Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling front sight install on Tanfoglio.

dogtired

I am learning how to use my mini mill and there turns out to be a lot to know.  Of course I am buying up a bunch of parts and guns to do some home gunsmithing projects (mostly because I am bored).  My question is this:

The host.

C7C9F86C-8621-4FE4-B8CA-EE370392CF78_zps

I have a Tanfoglio EAA witness with the milled in front sight.  I would like to replace it with something more useful.  Of course a conventional dovetail is possible but I am looking at the traditional linear tanfoglio sight cut, or even a revolver type cut with a pinned in blank.  In my Googling efforts, I can't find a dovetail cutter for the Tanfo front sight, or how to cut the pocket for a revolver front sight.  

Below is my junk slide used for practice.  I milled off the sight and would like some guidance on technique.

5B2D00BD-20AF-47B0-82A7-B581D4252AB7_zps

These slides are hard, I discovered the joy of carbide with this.

For the pin on type sight, you would use a carbide woodruff key cutter with the slide turned on it's side in the mill vise, then a carbide drill to do the pin hole.

For the dovetail, you would use a 3/16" carbide end mill to hog out most of the meat and a carbide dovetail cutter from Brownell's or Harvey Tool to do the undercuts on either side.

Edit to add: If you are doing the front to back dovetail, it is skinnier than the side to side ones. Do not use a 3/16 straight end mill for that one.

Edited by Toolguy

I will measure a Tanfo front sight when I get home. I had a link to the correct dovetail cutter in my old phone but I lost it when I upgraded. 

The dovetail cutter they use for the removable front sight is a special size, seems like it was a 3/16 by 70 degree. 

Edited by MrPostman
Added content

3 hours ago, dogtired said:

I measured a front at 70*, looks slightly larger than 3/16 at 0.2.

It is larger somewhat but it will work. They probably use a metric dovetail cutter  for the factory cuts.

Edited by MrPostman
Correction

11 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I would do a cross cut dovetail and use a 1911 front sight, much easier.

yep, no need to worry about centering the cut then. and there's so many 1911 front sight options in type, width, height etc. easy to find the right dovetail cutter too.