Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite optic for PCC

I was using a Holosun 510c with the riser plate and liked that optic a lot.  I used only the red dot reticle and not the circle/dot reticle because I felt the later was too busy. After attending a match in the rain I switched to an Eotech to prevent issues with the open emitter on the Holosun. Upon switching I knew I would have to get use to the circle/dot reticle which is the only option in the Eotech. What I found is I am noticeably faster with the Eotech. Especially on steel targets. Not sure why,  but I have a feeling the eye intuitively tells the trigger finger to move once I have decent coverage of the circle over the plate. My miss far less steel now with the Eotech. 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running the Holosun 510c (red) for a few years now. Great dot, but I run the Holosun 503BU (discontinued) and 503GU on my 5.56 SBRs and I actually prefer the micro tube of the 503 to the more open style of the 510. I'll probably end up switching my 510s to 503s in the future. I'd also be interested in trying out the 512 being that the emitter is enclosed.

• 1 month later...

I have a 510 too, works pretty well. I may build another gun and try the 512 on it, should be better on rainy day matches. I find the bigger and more important the match the higher the odds I'll be shooting in the rain. So far I've shot one USPSA nationals and one IDPA rained on my time slot for both matches. 

On 8/16/2021 at 7:48 AM, JDIllon said:

I should try the 512 also it looks pretty nice. Buy here in Florida the 510C work fine and is priced less. JD

512 is nice. Just stuck to absolute cowitness if you use it. Otherwise youll need to use a pic riser. No biggy.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After staring into the sun on East/West facing ranges one too many times, I can confidently say the giant circle in a holographic like the UH-1 is my new favorite. The center dot might wash out like every other optic, but that giant circle is still there for me to pick up.

At the NTX Open last year I was able to slam A's into a head shot / no shoot directly into the morning sun on our first stage because of that big circle. My buddy running a single dot slammed a beautiful pair into the A zone as well, except his was in the no shoot because he had to point shoot it 😅

We changed from C-more Railway 6MOA to Vortex Sparc tube type with 2MOA dot. After shooting 2-gun Nationals with the C-mores in the rain and 4" & stacked targets @ 40-60 plus yards I realized there has to be a better solution. Shooting into the Texas sun I have never had it wash out. Actually have to turn it down quite a bit.  Works great. I think that is the difference between the open type red dots and closed tubes.

gerritm

Along the lines of what @gerritmsaid, I like the Vortex Strikefire. It has a 30 mm tube and 4MOA dot. It also has a Kill Flash option which helps shooting into the sun as well as mitigating flash produced by the objective lens.  I find that the huge 30 mm tube and 4 MOA dot are great features.  They provide a wide field of view and the 4 MOA dot can turned up for closer work and turned down for far away work. At low brightness it is still very visible and acts like a 2 MOA dot. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I was using a Holosun 510c with the riser plate and liked that optic a lot.  I used only the red dot reticle and not the circle/dot reticle because I felt the later was too busy. After attending a match in the rain I switched to an Eotech to prevent issues with the open emitter on the Holosun. Upon switching I knew I would have to get use to the circle/dot reticle which is the only option in the Eotech. What I found is I am noticeably faster with the Eotech. Especially on steel targets. Not sure why,  but I have a feeling the eye intuitively tells the trigger finger to move once I have decent coverage of the circle over the plate. My miss far less steel now with the Eotech. 

What Eotech model are you using?  I have two Holosun 510C-GR and love them but don't want to deal with rain and open emitter issues.

12 minutes ago, Stefan77 said:

What Eotech model are you using? 

I have a bunch.  Mostly EXPS3 and EXPS2 models.  I would stick with the EXPS models because they come with an incorporated quick detach mount.  The XPS model requires you purchase a mounting device for the optic. I get a deal on EoTechs, or I might have gone the Aimpoint T2 route for some of the optics I own due to the bomb proof nature of the Aimpoints.  Some have indicated they have had zero shift issues with EoTechs.  I have had none to date.  Also with the EoTech when using a magnifier the dot/ring does not get magnified as much as a red dot does.  Something else to consider for certain.   

I run the EoTech EXPS models with their G33 3X magnifier, using the Unity FAST system.  Something to not is the Unity FAST system will not work with the G43 or G45 magnifiers because the are too large in diameter.  Only the G33 will work with the FAST mount.  Pretty slick system and its an amazing setup for matches 300 yds. and in.  If I go out past that I prefer an LPVO setup with a 45 degree offset red dot.

Edited by Boomstick303
1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have a bunch.  Mostly EXPS3 and EXPS2 models.  I would stick with the EXPS models because they come with an incorporated quick detach mount.  The XPS model requires you purchase a mounting device for the optic. I get a deal on EoTechs, or I might have gone the Aimpoint T2 route for some of the optics I own due to the bomb proof nature of the Aimpoints.  Some have indicated they have had zero shift issues with EoTechs.  I have had none to date.  Also with the EoTech when using a magnifier the dot/ring does not get magnified as much as a red dot does.  Something else to consider for certain.   

I run the EoTech EXPS models with their G33 3X magnifier, using the Unity FAST system.  Something to not is the Unity FAST system will not work with the G43 or G45 magnifiers because the are too large in diameter.  Only the G33 will work with the FAST mount.  Pretty slick system and its an amazing setup for matches 300 yds. and in.  If I go out past that I prefer an LPVO setup with a 45 degree offset red dot.

Thanks, I am probably going to try out an EXPS  on my JP5.  I thought about a T2 but I just don't know.  I heard about "older" Eotechs having shift issues with extreme temperature changes but that has supposedly been fixed. 

12 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

It would seem that yes that the thermal drift has been fixed.  This loss of zero is not due to thermal drift.  Something mechanical with the optic, but I have yet to see it.  

Aaaahhhh, not thermal shift.  Who knows what caused that?  Rifle, bumping the optic?  I was practicing with my GMR15 before a match and realized my 510C was off by about 4-5" and that could have been me bumping it putting it in the safe or something else.  Weird stuff happens but I sure was happy that I discovered it practicing and not at the match (then there are loud angry voices😡).