Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vacuum Cleaners

I'm thinking about moving my reloading equipment into my "man-cave" in the house.  The room is carpeted.

My question for everyone is, does anyone have first hand knowledge of a primer detonating when sucked up in a vacuum cleaner?  At price of a good vacuum cleaner, I don't want to blow one up, of course there is also the effect on the Wife if she is the vacuum operator.

Keith

guilty. Wife was running our $700 dyson vacuum and it made a nice 'bang' it seems it detonated in the powered brush head area. no noticeable damage to the vacuum which was good. I'm sure it's sucked up plenty of others that didn't go boom though.

my advice is put down one of those plastic sheets they use in offices to stop chair wheels tearing up carpet. The carpet under my bench is white wool and it's basically wrecked from drops of powder, the odd primer and the odd drip of oil off the ram. wife is not super pleased. 

I will say I do enjoy reloading inside the house much more than in the garage. :)

just do something to protect the carpet. 

Edited by BeerBaron

I have 2 larger clear ANTI-STATIC mats over the carpet

I keep a well marked SCRAP POWDER canister and funnel

for powder spills on the bench or press, swept up with a brush and a pan.

I also have a photogs squeeze dust bulb (forerunner to canned air)

to keep everything cleaned up. 

Edited by moonman16

I reload alot.......don't understand how anyone would spill a bunch of powder reloading...say 1,000 rounds.  Enlighten me on HOW you are spilling alot of powder, cause last time I checked, the powder get's loaded into the powder tube (no spillage there), then get's dropped into empty cases (no spillage there either), then get's emptied back into powder jug  ( I don't spill here either).  Now maybe when you remove a round every so often to verify the powder drop....may spill a few grains.

I stand by my earlier statement.

My bench sits in a carpeted room as well.  I have never spilled more than a few grains from a case.  Most of what ends up on the carpet are the spent primers that the Dillon 550 spits everywhere.  I keep a small Shop Vac beside the bench for clean up. 

I wouldn't say I spill a lot of powder but it has happened.

I've had a primer go off in a lee loadmaster which set off about 20 primers in the chute and launched the primer tray which at the time had about another 60 in there. didn't quite get all those back.

dropped powder, the biggest cause is if there's a hang up for some reason on the bullet feeder and then a bullet drops onto the charge case when the case is down at the bottom of the stroke. that bullet striking the top of the case can cause a good bit of powder to hit the floor.

also I'm loading 38 super major with 10.4gn of 3N38 which is so fine it's like dust. very full case too. so little fumbles like that can create some powder spill.

the other one is when occasionally weighing a charged case, might bump it or drop it. this all happens very, very rarely (usually when setting up a new load, or new bullet type in the feeder) but it can happen. 

This post made me chuckle! Years ago I used to load in the house on carpeted floors. Oklahoma summers can be brutally hot and my wife is very understanding and didn't mind my reloading in the house. But, my wife would always let me know when our Kirby vacuum would detonate a primer and or powder that managed to make it on the floor. Frankly is scared the heck out of her! However no damage occurred to the Kirby or my wife.