 round of Dry fire in 4 second par time.

drill #3 one round to head at the  10yd/15yd  target array. right to left, Next left to right  20 sets / 80 rnds. 2.35 to 2.87  73 rounds scored 7 misses. once again the misses were on the 15yard targets.

2 bad primes and 2 rounds left over. 300 round live fire. Did lots of slow Mo draws and air gunning / dry fire.  while shooting this session

Showing a nice difference from one month ago. still unclassified, Shot 2 as of officially becoming a uspsa member. one @%72 ( lucky stage)

and one at %51 last week. Shooting at a ( new to me) club Sunday, can`t wait.  I probably should start a range diary and stop posting progress randomly.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you broken down which stages hurt most?

I sort things into three categories: Stand & shoot (classifiers), medium stages, and long stages.

Do you go beyond the overall percentage to track progress? For instance, if you tank classifiers then working on draws, loads, and static speed shooting are going to pay the biggest dividened. If you shoot with the A's on classifiers but are well down in the pack on long courses, your ability to sprint and set up/exit rapidly is going to be the best thing to work on.

Where are you weakest? Attack that.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2016 at 6:57 PM, barebones1 said:

Just into my second year of practical shooting. first year all IDPA 2x a month from father day last year. 57 / problematic diabetes.  Shot my first USPSA match in march and I am off to the races, completely addicted and love it.  First match 34% glock 34. Just shot my tenth match *8/3.   I built up my accuracy with a 1911 blow back bb gun, a home made plate rack I copied from this forum.  changed guns ( tanfoglio limited 40) and correct belts and accessories.  lurked here and applied training tips best I could to the bb gun setup I had to practices with. shot 6000 bbs yes 6000. accuracy went thru the roof 98 A`s 4 C`s 1 D But still shooting 50%  matches.  shot in the top 5 most accurate in 4 idpa match's in a row. So now we get to the "speed it up physical training part.   STEP one. start 300 steps on the stair master ( warm up) 20 min on the elliptical. NOTE I realized my eyes were slow to transition from target to target. Put 2 red dot on the wall across the room. While on the elliptical I mentally transition from dot to dot and fire when focused.  This has helped my target transition a lot.  Step 2 dry fire. I have 3  1 inch pvc pipes laying on the ground. 7 yds. 12 yds. and 15 yds. from the closest target. I have placed 3 used targets from matches in about the yard. I purchased a pair of weighted gloves  3 lb weight is on the back of hand. fingers thumb and palm are exposed. I use these for my dry fire.  I started at 4 second par time, draw on beep. engage all three targets 2 rounds each  ( good sight pictures) and holster before par beep goes off. this quickly went to 3 seconds , now I am at 2 seconds. your swinging 6 pounds plus your gun. I try to stick with this for 30 min. ( sweat pouring in  the Florida sun). mixing up different variations from each of the start positions. back to targets , step to right , step to left. retreat to next position.   etc.  last 5 min I take the gloves off, feels like the pistol is flying with the 6 pounds gone. so real result...shot last Saturday again 95A 3C 1D 1 M.  but at a %65 16th. I still had speed left, completely in control. My gun automatically followed my eyes to the next target.   so eye exercise combined with cardio, weighted gloves and dry fire, seems to work for me. :)

Thanks for sharing!!