Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw to first round: Dry vs Live Fire

taco101

In practice I noticed that my time to first round from the holster was about 1.6.  Unsat.  So I really put effort into dry firing.  At home with a  .6 to .7 par time set I can now draw to an acceptable sight picture.  Last night at live fire practice I could only get to 1.04 with most being 1.1-1.2.  An improvement for sure,  but why the disparity between dryfire and live fire times?

don't cheat your self.. thinking about it to much will cause that and anticipating recoil will slow you down also. your times are about on par with other shooters and along with getting the perfect grip and sight alignment. setting the timer start to variable delay will greatly help also, so that you are not jumping the gun so to speak. you should have no stress at all through the arms and shoulders and neck area, there again thinking about the recoil. Also be sure you are doing a follow through when the sights are aligned and the trigger has been pressed, trying not to rush the `practice. Could also be that when on the range lighting conditions, stance and weather is different then indoors. You may want to do some dryfire outside to get the full effect.

I think there are a lot of possible reasons for this. Comfort in dry fire, mental block of moving full speed with a loaded gun, could be a little sloppy in dry fire, just not enough reps yet, etc.

Perhaps something to try is having a dry fire session in the middle of your live fire session.

You went from a 1.6 to a 1.1. That's a huge improvement. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will get faster. Use a Par during live fire too so you have an indicator to race against.

I have the same issue, dry fast - live slow, and about the same times.

But I've now realize the dry site picture is "not good enough" and I'm taking more time live to improve it.  also finding eye focus issues and trying tape on the weak eye lens.