Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One or both eyes open while shooting?

Hotchkiss

Both eyes open will help with faster target acquisition. If you were doing precision rifle or bullseye you may see benefits to shooting with only your dominant eye open (provided you're strong side and dominant eye line up)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, michael1one said:

Do it when you are young

Oops, too late for me, I'm 72.    :huh:

Hey, guys, no more "old guys" jokes.    :P

Fortunately, I started shooting with both eyes open

when I first got into IPSC/USPSA (I was ONLY 45 then).

I'm also a left eye dominant, right handed shooter. When shooting iron sight pistols I have both eyes open but my head is turned slightly to the right because I'm using my left with the sights. I've just started practicing for PCC, with a dot on my rifle I'm working on both eyes open with my right eye on the dot. That's been interesting because my natural tendency with a rifle is to close my left eye when looking down the sight.

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely shoot with both eyes closed and hope for the best. :P     It hasn't worked out too well for me.  LOL!

Seriously though, I do shoot with both eyes open.  It was LEO and military training that did that and I'm glad because as someone else mentioned, it helps with situational awareness, let alone looking for your next target in competition. :)

My eyes are pretty messed up and I learned to shoot both eyes open initially.. now doing the tape trick while dry firing and i feel it help my accuracy and still allows me that "situational awareness"