Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's talk about different gas lengths with adjustable gas blocks

Maxamundo

Column of gas under pressure acts like a spring.  Math says it's a spring.  That's what didn't get discussed in the earlier examination of the problem.  The nature of the springiness of the gas column (?) (my old English teacher would not like that construction, I 'spect....) in the short pistol length systems is much stiffer, at 20Kpsi gas in the column than the longer rifle length tube at 5Kpsi pressure at the tap.  Short, stiff spring is going to give a mechanical system a totally different 'feel' than  a longer, more limber one.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎.‎5‎.‎2017 at 8:38 PM, Optimist said:

Column of gas under pressure acts like a spring.  Math says it's a spring.  That's what didn't get discussed in the earlier examination of the problem.  The nature of the springiness of the gas column (?) (my old English teacher would not like that construction, I 'spect....) in the short pistol length systems is much stiffer, at 20Kpsi gas in the column than the longer rifle length tube at 5Kpsi pressure at the tap.  Short, stiff spring is going to give a mechanical system a totally different 'feel' than  a longer, more limber one.

Would be true if not connected to much bigger vessel i.e. the barrel.