Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10x barrel bushing replacement instructions

Nimitz

Thx. My search skills leave a lot to be desired ... That's the first place I went but my search turned up nothing ..... Lol ....

edit .... I see the problem now ... I actually found that thread but didn't get to page 8 where the demo is posted ....

Edited by Nimitz

43 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

Thx. My search skills leave a lot to be desired ... That's the first place I went but my search turned up nothing ..... Lol ....

edit .... I see the problem now ... I actually found that thread but didn't get to page 8 where the demo is posted ....

Understandable. I only know the page # because I was there from the thread conception, and I had to find the page myself when doing the swap!

Hopefully it goes smooth for you!

4 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

yeah, unless I'm personally involved in a thread I don't have the attention span to read through 8 pages to find what I need ...  it's either on page 1 or I'm done ...:)

Did you get it installed? Or were you the guy who posted about dropping the bushing into the garage abyss?

28 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

not yet, I've been working on one of my Steel Challenge guns ....  I was also going to go buy a pound of dry ice to cold soak it in which means not until a weekend ...

Ah you don't need to do that! Freezer works just fine. It's super easy to install! It's harder to remove the old bushing than it is to install the new one.

Just installed mine. Used 11mm 1/4" socket and a 3" socket extension. Then I taped a punch to the socket extension. Took (or 6 good wackos with a hammer and came right out. Actually came right out clean could reinstall it is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got around to changing mine out ..... 11mm socket head, steel rod and 4-5 good whacks with a real hammer.  Tried using my gunsmith brass hammer but it needs a little more encouragement than that.  10x bushing went in without issue ....

100 yd 1" groups here I come ...... :)

• 6 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 3:16 PM, Nimitz said:

Finally got around to changing mine out ..... 11mm socket head, steel rod and 4-5 good whacks with a real hammer.  Tried using my gunsmith brass hammer but it needs a little more encouragement than that.  10x bushing went in without issue ....

100 yd 1" groups here I come ...... :)

This is exactly what I did. Just remember to install a new front sight pin. Don't use the old one or it may come out in the middle of a stage at an Area match. Ask me how I know :)

Edited by robertwyatt

so this is what i did this morning....

place new bushing in freezer two hours prior to starting

take slide off gun. take barrel and recoil assembly out of slide. hold slide vertical with lower protion, the guide rod face on a piece of wood with the barrel and bushing face over the edge. insert chosen socket into slide to the front as if it was a barrel. use anything long enough and strong enough to be able to hit it with a hammer and have that force transferred to the socket. i used just a long punch with a large enough diameter as i didn't have the right kind of socket extension nor the inclination to build a slide hammer apparatus. hold slide vertical and steady while also holding punch, extension or driver steady and off cartridge rail of slide. hit with hammer until bushing falls out. for me, 5 moderately firm hits with a brass hammer.

clean out old bushing hole w clean rag. very lightly oil outside of new bushing. align sight roll pin hole with appropriate part of sight/slide. gently push new bushing in so that is is just held in with friction and properly squared up to the slide. holding slide in hand with the bushing facing downward, tap the bushing and slide on a piece of wood until fully seated. wipe away any excess. reassemble and check for fit and function. check proper allignment of sight roll pin groove. install new roll pin.

reassemble gun. apply light film of oil to inside diameter of bushing where barrel slides in and out of it. go shoot it!

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

so this is what i did this morning....

place new bushing in freezer two hours prior to starting

take slide off gun. take barrel and recoil assembly out of slide. hold slide vertical with lower protion, the guide rod face on a piece of wood with the barrel and bushing face over the edge. insert chosen socket into slide to the front as if it was a barrel. use anything long enough and strong enough to be able to hit it with a hammer and have that force transferred to the socket. i used just a long punch with a large enough diameter as i didn't have the right kind of socket extension nor the inclination to build a slide hammer apparatus. hold slide vertical and steady while also holding punch, extension or driver steady and off cartridge rail of slide. hit with hammer until bushing falls out. for me, 5 moderately firm hits with a brass hammer.

clean out old bushing hole w clean rag. very lightly oil outside of new bushing. align sight roll pin hole with appropriate part of sight/slide. gently push new bushing in so that is is just held in with friction and properly squared up to the slide. holding slide in hand with the bushing facing downward, tap the bushing and slide on a piece of wood until fully seated. wipe away any excess. reassemble and check for fit and function. check proper allignment of sight roll pin groove. install new roll pin.

reassemble gun. apply light film of oil to inside diameter of bushing where barrel slides in and out of it. go shoot it!

Thanks, Rowdy. Looking forward to your feedback on it. 

My TS came with a bushing that very closely fit the barrel.  That upper was extremely accurate.  Accuracy deteriorated over time in such small increments that I did not notice it.  It turns out the bushing material was soft.  I obtained a second upper for the gun, and that bushing was .008" over the OD of the barrel.  Accuracy sucked.  I had a machinist make a new bushing  out of hard tool steel.  Accuracy improved to same bullet hole at 15 yds.  So I decided to try a 10X bushing in the original upper.  Accuracy was improved to what it was originally, but not quite as good as the custom bushing.  The 10X is really good, so I wouldn't go to the additional expense and time of having a custom bushing made.  Time will tell.  I have about 20,000 rounds through the original bushing.  We'll see how well the 10X holds up.

I'm getting ready to install my bushing, how much POA/poi changes should I be expecting at 25y?

Edit,

Well I butchered the old bushing.. and some how hit the end of slide rail a little bit too. How can I go about smoothing out said peened edge. Some sort of stone? Where can I get the needed tools? I ended up destroying a front sight pin, had to use a drill bit to fit. Opened up the bushing, new pin went in easily. I'm happy I bought two spare front sight pins lol.

But wow off hand 10 yards I'm getting touching groups. I was able to hit a full size ipsc target out from 70 yards with little difficulty. Really fun. Barrel only comes out one way, barely at that does go in easily tho.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I installed a 10X bushing on my Shadow 2 tonight.  Overall a fairly smooth process.  Used an 11mm socket with a 1/4" extension and an allen wrench to bang out the old bushing.  I had some of that thin foam for packaging laying around so I lined the inside of the slide with that.  Took a few whacks with my little brass hammer; it was uneventful thankfully.  The factory bushing was surprisingly worn on the bottom for how new it still is.  I might have 500-600 rounds through the gun and there was a noticeably sharp 'U' shaped edge on the bottom.

Tossed the 10X in the freezer for a while.  I was originally going to install it in the morning but decided to give it a whirl tonight.  It didn't slip in like it has for other folks, I had to tap it with a mallet.  The groove lined up nicely though and I didn't have to do any fitting for the sight pin so that was a plus.  Still cycles as smooth as it did before but the lockup is noticeably tighter.  Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.