Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 minor loaded long (for STI)?

Bwidpa

Trying to use the same gun for both USPSA and IDPA (STI Trojan 40, single stack major uspsa, ESP in IDPA with 10 round mags). Anybody loading 40 minor for an STI? Mine likes them to be 1.18 OAL or longer.  I use 1.20 OAL for my major load.  A lot of powders at hand (except Clays, which most people suggest).  I have a shorter minor load of 3.1 gr Titegroup at 1.125 with 180 bayou out of an m&p.  Just looking for some starting points so I'm not wasting a lot of time at my chrono with all the hot weather. Was thinking of Titegroup, w231, or WST to start with. Would like to keep bullet weight at 180, since that's what I cast and have on hand.  I have many different weights of recoil springs to play with so changing it is not a problem.  I know this topic is all over the forums, but can't find much for longer OALs.  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Alaskapopo said:

Just work up a load. You probably only need 2 tenths of a grain more to get the velocity you want with the longer OAL. Thats what I did.

Pat

That was what I was planning on, just wanted to see what others have had luck with.  Also, wanted to hear what options I have with other powders.  How is the extra space in the case effecting standard deviation on your loads and your groups? I've read on here that some people have noticed erratic velocities with some powders at low charge weights, anybody else?

One easy solution is to just drop bullet weight

I use 180's now mostly for major and use the same load with Bayou 140gr for steel /minor load.

I don't change anything just the bullet and get a really nice shooting load for minor applications.

The OAL is slightly shorter if I go from a RN 200gr to the 140 BUT about the same from the Bayou 180 TC to the 140 TC

10 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I use 180's now mostly for major and use the same load with Bayou 140gr for steel /minor load.

I don't change anything just the bullet and get a really nice shooting load for minor applications.

The OAL is slightly shorter if I go from a RN 200gr to the 140 BUT about the same from the Bayou 180 TC to the 140 TC

Have you chrono' both loads? What difference in power factor just dropping bullet weight?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On August 31, 2016 at 6:30 PM, jcc7x7 said:

+1. Easy & works great!  If you go back and forth between Major & Minor it is super handy.

Bayou 140TCG at 1.180 with 4.4gr WST made 140PF out of mine (5" bbl).   Same load with Bayou 180TCG ran 168PF.

• 2 weeks later...

Just be careful if you need to maintain a minor PF, especially if you change bullet manufacturers or styles in the process of dropping weight.

My Major load is 180 grain blue bullets loaded with 4.7 grains of N320 at 1.185".  Gets me an avg of 170 PF in my 5.5" Freedom.  I tried 140 grain lbejiheads at the same load specs and I dropped to 115 avg PF and had to drop from a 12lb to a 11lb recoil spring to get perfect cycling.  I think the drastic change was due to both a weight change and a huge change in bearing surface between the bullets I was using.

I think I've decided to use 165 grain Blue Bullets with 4.0 grains N320 for Steel Challenge.   Shoots really nice, but I haven't had a chance to chrono them yet.

I could recommend Clay Dot since you do not want to use Clays :) . 

I ended up liking about 140-145 pf, same gun , 180 bayou, 1.18. Soft shooting but enough extra oomph so that you didn't get hosed on steel that was very slow sometimes or just would not fall at all with a good hit 100% of the time. 

The only thing I don't like about shooting 9 is that occasionally you will take a hit on the scoresheet with steel targets.