Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One or both eyes open while shooting?

Hotchkiss

For those of you that shoot any sort of action shooting -- Steel Challenge, USPSA, IDPA, SASS, ICORE, etc. do you typically shooting with both eyes open or one closed?

Do you use iron sights, dots or optics? Have you noticed a difference?

Does it differ between long guns and handguns for you? Thanks.

I can only speak for me personally, but with both my irons and RMR pistols I shoot with both eyes open. I feel like I have a better sight picture and can track targets faster. I also shoot my carbines with red dots the same way. When I shoot long range with magnified optics I shoot with one closed. Full disclosure I don't shoot long range competitively, just target shooting and hunting, so take that with a grain of salt.

I am all over the place.  I am right-handed cross dominant.  When I shot trap I shot righty and used the Magic Dot (tape works as well) which is set up to block your dom eye from seeing the barrel/bead but both eyes can see the target.  Rifles I just close my left eye with iron sights or magnified scope, two eyes with red dots.  Pistols I shoot with my left eye, both open.  I am fairly new to serious pistol shooting but two eyes open seems easiest to me, although there are shooters who shoot well with one eye closed or tape.

• 3 weeks later...

Both eyes open---it was a struggle at first (being left eye dominant and right handed)----had to have my contacts adjusted to block front sight out form left eye (made stronger)----works great-forces right eye to take over and improves distance sight picture!!!  I do use a fiber optic front sight as these old eyes will be 60 in a couple of weeks!!!

Irons or dots, long gun or handgun, I shoot with both eyes open.  Growing up i was taught to close the non-dominant eye, so it took quite a bit of practice to learn how to shoot with both eyes open.  

Long range shooting i still close my non-dominant eye.

Edited by uewpew
grammar check...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New shooter here and also cross dominant. Getting use on shooting with both eyes open with pistol.  With rifle, i shoot with closed left eye. I am doing it right? Any good advice shooting with rifle? Thank you.

To echo everyone else's sentiment, both eyes open for pistol and carbine. It may seem difficult at first, but practice dry firing, target acquisition and transitions at home and you'll find yourself picking it up fairly quickly. 

• 1 month later...

I have been a long time 1 eye guy but since picking up a red dot for my glock I have been trying to keep both eyes open on all guns. It is hard at first but it is definitely an advantage when you learn to keep both eyes open

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot for a long time with one eye closed ; but I try to work on keeping both eyes open, especially on pistol strings. I'm finding that the more I work at it, the easier it is and the more accurate my shot placement is.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a tip I give to new shooters that come to the range I work at. I tell them that I also started shooting with my dominant eye closed when I first started shooting as a kid and it stuck with me till I got into competition shooting and using RDS' on rifles. What helped me during range sessions was to acquire the target/bullseye like I normally would with one eye closed and then I would open up my non dominant eye to get the sight picture I needed with both eyes open. 

Did that for a few range sessions and slowly brought speed into the mix. After a few months, it became second nature to pick up the front sight with my dominant eye with both eyes open. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been a painful subject for me.  While I really would like to shoot with both eyes open, it seems like with my contacts, it isn't possible because the sight clarity is absolutely horrible.  Unfortunately, I have a pretty bad prescription so there isn't a whole lot of options.  I am considering getting lasik next year and readdressing the subject.  If you can do it, use both eyes.  The biggest detriment to shooting with one eye is that your transitions will be much slower.